Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have them - and they are a darned sight better than the lights on my old Audi Q3 - Still not sure about the high-beam assist yet... it can be slow to react, but good visibility otherwise

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the extra visibility pack option. The HID headlights are great but make the daylight running lights look totally naff - so going to upgrade those. The main bean assist is really good feature - I use a lot when on B roads etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The bi xenon lights are part of the visibility pack. Yes they do make the DRLs look stupid. I have the LEDS to replace them but so far I do not have the confidence to fit them. I removed the wheel arch panel but i cannot see inside so i dont know what to pull out the instruction videos on youtube are hopeless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks Ted your explanation makes it sound easy enough, i will have another attempt the weekend and let you know.

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
114 Posts
Phild, just put your hands in there and you will easily feel them. Bottom one is fog, outside ones are indicators, inner ones side/drl - it is obvious when you do it. Did mine today in ten minutes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B966Wv88kFdhMEV0aXRDOG1Cbkk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B966Wv88kFdhSmpKMXkxWjBOSkU

Ted, as you've already done this and presumably no probs, could you give me the spec for the bulbs please DRLs and indicator bulb replacement please.

Cheers

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, I've not done the indicator bulbs yet - but I will - I just like to make small changes at a time in case I need to revert.
Next one on the list is the No382 rear light/brake light. I've ordered two just in case they don't work as they ain't cheap.

These are the ones I got, and the supplier. Whilst it says 30w,(power) looking at the specs it is actually a lot less so my only concern was that it might trigger the bulb failure but so far so good (since yesterday)
Much, much brighter than the standards, and with an excellent viewing angle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-30w-38...714961?hash=item25c14b1bd1:g:s0kAAOSwoydWs6gP

If the above doesn't work, search ebay for 380 led bulb and the supplier is ruudg10 - fast delivery, too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well the led replacement for the stop/tail didn't go too well.
Bulbs went in a treat, but they are way too bright.
Going to leave them in for a bit but unless I can think of a neat way to lose some of the light, I may put the incandescent bulbs back in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
To update this.
I tried replacing the front indicators with the same type as the DRL/sidelights and rear lights.
Super bright, and instant on/off and the correct flash rate, but the warning light bulb flashed at twice the rate, the bulb failure light came on as soon as the ignition was turned on, and a large warning every time the ignition was turned on 'Front left side indicator out' (or something like that.
I could live with the fast warning light but not the other warnings so LED indicators are abandoned for now.

I tried the amber ones in the rear lights, thinking that the red lens in the light might tone down the brightness, but no joy, they were just as bright and too yellow (but still quite red).
So the way forward is to get a couple more of the red 382s in the rear (four in total), and put some white or translucent rtv compound on the 'front' part of the bulb that shines directly out.
Hopefully this should stop any dazzle but keep the extra brightness and fast response of the leds

·
Registered
157 Posts
Phild, just put your hands in there and you will easily feel them. Bottom one is fog, outside ones are indicators, inner ones side/drl - it is obvious when you do it. Did mine today in ten minutes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B966Wv88kFdhMEV0aXRDOG1Cbkk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B966Wv88kFdhSmpKMXkxWjBOSkU
Success!! Dead easy to install the DRL LEDs after all. What originally put me off was the tutorial on the DRL thread where it showed you unclipping the wires from the bulb. But all it was is unscrew the DRL bulb and base anti clockwise and the wires are long enough for you to pull it through the access panel. Simply unscrew and replace with the LED bulb, simple.

For all those who havnt changed those sickly DRLs for the LEDS then its a must they make a huge difference. I purchased mine from Motoring Max in the USA on EBAY - (2) 6500K White LED Daytime Running Light Bulbs For 2015-up Jeep Renegade IJDMTOY - Took less than 10 days to arrive here in the UK.

Thanks again Ted. :)

Reactions: toprock and Ted

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well the joy of inserting these new LED lights has turned somewhat confusing. This evening after switching off the lights the LEDS dimmed somewhat but after one hour they have still not fully gone off. They are only faint but I think this may drain the battery. Ive tried every way to try and get them to go off but to no avail. Looks like the sickly bulbs will have to be put back in

·
Registered
157 Posts
Weird, but after 90 mins they have now fully switched off. Strange LEDs indeed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have heard of then glowing slightly but hadn't seen it on mine until last night when I had a good look in the dark, and yes, there they were, glowing slightly.
My take is that this is a tiny current that would be flowing through the normal bulb, but would not be enought to light it. The led being more efficient glows with that current.
It eventually goes off when the canbus goes to sleep (or possibly the battery protection module turns it off.
The rear led bulbs do the same but a little brighter.
It doesn't worry me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.