Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello renegade forum, I currently own an operate a 1995 jeep yj that has been my faithful go to off roader for the last 16 years. With a 176,000 miles on it I decided to cut it some slack and just ordered a new renegade last week as my new DD. Being a faithful jeep guy I felt guilty driving an automatic off road and letting the transmission have all the fun. So i got a 1.4l 4x4 latitude,manual, Red- with sandstone black interior. It should be here in a few weeks. I haven't seen any videos of that model off road, its always the trail hawk in the videos. Anybody have any experience with that model on the trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post on these forums yay me, my wife and I just purchased a red 1.4 manual 4x4, have had it a few days, haven't gotten the chance to take it off road been dealing with some hiccups with the dealership and the contract but hopefully that'll be ironed out soon amd I'll be able to hit some trails

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only had my 1.4L 6 spd. 4x4 for nine days, and haven't attempted any trails. Just an observation, though, that this model comes with very street-oriented tires (mine are Continentals -- not sure if they're the only supplier). The good news is that they are in fact very smooth & quiet on the road. But the reviews I've read of these tires aren't very complimentary to say the least about their snow performance, and I have a suspicion that they could be the limiting factor for any level of off-road duty as well.

I may look at making a change to A/T tires depending on how things go this winter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've only had my 1.4L 6 spd. 4x4 for nine days, and haven't attempted any trails. Just an observation, though, that this model comes with very street-oriented tires (mine are Continentals -- not sure if they're the only supplier). The good news is that they are in fact very smooth & quiet on the road. But the reviews I've read of these tires aren't very complimentary to say the least about their snow performance, and I have a suspicion that they could be the limiting factor for any level of off-road duty as well.

I may look at making a change to A/T tires depending on how things go this winter.
Yeah I've had my 1.4 for 7 days and I agree the tires would not be great off road. I plan to call around tomorrow to check snow tire prices as I always buy a set of snow tires preferably studded.

The BFG AT Tires would look pretty awesome and work well off road. I'm assuming these would fit well since they are exactly the same size: BFG AT T/A KO2

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah I've had my 1.4 for 7 days and I agree the tires would not be great off road. I plan to call around tomorrow to check snow tire prices as I always buy a set of snow tires preferably studded.

The BFG AT Tires would look pretty awesome and work well off road. I'm assuming these would fit well since they are exactly the same size: BFG AT T/A KO2
If anyone does put these tires on any Renegade, Id like to see what mileage goes to, and how much power is lost. Both this size and the 225/65/17 BFG AT KO2 are 8 ply tires, much heavier than the stock, or even the bigger Yokohama ATS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had mine about two months and had it off the road within a week of purchasing it. Up to now all I've had it on are dirt/non-paved roads and a weekend construction site or two. I can't wait to get it to an actual off-road park which I'll be doing in the next few weeks.

The tires were OK off the pavement but I managed to pop one of them pretty quickly. I decided a dedicated set of off road/winter tires on steel wheels was needed. I went with Cooper Discover AT3's in size 225/70-16. This size is 1.66 inches greater in diameter than the stock tires and made up the .8 difference in ground clearance between us and the Tarilhawks. I can't wait to see how it does.

The only concern I really have at this point is the lack of skid plates. Once its possible to search for an purchase those parts along with a Trailhawk front nose I'll swap them on and feel a lot safer.

Some Pics:

And a Vid:

https://youtu.be/Z0Kg60wdnV4

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dirt roads and wash board should be easy and cause no issues. It becomes an issue if you plan on crawling over medium sized rocks, deep streams, and big craters. First is lack of skid plates, so get to making em or fit the trailhawk ones. Second is lack of ground clearance, our suspension is not much different from trailhawks, we just have road tires. So next is a set of larger tires like MRM331, this will buy you another 1.66" which now gives us same clearance as a hawk. Now we should be able to wheel as good as a trailhawk. which should get us over medium difficulty stuff.

To get more severe than that would require Lift kits, mods to suspension, exhaust, **** just about everything. and for that kind of loot go buy a used off road rig. So if you want a 4x4 for savage wheeling, go buy a used lifted Hilux or Wrangler.

Reactions: BU1tj2

·
Registered
162 Posts
After that video of my Jeep climbing a pile dirt I took it to an actual off road park in the Poconos. While it did awesomely the lack of skid plates really freaked me out every time I saw a rock. Nothing was damaged but I did manage to snag and rip off one of the tin foil fuel tank covers we get in lue of actual skid plates which means I was close to a bad situation happening. I can't wait to get back there with it but will first be bolting a $400 set of TH fuel tank skid plates and possibly a set of rock rails before I do.

On a very cool note I was actually able to fit down a number of "ATV trails" with it that "real Jeeps" are too big to do. Other than full on rock climbing it was able to do everything the non Italian Jeeps could do.

-Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is about as intense as it gets (legally) without me going a ways.

The pictures don't capture it very well. I feel like it was tougher than it looks. It may not have pushed the Renny's limits, but it pushed mine. I'm not much of an off-roader, I just want something that can get me to trailheads for hiking. I think this will do.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble but the antilock brakes controlling wheel slip makes it really difficult to crawl over rocks. All that slow crawling and wheel lifting you see in the videos looks good but since the there is no low range transfer case it is almost impossible to do with the manual trans without burning a clutch or brake pad. Rolling in first gear at idle the car is moving pretty fast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took my 1.4T on some mountain dirt roads recently, and pulled off onto some steep, rutty places as well. As you might expect, the car was superb on dirt roads, even moderately rutted and rocky ones. And as you also might expect, the lack of low gearing and the street tires made for poor traction and difficult controlling on the steep, rutty places. So if a Miata is a 1, a Subaru Impreza is a 5, and a Wrangler or such is a 10 or above, the 1.4T is, hmm, a 7, perhaps, in its native ability to handle rough trails.

What do you think? Do you see it differently?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I took my 1.4T on some mountain dirt roads recently, and pulled off onto some steep, rutty places as well. As you might expect, the car was superb on dirt roads, even moderately rutted and rocky ones. And as you also might expect, the lack of low gearing and the street tires made for poor traction and difficult controlling on the steep, rutty places. So if a Miata is a 1, a Subaru Impreza is a 5, and a Wrangler or such is a 10 or above, the 1.4T is, hmm, a 7, perhaps, in its native ability to handle rough trails.

What do you think? Do you see it differently?
A 1.4L Renegade would be a 4 on your scale.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.