Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several threads on the subject today I'm more confused now than when I left the dealer and from what I've read in the OM.

I purchased my 2.4/Auto Renegade this past Saturday. After signing papers I briefly asked about break-in. I was told to drive as I normally would. That's really vague as he had no clue what normal is for me.

First, the dealership is at-least 40 miles from my home. If I recall correctly I varied speeds from 50mph with traffic congestion to possibly 70mph on some toll roads, but don't know for sure. Since then I've mainly been on the freeway with speeds averaging 60-65mph and even caught myself going up to 70.

I've just hit the hundred mile mark and wondering how to handle the remainder of my break-in period.?

Am I worrying for nothing about what I did previously? Did it really effect anything?

A regular commute for me would be on the freeway taking my kid to school 12 miles away, coming home the same route and repeating this to pick her up at the end of the day, so about 48 miles a day with 8 of those on side roads.

I could mix it up and avoid the freeway altogether and travel through stop and go lights if it were better or even stay in the slow lane on the freeway.

What would be best for me to assure the best mpg later?

Thanks

· Registered
132 Posts
Read the manual. It says a long break in period isn't required. Drive moderately the first 300 miles. After the first 60 miles speeds up to 50 to 55 mph are desireable. While cruising, brief full throttle acceleration within the limits of local laws contributes to a good break in.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll take the side roads that do seem to vary in speeds. Since I'm past the 60 miles should I be hitting the "50 to 55" mark now and then on these side roads with what I've already described in my Renagade's short history?

As far as the manual, which I mentioned I read, words like "moderately" seem a bit vague and added to my not fully understanding. Others have repeated this in various threads. No biggy. My anal retentive ways and a vague description are a recipe for disaster.

Thanks

· Registered
21 Posts
Took my new Renegade from Atlanta and drove it home to Michigan. However, I took the scenic route into North Carolina, through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, into Gatlinburg, then I-75 for the rest of the way. 700 miles with various starts, stops, hills, coasting and stuff. Drives just fine now.

· Registered
21 Posts
Nice!! Exactly what I'm looking for. Did you do your first oil change yet?
Only have 2000 miles on it presently. It spent a week and a half in the shop, mostly because it was determined the battery had gone bad. It was a 2015 that I bought brand new a month ago, mostly left over because it was a manual and they were almost giving it away. (Who wants to drive a manual in Atlanta traffic? Or as I've said before, "ATLANTA: Where throw-out bearings go to die...")

M....

· Registered
31 Posts
If I was freeway driving, I'd just drop my speed so I could rev up the engine for a minute or so. Varying speeds/revs is key and don't redline it early. I treated it like this for my first 2-3k miles. Just over 5K now. Seems like it worked well...but I guess I'll know more much further down the road!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. This past week I've stuck to nothing but side roads, revving it up now and then, but yes never to the point of red lining. Just hit 300 miles. Next week I planned on mixing it up a bit more including the slow lane on the freeway. What's speeds would would I top out at on the high side, 55-60? 60-65?

· Registered
263 Posts
Your fine to drive it up to 100 now if you really want. The under 60 rule only really matters for the first 50-60 miles. Vary Engine speed for the first 1200 miles, once past this mark your broken in.

Personally I usually get the oil changed at 5000 miles, At that point is when I really start to open up the engines aka hit redline, drive like an arse etc etc etc. I have had many a new vehicle be it NA or Turbo, and they have all broken in properly. Oh never buy a Subaru, they will always burn oil. Period.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.