Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Maybe I'm a bit backward, but what does Car Play do?

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True your currently iPhone will work with the current uConnect but Car Play will just integrate a little nicer. Siri will work natively. Native Apple Maps support, etc. etc. And theoretically, Car Play gets regularly updates.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for that. But, the car already connects to the phone to make calls without CarPlay. I think I have used the car's audio system two or three times since I got the car and it worked fine each time.
As @tsizzle pointed out, there's a lot more going on than just making calls if you look through the link I had provided it shows more of what it can do...

I for one hope it trickles down and is available wit ha UConnect update at some point. I am not paying for the extra GPS functionality as I already use my phone for that, so to have it broadcast over to the UConnect would be ideal, along with all the other added features that come with carplay.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Thanks for that. But, the car already connects to the phone to make calls without CarPlay. I think I have used the car's audio system two or three times since I got the car and it worked fine each time.

There's really two things that carplay does that may or may not be of interest to people.

1) By creating a standard in control of apple (and google for their equivalent, android auto), you no longer have someone like harmon trying to work with app developers to create individual app interfaces to the head unit. You have apple maintianing the standard interface and working with harmon. That means that integrated apps are something that happens between apple and the app developers, which is an already existing relationship, and HOPEFULLY, will look more like apple watch development than what it has been. This would mean that the barrier to more apps being designed to operate in car, on your dash would be much, much lower than before.

2) For the version of carplay with display mirroring, it now means you wouldn't have to manipulate your phone at all to make use of the apps, but interact entirely on screen in your head unit. In theory. The practical difference may simply be a more true to app interface in the screen mirroring mode than in the version of car play without the screen mirroring mode.

There's definitely going to be a broad line between people who really don't care and people who think it is the best thing ever. Probably the only gray area will be full screen navigation apps on the head unit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
raz-0, thanks for that. I think. I'm not sure I need to control anything in the car with the phone. I only used the cars' audio system to make a phone call two or three times since I got the car. I can't imagine trying to play with apps when I'm driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
raz-0, thanks for that. I think. I'm not sure I need to control anything in the car with the phone. I only used the cars' audio system to make a phone call two or three times since I got the car. I can't imagine trying to play with apps when I'm driving.
It's not controlling the car with your phone, it's controlling more of your phone with your car.

So for example, instead of the makers of yelp and harmon trying to get their act together and failing with the 6.5" head unit, yelp just has to sort stuff out with apple, which they have some practice at, and apple sets up a bunch of standards to interfacing with car play, which they have some decent experience at, then apple (and google) behind closed doors can look at harmon, say "really? REALLY?" then tell them to get away form the keyboard and let them just code it for you so it works.

So then yelp might not just work on day one when you get a car with car play, it might even get.... updates.

All of the above you may not care about. Myself, I can't fathom why I would want yelp on my dashboard. For navigation, my phone is pretty serviceable. given that a larger phone is basically the same size screen as my head unit, it's not something I would care much about. Some people will be like... SPOTIFY?!?!?!? SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! and I would stare at them and shake my head, but whatever floats your boat.

If you already own your renegade, it's a moot point, given that they are doing a full revision number on the head unit OS to support it, it will very likely not ever be something offered to us via software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also means not having to pay TomTom for their atrocious maps updates which I can never get to work.
Instead Apple Maps (also supplied by TomTom) will work immediately with Live Services and regular updates at no extra charge

·
Registered
30 Posts
1) By creating a standard in control of apple (and google for their equivalent, android auto), you no longer have someone like harmon trying to work with app developers to create individual app interfaces to the head unit. You have apple maintianing the standard interface and working with harmon. That means that integrated apps are something that happens between apple and the app developers, which is an already existing relationship, and HOPEFULLY, will look more like apple watch development than what it has been. This would mean that the barrier to more apps being designed to operate in car, on your dash would be much, much lower than before.
Yes, that!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sometimes, a simple printed MapQuest journey will still work. Facilitated even better with your "navigator" in the front passenger seat calling out the roads and turns. I know, "old school"...but it works!
Sure, it works as long as you follow the directions to the letter and don't have to make an unexpected detour or miss a turn. End up in a one-way system with no idea how to get back where you needed to be and you're screwed. Give me satnav any day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also means not having to pay TomTom for their atrocious maps updates which I can never get to work.
Instead Apple Maps (also supplied by TomTom) will work immediately with Live Services and regular updates at no extra charge

Interesting point. I've not thought about this before. How do we go about getting map updates? Are they really that expensive?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.