Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Jeep with the 2.4 in it with about 18,000 miles. I have noticed the antifreeze is ever so slowly going down. I will need to add soon as the plastic fill container is now almost empty. This has been happening sense it was bought. As I said a very slow leak or evaporation. I didn’t pay much attention to it at first because it will vary some with temperature but now I am certain. I looked very closely for any external leaks and can’t find one. Now I fear it is internal. Question I have is, is this normal for the level to change over a long period of time? Other vehicles I have had, I never had to add. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have not had this problem In my 2018 Latitude. If it is internal i would check the oil and see if its milky looking just to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just over 12,000 miles on my 2017 2.4. Had to buy antifreeze and add some as it was slowly getting lower. I have checked the oil dipstick and see NO milky substance...also no leaks on the cement, on the engine or anywhere...I will just keep checking as I do the oil ever so often.:(

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
You both have leaks. Check the hose connections for weeping. Especially on the header tank.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty does that from time to time, always has. Granted, it now has over 260,000 miles on the original engine but it does not burn one drop of oil and has never left her stranded. I went through the "why ?" phase with hers, could never find out why except for one time I didn't have the cap on the bottle fully tight.

There is no rhyme or reason why it drops, it can go 10 months or more at full, the one day it'll be half empty. She travels the same route to work every day, no heavy traffic as she leaves at 0-dark-30 each morning. No staining in our driveway, no coolant smell when you pop the hood, it's just GONE. I replaced the cap on the bottle with a new OEM, made no difference. It never overheats, gauge never gets above normal, the bottle is just low.

Since that is the only "issue" whatsoever with that vehicle, and I mean the ONLY ISSUE, I just keep tabs on it. More so now that I own a Renegade; I have to check my oil weekly due to the "David Copperfield Effect" of oil in these infamous engines, so I incorporated checking her coolant at the same time.

A little advice though. In your Renegade, DO NOT pour in regular off-the-shelf green antifreeze. It's not the same as what's in your cooling system. Sure, the bottle will say "compatible with all types of antifreeze", but DON'T. Mixing types of antifreeze can actually gel in your system, something you don't want. For a little top-off, use distilled water, never regular tap water. Bite the bullet and pay the insanely high price for a gallon jug of the right stuff from the dealer. It'll hurt your butt a tad for a bit, but it's cheaper than replacing the engine or cooling system because you wanted to save a couple bucks on a gallon of coolant.

Others may chime in saying "you don't have to use...", "you can use this instead" "don't pay dealer prices" "you're foolish to believe that 'special coolant' line", etc. or any of the numerous paranoid conspiracy theories people have about using factory/dealer parts, but I don't pay them any attention. I'm way too old to play the "they said use this, but I used that, and I saved XX dollars !! Neener-neener !" game. I use what the factory says thereby you can't go wrong. If something does happen, they have no argument. You used THEIR product, your purchase is in their computer. That alone is worth the couple extra bucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2017 Jeep with the 2.4 in it with about 18,000 miles. I have noticed the antifreeze is ever so slowly going down. I will need to add soon as the plastic fill container is now almost empty. This has been happening sense it was bought. As I said a very slow leak or evaporation. I didn’t pay much attention to it at first because it will vary some with temperature but now I am certain. I looked very closely for any external leaks and can’t find one. Now I fear it is internal. Question I have is, is this normal for the level to change over a long period of time? Other vehicles I have had, I never had to add. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
It should be covered under warranty take it back to the dealer. Have them note it, even if they cant find a leak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
It should be covered under warranty take it back to the dealer. Have them note it, even if they cant find a leak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Slow coolant loss covered under warranty??!! The warranty doesn't cover engine oil feed-and-bleed rates of loss. Do you think a little bit of coolant weeping out somewhere will be covered? I doubt it.
I'm with Mud Pie. Monitor it. Add distilled water. If you add more than about a half-gallon of water start mixing in the correct coolant.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty does that from time to time, always has. Granted, it now has over 260,000 miles on the original engine but it does not burn one drop of oil and has never left her stranded. I went through the "why ?" phase with hers, could never find out why except for one time I didn't have the cap on the bottle fully tight.

There is no rhyme or reason why it drops, it can go 10 months or more at full, the one day it'll be half empty. She travels the same route to work every day, no heavy traffic as she leaves at 0-dark-30 each morning. No staining in our driveway, no coolant smell when you pop the hood, it's just GONE. I replaced the cap on the bottle with a new OEM, made no difference. It never overheats, gauge never gets above normal, the bottle is just low.

Since that is the only "issue" whatsoever with that vehicle, and I mean the ONLY ISSUE, I just keep tabs on it. More so now that I own a Renegade; I have to check my oil weekly due to the "David Copperfield Effect" of oil in these infamous engines, so I incorporated checking her coolant at the same time.

A little advice though. In your Renegade, DO NOT pour in regular off-the-shelf green antifreeze. It's not the same as what's in your cooling system. Sure, the bottle will say "compatible with all types of antifreeze", but DON'T. Mixing types of antifreeze can actually gel in your system, something you don't want. For a little top-off, use distilled water, never regular tap water. Bite the bullet and pay the insanely high price for a gallon jug of the right stuff from the dealer. It'll hurt your butt a tad for a bit, but it's cheaper than replacing the engine or cooling system because you wanted to save a couple bucks on a gallon of coolant.

Others may chime in saying "you don't have to use...", "you can use this instead" "don't pay dealer prices" "you're foolish to believe that 'special coolant' line", etc. or any of the numerous paranoid conspiracy theories people have about using factory/dealer parts, but I don't pay them any attention. I'm way too old to play the "they said use this, but I used that, and I saved XX dollars !! Neener-neener !" game. I use what the factory says thereby you can't go wrong. If something does happen, they have no argument. You used THEIR product, your purchase is in their computer. That alone is worth the couple extra bucks.

@mud pie is absolutely correct!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for the quick reply's.

Just to add a few more things. The oil is perfectly clean or it at least looks like it on the dip stick. I have had no real issues with this Jeep Renegade other than it burned a lot of oil when new. The oil burning issue has slowed to the point where it will just be on the add (dip stick) mark when it is time to change it, which will be about 1 quart in 7500 miles. It's a bit disappointing but acceptable now. Other then that i have been petty happy so far. I like the idea of taking it to the dealer and making sure they note the loss of anti freeze while it is still under warranty. Does anyone know it the factory warranty for the power train is 3 year 36,000 or 5 year 50,000.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the quick reply's.

Just to add a few more things. The oil is perfectly clean or it at least looks like it on the dip stick. I have had no real issues with this Jeep Renegade other than it burned a lot of oil when new. The oil burning issue has slowed to the point where it will just be on the add (dip stick) mark when it is time to change it, which will be about 1 quart in 7500 miles. It's a bit disappointing but acceptable now. Other then that i have been petty happy so far. I like the idea of taking it to the dealer and making sure they note the loss of anti freeze while it is still under warranty. Does anyone know it the factory warranty for the power train is 3 year 36,000 or 5 year 50,000.

Thanks

5 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. Glad it’s not a bad head gasket or cracked engine. I’ve only put on 2.6k but love it wish i could’ve afforded the TH but beggars can’t be choosers lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
The powertrain warranty for 2015 Renegades is 5 years, 100k. 2016 and later years is 5 years, 60k. There is a class action lawsuit that is supposed to bump the 2015 powertrain up to 6 years but leave the mileage at 100k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The powertrain warranty for 2015 Renegades is 5 years, 100k. 2016 and later years is 5 years, 60k. There is a class action lawsuit that is supposed to bump the 2015 powertrain up to 6 years but leave the mileage at 100k.

dgr is right google was not my friend this time around. IMG_4615.JPG

·
Registered
357 Posts
We had lost a little coolant as well, probably through the hoses connecting to the coolant tank. It put our coolant just below the MIN line - so we went to the dealer and were given Mopar coolant 68163848AB. We had noticed it was low because it would make a swashing sound behind the steering wheel when accelerating, and once we topped it off it went away.
We topped it off a little over a year ago and have not had to add any since. Our oil was fine, never overheated, and never had any negative effects that we know of, lol. Thought I would post in case anyone wondered about a part number or swashing sound...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try topping it off and see if it continues to go down. If after 18000 mile and you haven't had to add yet, it is possible the system is still bleeding the air out of itself.

There are two or three air bleeders on the Renegade. That tells me that air is hard to get out of the cooling system. It is possible that you just had a little air in the system and it needs to be topped off. Especially if you don't have any leaks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I first took delivery of my used 2017 Latitude (purchased 1 year ago this week, happy anniversary to me...), I was told everything was checked, it's Certified Pre-Owned, like that is supposed to mean something... I tend to NOT believe that, so I did my own inspection. Air filter clean and new, oil topped off and clean, cabin air filter beyond filthy, coolant level ever-so-slightly below the full line. I replaced my cabin air filter, replaced the air filter with a K&N, and topped off the coolant with distilled water.

The coolant has never dropped since day one. That of which I am thankful.

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
It's a sealed pressure system .
There should be absolutely no leaks.
Should be doesn't mean there isn't. I've got a real slow leak someplace, but I can't find it. I'm losing maybe a cup every 4-6 months. That's worst case about a third of a teaspoon of fluid seeping out someplace each day. Even with UV dye and pulling off the skid plate for a while that's going to be hard to find.

I just top it up, keep an eye on the level, and move on with my life.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
It's nearly always the rubbish hose clips
The actual amount that leaks is small and evaporates off with engine heat.

Check the ends of hoses going in and out of the expansion/header tank for
limescale. And if you find it, replace the hoseclip with a proper good old fasioned Jubilee clip.

Also I've had a compression clip connector break off on a previous engine (Alfa 159 1750 TBi) but stay in place like a loose tooth. It eventually failed. Coolant everywhere.
My mech just whipped off both plastic ends on the hose and the engine pipe and connected
the hose directly to the pipe with...

... a trusty Jubilee clip!

Oh and the expansion tanks had a tendency to spilt on the 159 TBis too. Bad batch or something as other engines didn't have that problem.

The only reason they use these substandard clips is it speed up assembly in the factory.
;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts