Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Fairly frequently my Rene mists up on all the side windows - just chatting hot air! A quick drop on the driver window an inch quickly resolves. However, I have occasional noticed the dash display a little misted first thing in the morning.

Of course, nowadays there is the occasional (or regular) damp brolley in the car. I've fettled with the blowers (very small flow from the centre vents on the dash - anyone else think this?), I don't usually switch the AC on as I'm told this has an effect on the MPG.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Side windows do mist up quite a bit. Was quite surprised and it had me looking for a leak but none detectable. Air con does clear it quickly but still wonder if ventilation is sufficient. I have the full length glass roof and wonder if it is contributing due to reduced insulation?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Make sure the recirculate function is turned off so fresh air is drawn in from the outside.

Reactions: lamont and wyliec

·
Registered
580 Posts
High humidity will cause ubiquitous mold spores to liberally fornicate and multiply in the comfort of your vehicle. The A/C will keep humidity low. Smells bad and is bad for your health. At low temperatures, I am not sure where Jeep has set the cut-off, but the A/C may not work under a certain ambient temperature. Fogging is due to condensation happening when warm humid air hits a cold surface like glass. With the A/C off, fresh airflow helps. Crack a window. I would air out the car before locking it up after a drive. Basically, get the warm air out.

Also, breathe less. >:D

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ok, thanks all.

So A/C on recirculate on. A/C Off recirculate off.

As per Why Jay (above), I did wonder if I had a leak of some kind.
Recirculate on or you are drawing moist air from outside. Unless you live somewhere so cold that the outside air is dry.

If you have the dual zone just press the max button.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Still experiencing excessive condensation in my Renegade and would like to question some of the advice to see if I can understand and end the problem. All the windows mist up when the car is sitting but I can't detect a leak. Aircon on max clears the front windows quickly but the misting lingers on the rears for quite a while. In my past cars I've always understood that the aircon recirculate function was for heating the car interior quickly from cold but was best turned off once warm as prolonged use resulted in misting. Is it different with climate control? Has anyone else experienced the misting and found a setting that seems to keep it at bay? Also, I note that according to the manual for the car the left hand temperature control knob for the air con controls the driver side temperature. Correctly written for a LHD Renegade but not for RHD. It had me wondering "surely not" for a moment. It would make more sense to say the LH controls the LH and the RH the RH.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Still experiencing excessive condensation in my Renegade and would like to question some of the advice to see if I can understand and end the problem. All the windows mist up when the car is sitting but I can't detect a leak. Aircon on max clears the front windows quickly but the misting lingers on the rears for quite a while. In my past cars I've always understood that the aircon recirculate function was for heating the car interior quickly from cold but was best turned off once warm as prolonged use resulted in misting. Is it different with climate control? Has anyone else experienced the misting and found a setting that seems to keep it at bay? Also, I note that according to the manual for the car the left hand temperature control knob for the air con controls the driver side temperature. Correctly written for a LHD Renegade but not for RHD. It had me wondering "surely not" for a moment. It would make more sense to say the LH controls the LH and the RH the RH.
This is opposite of what some have said; I don't recirculate the interior air, which is laden with warm/moist air from your breathing, which condenses on the cold windows. I had a problem just recently with fogging until I noticed I was recirculating indoor air.

All you have to do is breathe on a mirror inside your house, and you'll notice the fogging. The fogging becomes worse with the temperature difference between your breath and Jeep windows, depending on the temperature outside, of course.

Before I became semi-retired I worked in the field of A/C. Of course that doesn't make me right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is opposite of what some have said; I don't recirculate the interior air, which is laden with warm/moist air from your breathing, which condenses on the cold windows. I had a problem just recently with fogging until I noticed I was recirculating indoor air.

All you have to do is breathe on a mirror inside your house, and you'll notice the fogging. The fogging becomes worse with the temperature difference between your breath and Jeep windows, depending on the temperature outside, of course.

Before I became semi-retired I worked in the field of A/C. Of course that doesn't make me right.
This is in line with own thoughts and understanding. I've always turned off recirculate once my previous cars were up to temperature inside or they would mist up but they never were as bad as this Renegade is at the outset. If the windscreen didn't clear as quick as it does I would question is the air-con working at all. I'm frustrated by it. Its like an old damp car in the mornings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.