2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L FWD
110 Posts
Like this kind of thing?

Since space is at a premium, I don't want to lose trunk space with a "box" - so I'm thinking something like above or, a powered sub box that can squeeze under the passenger seat?

Anyone have experience with either?
Looks interesting USAFLE, I am willing to look into this with you as I also do not have a factory Sub, ofcourse, we will have to flip our spare tire over and then buy a new screw to secure it like this guy:

Actually, just seen the product, the screw should fit fine once we flip our tire over.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are quite a few out on the market - all varying sizes and power supplied amplifier and passive (supply your own amp). I am currently waiting for my new tape measure to come in because my wife used mine, scoffed at me when I told her to put it back every time she needed it, and has since lost my only tape measure. GRRRR.

I need to measure the depth and width of the spare tire well to see what speaker fits into there once it's flipped over. Unless you get a chance to do it before me? lol

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any knowledge / experience with that company? I've never heard of them. I'm sure the Cerwin-Vega I linked previously is so much more money because of the "name brand" and also the Rock one is only a 8" sub where the Cerwin is 12" sub.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you have any knowledge / experience with that company? I've never heard of them. I'm sure the Cerwin-Vega I linked previously is so much more money because of the "name brand" and also the Rock one is only a 8" sub where the Cerwin is 12" sub.
Yes you are right, and rating for cerwin are better, but more people can afford the rockghost and there are more reviews on it that are good.

Have checked out the reviews on YouTube and they all say it has a good kick.

Same type of sub, same process to install. Cerwin is bigger though.

Also checking the watts, I think the rock has more watts.

Already ordered, going to use the high level input and tap into rear speaker + and -, I think you have the aftermarket radio so all you need to do is pull out the head unit and use RCA low level. Make sure to hook up the remote activation wire (blue) if you are going to use RCA though.

Should receive the sub by Tuesday and will install on Friday morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Usafle once again for the idea.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you ever measure the enclosure in the spare tire wheel well? ahem cough cough Someone was supposed to send the measurements out...

Well, I am for sure looking forward to the unbiased EAM review when it comes in. Make sure you take plenty of pictures!!

I haven't ordered anything yet .... still waiting on those measurements..... ahem cough cough lol!!!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you ever measure the enclosure in the spare tire wheel well? ahem cough cough Someone was supposed to send the measurements out...

Well, I am for sure looking forward to the unbiased EAM review when it comes in. Make sure you take plenty of pictures!!

I haven't ordered anything yet .... still waiting on those measurements..... ahem cough cough lol!!!!!!
Will get them to you tomorrow promise!

What helps is the description for the rock sub says "fits 16, 17, 18 inch size spare tires" and mine are 17.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got the measurements at last!

Pics below without and with the tire sub. Rockville Rockghost.

So with the tire upside down - 17 inch rims.

The is a raised area in the middle where your rim bolts to your hub.

So:
Diameter across the tire is: 16.25 Inches
Height/Depth from the center of the tire (the raised part to the top, flush with tire): 6 inches
Height/Depth from the section inside the tire which dips down a bit: 7.5 inches

Tire:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Diameter:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Hubcap

Height/Depth from the raised area in the middle:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Product Tread

Height/Depth from areas around that dip down a bit:
Automotive tire White Light Plant Alloy wheel

Rockville Rockghost Tire Sub:
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Installed this morning, took me a good 2 hours!

- Passed 10 gauge power wire with inline fuse through firewall via grommet to the left of the brake pedal into the engine and hooked up to positive battery post. Ran wire along inside of cabin all the way to rear spare tire area.

- removed rear door trims to get to rear speaker negative and positive wires, had to hook it up high level (I don't have RCA outputs on the factory head unit) - Remove the plastic behind the door handle and rubber in the door rest then remove hex screws, there's 4 altogether.

- The wire with the black thin line on it is the Negative, the wire with full colour is the positive, tapped into both on each side, 2xRight Rear and 2XLeft Rear, used T Tap.

- Ran the wires to the spare tire area.

- Hooked up the Ground cable, had to open the rear fuse box area and just sanded down the bolt that holds the rear fuse box in place, put the ground there then put the bolt back on (did not connect to the sub yet, don't want to power it yet!)

- now the soldering, soldered all the connections to the connection harness of the sub, 1XPower, 1XNeg Right Rear 1XPos Right Rear, 1XNeg Left Rear, 1XPos Left Rear, 1XGround. (You do not need to use the Remote On wire (Blue) if you are using High-level input, the sub will auto on with input from the speaker wires. Heat gunned adhesive wall shrink wrap on the solders.

-Plugged the harness into the sub. Plugged the remote control with Gain, Bass Boost, Low Pass Frequency into the Sub and ran to the dash.

All working very well. The bass is very heavy if you want it to be, then turn down the bass and gain and it gets softer but it packs a punch for a 8" subwofer in MY SPARE TYRE.

Recommend? Yes! Our Renegades do not have the biggest of cabins inside and I have my rear seats folded down most of the time so I can get stuff in my car, bass comes through very well.

Vibrates my rear window and the window wiper as well, lol.

Thank you to USAFLE for the idea! I now have some really good bass to pair with my Kenwoods in the front doors and Kickers in the rear, Kicker tweeters as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts