Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a reversing camera on.
I know from youtube there is a bunch if wires going to backlight.
How do I find the reversing one to power the camera.
Equipment I have:

Cheap Multimeter
12v screwdriver thingy with light and small crocodile clip.
Wire splice clips
Fuse piggyback wire thingy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Remove the reverse light access panel in the nearside wheelarch using a screwdriver thingy.
Observe the reverse light wires - I think return is black, but you can test with a testlight thingy - don't use a multimeter and don't disconnect the bulby thing as the bulb failure circuity thing might think the bulby thing has blown and not give the result you expect (I can explain further if you need).
Remove the panely thing in the nearside of the boot, and you should see some wirey stuff there. You may need to cut into the harrness tapey stuff to identify the wirey stuff colours with a sharp knifey thingy so be careful.
Tap into the wire with a wirey tappy sort of thing and you should be good to go.

hth

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the reverse light access panel in the nearside wheelarch using a screwdriver thingy.
Observe the reverse light wires - I think return is black, but you can test with a testlight thingy - don't use a multimeter and don't disconnect the bulby thing as the bulb failure circuity thing might think the bulby thing has blown and not give the result you expect (I can explain further if you need).
Remove the panely thing in the nearside of the boot, and you should see some wirey stuff there. You may need to cut into the harrness tapey stuff to identify the wirey stuff colours with a sharp knifey thingy so be careful.
Tap into the wire with a wirey tappy sort of thing and you should be good to go.

hth
Ever thought of a life in teaching. :laugh:

Thanks

Took me 3 hours to put on the mud guards so that's the level you're dealing with here.

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the green/blueish wire for live but as the reverse light is outside I still have to either:

1. get a tap on it (easy bit) and then get that tap wire 'inside' the jeep through a grommet or something. OR

2. Do as Ted suggests and tap the wire 'inside' the body before it goes out through the grommet. But after removing all the paneling from the boot I see that getting 2 hands working on the bit of exposed loom/wires is very very hard.

3. Drill a hole in metal and put my own grommet in.

Having stared at problem for hours on Sunday I think I'm going to give the 'wire through grommet' a try first with some lube and piece of brake cable or long zip tie.

If that's a bust then I drill baby drill.

Joins us next week for more adventures of 'The Wire'.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Might we worth giving this a try if there is enough room/slack.
Pull the wire you are going to tap into as far as to take up any slack in the cable.
Tape your new wire as far up this cable as you can
Unplug the reverse light wire (this will give you more cable to pull through.)
now pull on the harness from inside the car to pull the slack and (hopefully) your taped wire.
Pull your new wire 'through' the tape to give you plenty of spare
Now pull on the other end of your new wire (near the reverse light) to return the harness to its original position.

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me when I reread it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might we worth giving this a try if there is enough room/slack.
Pull the wire you are going to tap into as far as to take up any slack in the cable.
Tape your new wire as far up this cable as you can
Unplug the reverse light wire (this will give you more cable to pull through.)
now pull on the harness from inside the car to pull the slack and (hopefully) your taped wire.
Pull your new wire 'through' the tape to give you plenty of spare
Now pull on the other end of your new wire (near the reverse light) to return the harness to its original position.

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me when I reread it.
Yea makes sense. I'll look but but gotta admit, the way things are put together are pretty good and finished off unless you're trying to get 'at' something of course.

Reactions: Ted
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.