Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some feedback from any that is driving the 1.4L renegade. The smaller motor is finally starting to pop up around my area (Southeast MI) and I'm pretty excited to finally get to test drive one (I've test drove the 2.4L previously).

Also, first time poster here. Hello everybody!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a good question. I'd love to hear people's opinions about the 6 speed manual. I have a Fiat 500L which has the same engine and transmission. And as you may know it's built upon the same platform. I parked my car side by side to a Renegade and it's the exact same length. My car does just fine with its turbocharged engine. It does not zoom up big mountains, but instead gets good MPG'S.

Ok folks, whoever has driven one or purchased one please post your opinions/reviews.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd love to try the 1.6....All the press over the tranny woes has me regretting ordering a TH. And on top of that, why doesn't FCA humor it's ordering public with weekly emails....Lie to us, it's OK...Just tell us enough to stay interested....I read a lot of positives here...but a lot to give me reason to pause. Been in "trim" for a week. I thought Henry Ford invented an assembly line.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd love to hear about he 1.4L & manual transmission. I originally wanted a Lattitude with the manual (I usually get manual transmission cars). But when I saw a loaded Trailhawk (sans unwanted leather), I grabbed it. So far, the Trailhawk has been flawless.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The problem with the 6 speed manual is that you can only get it on the base level 1.4 engine. It's a mystery to me why they don't offer the 6 speed manual transmission on the larger 2.4 engine. To me options should be just that, optional for the customer to select. But with Jeep it's just not optional. I bet they would sell truck loads more 6 speed manuals if they made it optional. Go figure!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here's an update. I test drove the manual version and I didn't like it. It felt like the shift from first to second was too frantic. Not sure if it is normal but I was hitting 4000 rpm at about 10-15 mph. I would barely be through an intersection and I was already shifting into second.

I didn't see anything on the cluster to indicate what gear I was in. Not sure if that is normal in newer vehicles.

Anyone here with more experience with newer manual transmissions care to chime in?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
"Anyone here with more experience with newer manual transmissions care to chime in?"

I test drove a Fiat 500L with the 1.4T & six speed manual before purchasing my Trailhawk. I thought it shifted beautifully. But I also thought that the power was lacking in that car. I would expect it to be the same or similar in the Renegade dependent on what the final drive ratio is.

Neither of my manually shifted Challengers has a gear indicator in the cluster nor is it needed. You tell by the "feel" of the shift lever what gear you're in.

And first gear in my 2015 Challenger goes by in a heartbeat and you are shifting to second. If first gear was tall, or if it was only a 4 speed manual, then you would be in first much longer, but acceleration would suffer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the 1.4L petrol manual 6 speed in the UK and it drives just fine.
First gear is purely for getting the car moving, I normally shift into second almost immediately.
I drive mostly in sixth except when on winding roads/bends or at speeds less than about 40mph.
I suppose it depends what you're used to but if you allow yourself time to adapt to it then there should be no problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So here's an update. I test drove the manual version and I didn't like it. It felt like the shift from first to second was too frantic. Not sure if it is normal but I was hitting 4000 rpm at about 10-15 mph. I would barely be through an intersection and I was already shifting into second.

I didn't see anything on the cluster to indicate what gear I was in. Not sure if that is normal in newer vehicles.

Anyone here with more experience with newer manual transmissions care to chime in?
That's how I feel about 3rd gen MINIs, the first gear is kind of a stump puller. That doesn't sound so bad for a Jeep though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, the first gear on any manual SUV or Truck is always going to be a stump puller. That is the way it is set up. You get used to it after a while. I had a BMW X5 manual a few years back and it was the same way. It gets you going faster that way since the power band of the engine is higher up, especially in the 1.4L Turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the good information. I'm thinking I may wait a bit and see if there is any wind of the manual transmission with the 2.4L. I'm not going to hold my breath but there is always hope :)

·
Registered
125 Posts

The "quick" first gear is due to the low final drive ratio gearing (4.43:1)

If you don't know much about final drive ratios generally when a vehicle is geared higher (lower numerically) it increases top speed and fuel economy given an identical tire size and transmission gearing. Gearing the vehicle lower (higher numerically) gives better acceleration due to torque multiplication but you rev higher at the same vehicle speed.

When I look at a Jeep or truck for myself I usually look for lower geared vehicles because I like my power vs economy teeter-totter to lean more towards the power side.

The short first gear helps to launch and is especially useful in offroad conditions. Since the Renegade doesn't have a two-speed 4x4 system (no "true" 4Low) the crawl ratio is determined by the ratio of the first gear times the final drive ratio. The 20:1 crawl ratio advertised on the Trailhawk is pretty decent for a light-duty offroad CUV. What you don't see discussed much is the 1.4L has a crawl ratio of 18.4:1 (4.15 x 4.43), which isn't too shabby, and that's all thanks to that quick first gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "quick" first gear is due to the low final drive ratio gearing (4.43:1)

If you don't know much about final drive ratios generally when a vehicle is geared higher (lower numerically) it increases top speed and fuel economy given an identical tire size and transmission gearing. Gearing the vehicle lower (higher numerically) gives better acceleration due to torque multiplication but you rev higher at the same vehicle speed.

When I look at a Jeep or truck for myself I usually look for lower geared vehicles because I like my power vs economy teeter-totter to lean more towards the power side.

The short first gear helps to launch and is especially useful in offroad conditions. Since the Renegade doesn't have a two-speed 4x4 system (no "true" 4Low) the crawl ratio is determined by the ratio of the first gear times the final drive ratio. The 20:1 crawl ratio advertised on the Trailhawk is pretty decent for a light-duty offroad CUV. What you don't see discussed much is the 1.4L has a crawl ratio of 18.4:1 (4.15 x 4.43), which isn't too shabby, and that's all thanks to that quick first gear.
Thanks that explains a lot. Is there any reason to start out in second gear when just cruising in traffic to reduce the amount of shifting or will that damage the transmission?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks that explains a lot. Is there any reason to start out in second gear when just cruising in traffic to reduce the amount of shifting or will that damage the transmission?
As long as you avoid smoking the clutch (slipping it for a long time with high RPM, say >2500) in second gear then you shouldn't damage anything. It's whatever feels comfortable to you as the driver; that's the freedom of a manual!

:ReneBlueWave:

If you do overheat the clutch then you'll smell it for sure (ver distinctive smell) and know what NOT to do next time haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
With my X5 I would typically keep it in second gear during stop and go traffic. However, when coming to a complete stop at a traffic light, I would go back into first when ready to take off again.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
With my X5 I would typically keep it in second gear during stop and go traffic. However, when coming to a complete stop at a traffic light, I would go back into first when ready to take off again.
I'm the same way. 2nd gear is amazing, lets you go from lower than posted city speeds to up to posted highway speeds, great for those random breaks in traffic before it slow down again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Exactly. To add to that, when traffic gets Los Angeles-class backed up I would typically put the Renegade in 1st with the clutch pedal all the way out and creep along at about 5mph... Let everyone else do the "stop and go" thing while I kicked back and relaxed with plenty of room between the guy in front of me and my Jeep

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't think of any modern car that goes much over 20 mph in first. My Scion xB is at 4500 rpm at 20 mph in 1st, my jeeps would never see that fast in first and my f250 may do half that in first
The tiny motor is rev happy and has no problems with high rpm on a regular basis.
The only vehicle I remember having that did above 20 in first was my c4 vette, and it was a 4 speed.

I am only interested in the renegade with the 1.4/ 6 speed combo. Waiting to see one on a lot to drive it before committing though. I highly doubt it could be more sluggish than my xb, but if you aren't adraid of the throttle and high rpm shifts, the xb will move rather decent.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.