Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's normal. Watch this guy's video. He breaks it down pretty good. He's very amusing also.

I bought my car in August of 2017. At 4000 or so miles I checked the oil. I was almost 2 Qts low. I brought it to the dealer, they told me it was normal and gave me a free oil change. I believed them as soon as they said "It takes 0w20 oil". They did tell me to bring it back in exactly 4k miles so they could double check it. I didn't bother, and went 5500 miles (9500 total on the car). That' when the oil light started flickering and it stalled around turns a couple times. Brought it home immediately and checked the oil. It had just a bit of oil on the very tip of the stick. I drained the oil and measured what was left. 2.5 qts left out of 5.5. So in exactly 5500 miles, I consumed exactly 3 quarts. My only question/complaint is, If these engines are designed to consume oil, why wait until more than half the crankcase is empty for a heads-up? Granted, the engine is still fine running on only 2.5 qts. The flickering light comes first, then the stall is your final warning.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My only question/complaint is,
Which is it then? :unsure:

If these engines are designed to consume oil, why wait until more than half the crankcase is empty for a heads-up? Granted, the engine is still fine running on only 2.5 qts. The flickering light comes first, then the stall is your final warning.
This is a similar post to the guy that ran out of petrol x2.

Perhaps it is merely down to ignorance of the cars mechanics and numerous dashboard lights that confuse some people. Whilst this a reasonable reply I can still imagine people not associating AMBER as "pre-warning" and RED as a "final warning" before catastrophic failure may occur.

Drivers need to imagine the lights on their dash board like Traffic Lights:

• Green - OK
  • Amber- Hmm start thinking and have it checked
  • Red- I'm in the danger zone and need to get off the road immediately and have a fault rectified.
Yet they don't!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is it then? :unsure:

This is a similar post to the guy that ran out of petrol x2.

Perhaps it is merely down to ignorance of the cars mechanics and numerous dashboard lights that confuse some people. Whilst this a reasonable reply I can still imagine people not associating AMBER as "pre-warning" and RED as a "final warning" before catastrophic failure may occur.

Drivers need to imagine the lights on their dash board like Traffic Lights:

• Green - OK
  • Amber- Hmm start thinking and have it checked
  • Red- I'm in the danger zone and need to get off the road immediately and have a fault rectified.
Yet they don't!!!
A) It's a question AND a complaint. The question is rhetorical. It's really a complaint.
And
B) What the 'ef are you talking about in a condescending tone. There is no green, amber or red warning lights for the oil. At three qts low I got a couple of red, split-second flickers of an oil symbol on the speedo, but nothing that stayed lit. It is NOT a oil level warning, like the fuel tank. It's an oil pressure warning. When you turn a corner or throttle up too quick with low oil. The oil shifts, and the oil pump runs dry for a split second. A split-second, and you get a flicker. Anything more demanding, like hard throttle, and the motor shuts down for safety.
My complaint is, If it's normal to drink oil, put a low oil sensor in the reservoir. When you're a qt low, a light should go on. Not three quarts, and you have to worry about stalling.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My friends Audi has a LCD oil level display indicator on the dash that visually tells you the oil level. The catch ? There ain't no flipping dipstick ! You add oil according to the light.

Oh, it uses oil also....

Since Jeep KNOWS about the oil consumption issue, they could've easily incorporated such a display on our dash. Nope, they went with the "super-secret-you'll-find-out-after-you buy-it" methodology. One of their "Easter Eggs" if you will. Because if potential owners/shoppers KNEW of the consumption issue, most likely they'd be scared away. That hurts sales. Sales are what counts. Don't worry about the oil level, look for the Italian Spider we hid somewhere.

Keep adding oil, it's not a problem. Jeep/Fiats answer to the issue. They don't have to address it because it clearly states in your Jeep Owners Manual to check it at every fill up. That's like every 300 miles or so (no problem if you drive oh, 5 miles a day). They got their butts covered. But they were thoughtful enough to design the engine to shut down when oil was low, so as to not frag itself. Back-assward thinking if you ask me.

I drive a lot (75+ miles a day) and check my oil 2-3 a week. A WEEK. One day it'll be fine, next time it's 1/4 quart low. Ya got me as to where it goes so fast.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What the 'ef are you talking about in a condescending tone. There is no green, amber or red warning lights for the oil. At three qts low I got a couple of red, split-second flickers of an oil symbol on the speedo, but nothing that stayed lit.
There is no condescension in my reply.

I pointed out that people get easily confused and often ignore dash board lights.

Red is a danger light. You have been suffering a red light so get it checked. That much is plain and simple.

But to come on here asking for advice then saying you are complaining is so wrong IMHO. Who are you complaining at because no one in this forum is connected to Jeep?

Now why not politley freck off or better still visit your dealership and start whining at them like a little petulant child. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
300 Posts
A) It's a question AND a complaint. The question is rhetorical. It's really a complaint.
And
B) What the 'ef are you talking about in a condescending tone. There is no green, amber or red warning lights for the oil. At three qts low I got a couple of red, split-second flickers of an oil symbol on the speedo, but nothing that stayed lit. It is NOT a oil level warning, like the fuel tank. It's an oil pressure warning. When you turn a corner or throttle up too quick with low oil. The oil shifts, and the oil pump runs dry for a split second. A split-second, and you get a flicker. Anything more demanding, like hard throttle, and the motor shuts down for safety.
My complaint is, If it's normal to drink oil, put a low oil sensor in the reservoir. When you're a qt low, a light should go on. Not three quarts, and you have to worry about stalling.
You do have a low oil sensor in the reservoir. It's called a Dip Stick, and should be used by the owner at regular intervals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you change the oil yourself you will find that it almost takes 6 quarts of oil to get the oil to the top of the hatch marks. Like maybe 5.80 or 5.85 quarts and that checking it like they recommend in the books. My daughters jeep has also been consuming oil also but not as bad. Over a quart at 5,000 miles with 22,000 miles on it. I’m going to try 5w20 this oil change and see how it does and then if that don’t help after that I’m going to do an engine flush and try 0w20 Amsoil. These Renegades are plagued with problems. She also has encountered the filling it up problem also, nozzle clicking off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my daughters Renegade back from the dealer today. We talked about a few things and he was very familiar with the oil consumption of these Renegades. I’ve been doing a lot of studying myself. He Said if they aren’t using more than 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles there’s nothing he can really do. He told me these engines are basically internally burning the oil because of the high temps and the thin oil these engines run. I actually think my daughters renegade only burned a quart within the 5000 Mike mark. The last dealer only put what the engine called for which was 5.5 quarts and this new dealer confirmed with me it actually takes closer to 6 quarts, like 5.80 or 5.85 to top it off to the top of the hatch marks And he told me it was ok to top it off. So if you just use 5.5 quarts. You’re already 1/4 quart below the top hatch mark. So what I’m going to do now is switch my oil to Amsoil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just got my daughters Renegade back from the dealer today. We talked about a few things and he was very familiar with the oil consumption of these Renegades. I’ve been doing a lot of studying myself. He Said if they aren’t using more than 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles there’s nothing he can really do. He told me these engines are basically internally burning the oil because of the high temps and the thin oil these engines run. I actually think my daughters renegade only burned a quart within the 5000 Mike mark. The last dealer only put what the engine called for which was 5.5 quarts and this new dealer confirmed with me it actually takes closer to 6 quarts, like 5.80 or 5.85 to top it off to the top of the hatch marks And he told me it was ok to top it off. So if you just use 5.5 quarts. You’re already 1/4 quart below the top hatch mark. So what I’m going to do now is switch my oil to Amsoil and see if that helps.
@Cordell,
Thank you for sharing your findings here. If you find that this concern is not resolved, please feel free to reach out to us privately. We would be happy to assist you alongside your dealer.

Kathryn
JeepCares

1 - 9 of 9 Posts