Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Jeep signed on with Apple CarPlay early this year - does anyone know if it will be available on the Renegade?
The first ones? I doubt it, but anything is possible. Both apple carplay and android auto are basically applications for in dash systems that allow them to pair with their respective phones. The in dash systems still run whatever OS they want. So in theory it could arrive later and be in a flash update to the in dash infotainment system.

Jeep has signed with both apple carplay and android auto.

As long as it is able to be downloaded with an update later if it is not included originally. Seems like it would be a good thing to have for launch though.
It would have been a good thing to have two years ago, or 15. Stuff comes out when it comes out. The notion of making a car buying choice based on your phone is ludicrous. Which is why both apple and google came to their senses and opted for an approach that sidesteps that issue rather than the proprietary support of the last few years.

Also just because it might be able to be updated, doesn't mean it will be.

aaaahhhh ... that´s crap ... i don´t want to have any bitten Fruit on my new jeep ...
we live in a open world or not?

So they have to have open systems which allow any car to connect to any phone with Bluetooth ...

The least thing i need is an iCar or **** like that !!!

aaaahhhh ... that´s crap ... i don´t want to have any bitten Fruit on my new jeep ...
we live in a open world or not?

So they have to have open systems which allow any car to connect to any phone with Bluetooth ...

The least thing i need is an iCar or **** like that !!!
You don't grasp the concept do you? Either that or you are just an irksome fanboy.

Most infotainment systems in cars are built on QNX or MS's embedded OS at this point. Under these programs, they will continue to be. However, but google and apple are essentially creating native applications for the various flavors of these OSes that allow them to bridge more than jsut phone and audio features wirelessly. I'm assuming over bluetooth. So they'll still have bluetooth tethering for phone, and for audio, and in addition, they will do this stuff. It will, in effect, be very similar to the way they are pairing with their associated smart watches.

It's platform neutral, and that good because

1) buying a car that you keep for years being tightly integrated with phones they want obsolete in 6-12 months is stupid for consumers.

2) Developing and deploying a software platform that can update and stay current as well as 10 years backward compatible is something car manufacturers are absolutely unable to do.

3) Developing phones with 10 year lifcycles is absolutely something the phone makers don't want to do.

4) Both google and apple have already pissed off people by obsoleting the few cars that were brand specific in giant acts of foolishness.

5) apple pissed off pretty much every iphone/ipod 30 pin compatible car owner with lightning and the DRM therein.

FCA is signed up with both apple's carplay, and google's android auto. So unbunch your undies and don't worry about it.

Believe me i sure get tht thing and i am no Fanboy either ... i just want to buy things that touch me in any way but not to buy things i have to buy, because this are the only ones that work correct with it.

I guess you don´t get it was a Monopol really means to you ... just when the competitors are out of the market you pay the price they want from you or just use your Drums instead ...

Believe me i sure get tht thing and i am no Fanboy either ... i just want to buy things that touch me in any way but not to buy things i have to buy, because this are the only ones that work correct with it.

I guess you don´t get it was a Monopol really means to you ... just when the competitors are out of the market you pay the price they want from you or just use your Drums instead ...
Uhh so you have existing Bluetooth standards for phone and audio. Then you are adding android auto and apple car play. Most brands are signed up for both, jeep included. So given that there would be three different standards supported, how does that equate to monopolies or being forced to buy a particular brand or platform?

What exactly would be shut out of which market? They'd probably support windows phone as well if MS showed up with a standard and didn't charge absurd license fees.

So the Problem is not that they include Apple or google in the car ... the Problem is just that both manufacturers are known that they want to be included exclusive ... that means only one brand will have all features that are possible and all the others will work only at minimal standard ...

Last time I checked, Apple, Google and FCA are all capitalistic, FOR PROFIT companies. The feature set they chose to offer is only partly driven but what the customer wants, OF COURSE profit is the driver behind many decisions. If you want an open system, buy a Lada, it is open to anything Putin says it will work with.

Stop complaining and just buy your own Business Jet and the system makers will give you whatever you want:

Apple:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cabin-control/id490201017?mt=8

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gulfstream.gcms.client.atouch

So the Problem is not that they include Apple or google in the car ... the Problem is just that both manufacturers are known that they want to be included exclusive ... that means only one brand will have all features that are possible and all the others will work only at minimal standard ...
Given that most brands have signed up for both, and they both run on the base QNX OS, how do you figure that will actually happen? Only a handful of European brands have singed up for one and not the other. That may come down to the underlying os, as at the moment apple is only supporting QNX, google has not specified such a thing.

On the mass scale it seems Apple may be taking up a big portion of it all, and not so much Google.
Of what all?

Apple markets it more. Apple had tried to make it proprietary, and some makers bit. Apple found themselves facing the fact that they wanted to move on with the OS and the proprietary stuff made people unhappy and the car makers didn't like that (to quote Inspector gadget, go-go 30-pin connector obsolescence). Google in turn formed a consortium and let the car makers come in and have a say. Apple had to circle the wagons and re-evaluate their plan. Since the sum total of hte proprietary bit was the connector interface and licensing, and bluetooth did away with the former, they have to appeal to a more open market.

Unlikely

Is anyone disappointed that Jeep will be getting Apple instead of Android?
Very unlikely that Chrysler will leave out Android Auto and put only Carplay. Its wishful thinking of Apple Nutjobs. Every stereo I have encountered features both. Android Auto has a slight edge due to better maps. I couldn't care less about ITunes as a cheap flash drive does a better job than trying to hook the IPhone or Ipod every time you get in the car.

Bear in mind that post #36 above was resurrecting a thread from 3 1/2 years ago (late 2014). In the tech being discussed that's a generation.

Reactions: MAXintosh
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.