Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was supposed to be a subcompact affordable yet capable SUV. I love the Renegade, but the only affordable (IMO) are the FWD models. I have no issue laying down $25k for a Trailhawk, but dealers in my area are not even close to that. Matter of fact I can't even get a 4WD Latitude at $25k. How is it that I can get a Cherokee 4WD Latitude with decent features for $24-25k, but can't even sniff the smaller Renegade Trailhawk at that price point? Anyone out there able to work any deals to get the TH price tag down out of the sky? I am considering a purchase in mid-May but not at current pricing. I'd rather have the bigger Cherokee at the $25k price, but I really like the Renegade TH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick answer--wait a year. New models always seem to sell at premium prices and Jeeps are no exception. After the novelty wears off, the actual selling prices almost always soften. Given Jeep's generally poor reliability record over the last few years, I would also wait until the big question mark about the Renegade's reliability is answered.

I see no real point in purchasing any Renegade except the Trailhawk. For all of the other AWD or FWD versions, there are other makes and models of AWD vehicles that get better fuel economy, perform as well or better, and have better reliability records.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quick answer--wait a year. New models always seem to sell at premium prices and Jeeps are no exception. After the novelty wears off, the actual selling prices almost always soften. Given Jeep's generally poor reliability record over the last few years, I would also wait until the big question mark about the Renegade's reliability is answered.

I see no real point in purchasing any Renegade except the Trailhawk. For all of the other AWD or FWD versions, there are other makes and models of AWD vehicles that get better fuel economy, perform as well or better, and have better reliability records.
Amen to that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, I most definitely agree with you, but unfortunately I have a lease running out on my wife's vehicle in May. I currently drive a Patriot which is fully paid for, but has well over 100k miles. So I'm thinking of trading it toward the purchase of my wife's lease, or trading for a Renegade (depends on payments). So why I would normally take your advice and wait, I'm kind of in a pinch. I don't think they are grossly overpriced, but they are definitely $2-$3k more than a vehicle of this size should be. IMO it makes no sense getting anything other than the Trailhawk. When you add 4WD to the Latitude, Sport, and Limited you arrive at (or close to) the base price for the Trailhawk.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ultimately, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Given the hype at the moment, the market's frustration for the low availability of trailhawks, and the short model year cycle, I don't think you'll see the price drop much until the end of the 2016 cycle (summer 2016).

They wouldn't undercut those of us who bought a vehicle by dropping the price by 10% in 3 months. That leads to worse publicity and survey reviews, which will impact major rating outlets slamming the 2016 model.

The reality is that there is room for them to sell these at a discount that can be found by way of haggling. I got mine for a little over $1300 below MSRP without pressing too hard. Most people can do the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I wasn't such a Jeep fan. I can get a Chevy Trax with leather, touchscreen entertainment, nav, heated seats, backup cam, and bluetooth. For $24938 and that's asking price!!! I can't even sniff a base TH at that price point, but IMO that is exactly where it should be, if not lower. Same deal with other vehicles in this class... I can get a fully loaded Nissan Juke, Kia Soul, Chevy Trax... etc. all under the base TH MSRP. I can't bring myself to drive any of those vehicles though. The only one priced beyond the Renegade is the Buick Encore.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wish I wasn't such a Jeep fan. I can get a Chevy Trax with leather, touchscreen entertainment, nav, heated seats, backup cam, and bluetooth. For $24938 and that's asking price!!! I can't even sniff a base TH at that price point, but IMO that is exactly where it should be, if not lower. Same deal with other vehicles in this class... I can get a fully loaded Nissan Juke, Kia Soul, Chevy Trax... etc. all under the base TH MSRP. I can't bring myself to drive any of those vehicles though. The only one priced beyond the Renegade is the Buick Encore.
I understand your sentiment, but the reality isn't quite reflected by that statement. Check out a fully loaded soul and the top trim juke without options below...

Everything for Kia is ala carte... and Nissan doesn't tout the Juke as an offroad vehicle, but instead as a sports car trapped in an SUV body. If you look what each does well in their respective ends of the segment, you'll see that the Trailhawk is priced pretty well.

It is annoying that the late entry to this model year means that you'll probably not see the configuration you want available in a 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your sentiment, but the reality isn't quite reflected by that statement. Check out a fully loaded soul and the top trim juke without options below...

Everything for Kia is ala carte... and Nissan doesn't tout the Juke as an offroad vehicle, but instead as a sports car trapped in an SUV body. If you look what each does well in their respective ends of the segment, you'll see that the Trailhawk is priced pretty well.

It is annoying that the late entry to this model year means that you'll probably not see the configuration you want available in a 2015.
Yeah no doubt the Juke is likely to be the premier vehicle in Fast and Furious 20!!! LOL... and the Kia, that thing just screams ugly! The one thing I do wonder...? Did Fiat get their headlamp design on the Cherokee from Kia??? They've got that similar ugly "slanted cat eye" shape. I am not saying Renegade is extremely overpriced, but the base TH invoice at $27,140, IMO should be at about $25,500. With a base MSRP around $24,000. So I guess safe to say that I believe the Renegade pricing is about $2k over inflated. I think once the hype goes away Renegade will shed that $2k. I do intend to haggle away though. I'm prepared to drive several hours away to get the deal that I want.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah no doubt the Juke is likely to be the premier vehicle in Fast and Furious 20!!! LOL... and the Kia, that thing just screams ugly! The one thing I do wonder...? Did Fiat get their headlamp design on the Cherokee from Kia??? They've got that similar ugly "slanted cat eye" shape. I am not saying Renegade is extremely overpriced, but the base TH invoice at $27,140, IMO should be at about $25,500. With a base MSRP around $24,000. So I guess safe to say that I believe the Renegade pricing is about $2k over inflated. I think once the hype goes away Renegade will shed that $2k. I do intend to haggle away though. I'm prepared to drive several hours away to get the deal that I want.
You'll find your $2k if you're willing to wait on a '15 once the '16's are out, but car manufacturers just don't change MSRP much year-to-year unless it's a redesigned model.

What I could see happening is the Renegade dropping about $1,000 when the new C-segment SUV comes out. There is a buzz that suggests that it will be a longer Renegade (like a Renegade Unlimited), with that vehicle being priced about $1,000 above what we see now. Then they wouldn't overlap so much in their lineup.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ultimately, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Given the hype at the moment, the market's frustration for the low availability of trailhawks, and the short model year cycle, I don't think you'll see the price drop much until the end of the 2016 cycle (summer 2016).

This is a very true statement, even someone with motivations as simple as: loving Jeeps, needing something compact and nimble, will already see the Renegade as a great option. I know I would, and would have a hard time looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You'll find your $2k if you're willing to wait on a '15 once the '16's are out, but car manufacturers just don't change MSRP much year-to-year unless it's a redesigned model.

What I could see happening is the Renegade dropping about $1,000 when the new C-segment SUV comes out. There is a buzz that suggests that it will be a longer Renegade (like a Renegade Unlimited), with that vehicle being priced about $1,000 above what we see now. Then they wouldn't overlap so much in their lineup.
There is always the possibilities of cash back incentives.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I'm probably in the minority here, but I grabbed my Trailhawk for $26.3K out the door, taxes, fees, and all (plus being suckered into the Paint/Fabric/Vinyl coverage). My sticker was $27.6K (options: hood vinyl, remote start, keyless entry).

Granted, I traded in a car too, so I'm sure the dealer will be making some money from my trade after they fix it, but they were within $500 of what I was asking for it. It also helped that it was the last weekend in March...

I wanted a deal and I never planned on paying sticker, I wanted it below factory invoice. Also, I had read somewhere before that dealers have a 3% cushion below factory too, so I kind of kept that in mind. Dealership gave me a deal I couldn't pass up despite wanting a hitch and MySky. I don't think I want MySky now, but I will definitely pursue a hitch once word is out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can get Friend Pricing through my g/f's brother. I'll be happy enough with that.

Trailhawk is in a league of its own if you want to go off-road at all.

I test drove the Limited over the weekend and it was everything that I hoped for.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I can get Friend Pricing through my g/f's brother. I'll be happy enough with that.

Trailhawk is in a league of its own if you want to go off-road at all.

I test drove the Limited over the weekend and it was everything that I hoped for.
That's a valuable thing to know about it as its MSRP can turn off a lot of people but seeing the differences and the value it provides goes a long way in further justifying getting it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My TH with no options -- including no hood decal -- had a MSRP of $26,990. I think you're lucky to be able to find one equipped the way you want it, and with a color you like. I had to drive 3 hours to find a dealer with such a vehicle on their lot. Considering how much better it is than either of the two Patriots I owned before, I feel like it's a good deal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some dealers will do dealer trades to get the build you want. I'm starting to see TH's with the builds I want on dealer lots.

My closest dealer wants $1000 down to custom build. They quoted me 8 weeks on the wait.

My TH with no options -- including no hood decal -- had a MSRP of $26,990. I think you're lucky to be able to find one equipped the way you want it, and with a color you like. I had to drive 3 hours to find a dealer with such a vehicle on their lot. Considering how much better it is than either of the two Patriots I owned before, I feel like it's a good deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So I'm probably in the minority here, but I grabbed my Trailhawk for $26.3K out the door, taxes, fees, and all (plus being suckered into the Paint/Fabric/Vinyl coverage). My sticker was $27.6K (options: hood vinyl, remote start, keyless entry).

Granted, I traded in a car too, so I'm sure the dealer will be making some money from my trade after they fix it, but they were within $500 of what I was asking for it. It also helped that it was the last weekend in March...

I wanted a deal and I never planned on paying sticker, I wanted it below factory invoice. Also, I had read somewhere before that dealers have a 3% cushion below factory too, so I kind of kept that in mind. Dealership gave me a deal I couldn't pass up despite wanting a hitch and MySky. I don't think I want MySky now, but I will definitely pursue a hitch once word is out.
Yeah good job... that is what out the door price should be for all Trailhawks. Dealers have a lot of "fluff" in those $27,140 + sticker prices!! I did get a local dealer (western PA) to say that $26,500 out the door price is "doable". Which puts the vehicle price right around $25,000. Truthfully I think there is still $1000 or so left to give at that price.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My hunch is dealers "true" cost, dealer invoice price minus manufacture to dealer incentives and hidden kick backs... Trailhawks could be anywhere from $23,000 to $24,300 (base, standard options). I have seen the MSRP $25,995 slashed by $1000-$2000 dollars through incentives or employee/other purchase programs. So if they are in fact selling TH at $24,995 plus taxes that would put you around $26,500 out the door. I was told that price was "doable" without any "back and forth" which leads me to believe there is still plenty of profit in that $24,995 price for the dealer. So keep this in mind when you negotiate. If the dealer treats you like your crazy... leave. This is exactly what I intend to do. I will get my Anvil Rene TH, but I refuse to over pay $3000-$5000 over actual cost. I can see $1500 to $2000 profit for the dealer, but that's it. I'll pay for my salespersons work and the paperwork filing, but I'm not paying daily wages for every employee at the dealership.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.