Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Apple's CarPlay coming to Jeep.

35K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  mikeindp 
#1 ·
Today Apple announced that CarPlay would be coming to Jeep in the future. They didn't include models or anything, but this is exciting. Here's the article I read in VentureBeat.

#3 ·
I'm not sure if that will be possible. I'm not sure IF its possible, but I've never seen apple software running on a non apple device and vice versa. I just don't see apple releaseing software without the accompanying hardware, its just not their way...

#17 ·
Car play is just an external UI to the phone. From my understanding it is supposed to be compatible with the QNX OS, and possibly any OS. It specifically is just software for a head unit so it can operate the phone. The phone is the apple hardware. In theory, a software upgrade for access to car play should be possible.

Doesn't mean that it will be though.

#4 ·
Although I am an Apple fan and have several Apple products (including the computer I am typing this on), Chrysler's Uconnect is very highly rated by Consumer Reports and by others, so this feature of the Renegade doesn't worry me at all. In a few rare cases Apple makes versions of their software to run on a non-Apple product (iTunes is the only example I can think of at the moment), but not usually. So I agree with Willy that it is unlikely the Apple software will work on the infotainment hardware in the Renegade. But, as I said, not to worry since the existing software is good.

#5 ·
@LWRobinson, good point about iTunes. The way I've always viewed iTunes however is that it has to be out of necessity, user bases of all apple products would be far less if iTunes was apple products only. Especailly when iTunes debuted Aplpe was a company fighting for its life, the iPod resurrected them. So locking iTunes to Apple hardware would of been the final nail in the coffin.

I find it amusing how beyond condescending some of the writing around this is becoming. From the linked article for instance:

t looks like none of the major auto manufacturers wants to be left out when Apple revolutionizes the car dashboard with its CarPlay
Counting chickens before they hatch much?

CarPlay, which officially debuted back in March, is Apple’s way of extending the functionality of your iPhone (and other iOS devices) to your car in a way that won’t affect your ability to drive safely
C'mon thats BEYOND ironic... Anything that is NOT driving affects your ability to drive safely I don't care what Apple tells you. Considering the iPhone facilitated the needs for CarPlay, whos to say we won't need another new technology to save us from CarPlay ;)

#7 ·
I like the idea of connecting an iphone to a car, but I don't have an iphone and won't. Since I don't need the internet in my pocket I never felt the need to pay $80 a month plus $500 every 2 years, when I can get a pay as you go plan for $100 a year.. and I have a hard time using up all my minutes before they expire :) But this will be good for the folks that want that kind of thing. I have an iPod touch for my music though, so it would be good if I could use that.

If I get a car play radio anyway, will I need an iPhone to have a GPS? If so then that's a definitely no for me :( Again, don't wanna pay the crazy monthly prices they charge.

#8 ·
Necros comments that he likes the idea of connecting an iPhone to a car. Both my iPhone and my iPod connect just fine to the infotainment system in my 2013 Lexus RX450h, and I don't see why they would not connect to the Chrysler supplied Uconnect in the Renegade. I am assuming (and hoping) that they will. Has anyone had any problems connecting an iPhone or an iPod to Uconnect in any other Chrysler product?

#36 ·
Unlikely

Very unlikely that Chrysler will leave out Android Auto and put only Carplay. Its wishful thinking of Apple Nutjobs. Every stereo I have encountered features both. Android Auto has a slight edge due to better maps. I couldn't care less about ITunes as a cheap flash drive does a better job than trying to hook the IPhone or Ipod every time you get in the car.

#10 ·
I just spoke with a salesman at my local Jeep dealer, and he confirmed what I had assumed, which is that Apple products, including my iPhone and iPod, will connect just fine to the Chrysler Uconnect infotainment system. They will connect exactly as they do to the infotainment system in my Lexus. Given that, if they put the existing Chrysler Uconnect in the Renegade I will be happy. I'm more concerned about the 9-speed gearbox and other parts of the new Renegade being troublesome.

#14 ·
yes makes sense. I think if a manufacturers will need to offer both Apple and Google. Obviously Apple/Google is going to favor their company products, so unless they want to alienate an entire chunk of people based on their cell phone both will need to be offered. Now where this will get interesting is if its just a simple software load, or if there will need to be unique hardware for Apple/Google???

#20 ·
I think that people just care so much about the whole Google vs Apple thing because it is such a rivalry with smart phones, and also because car companies haven't been very successful at doing these infotainment systems by themselves, so people are excited to see what a true professional can do with it.

#22 ·
Jeep signed on with Apple CarPlay early this year - does anyone know if it will be available on the Renegade?
The first ones? I doubt it, but anything is possible. Both apple carplay and android auto are basically applications for in dash systems that allow them to pair with their respective phones. The in dash systems still run whatever OS they want. So in theory it could arrive later and be in a flash update to the in dash infotainment system.

Jeep has signed with both apple carplay and android auto.

#24 ·
It would have been a good thing to have two years ago, or 15. Stuff comes out when it comes out. The notion of making a car buying choice based on your phone is ludicrous. Which is why both apple and google came to their senses and opted for an approach that sidesteps that issue rather than the proprietary support of the last few years.

Also just because it might be able to be updated, doesn't mean it will be.

#27 · (Edited)
aaaahhhh ... that´s crap ... i don´t want to have any bitten Fruit on my new jeep ...
we live in a open world or not?

So they have to have open systems which allow any car to connect to any phone with Bluetooth ...

The least thing i need is an iCar or **** like that !!!

#28 ·
You don't grasp the concept do you? Either that or you are just an irksome fanboy.

Most infotainment systems in cars are built on QNX or MS's embedded OS at this point. Under these programs, they will continue to be. However, but google and apple are essentially creating native applications for the various flavors of these OSes that allow them to bridge more than jsut phone and audio features wirelessly. I'm assuming over bluetooth. So they'll still have bluetooth tethering for phone, and for audio, and in addition, they will do this stuff. It will, in effect, be very similar to the way they are pairing with their associated smart watches.

It's platform neutral, and that good because

1) buying a car that you keep for years being tightly integrated with phones they want obsolete in 6-12 months is stupid for consumers.

2) Developing and deploying a software platform that can update and stay current as well as 10 years backward compatible is something car manufacturers are absolutely unable to do.

3) Developing phones with 10 year lifcycles is absolutely something the phone makers don't want to do.

4) Both google and apple have already pissed off people by obsoleting the few cars that were brand specific in giant acts of foolishness.

5) apple pissed off pretty much every iphone/ipod 30 pin compatible car owner with lightning and the DRM therein.

FCA is signed up with both apple's carplay, and google's android auto. So unbunch your undies and don't worry about it.

#29 ·
Believe me i sure get tht thing and i am no Fanboy either ... i just want to buy things that touch me in any way but not to buy things i have to buy, because this are the only ones that work correct with it.

I guess you don´t get it was a Monopol really means to you ... just when the competitors are out of the market you pay the price they want from you or just use your Drums instead ...

#30 ·
Uhh so you have existing Bluetooth standards for phone and audio. Then you are adding android auto and apple car play. Most brands are signed up for both, jeep included. So given that there would be three different standards supported, how does that equate to monopolies or being forced to buy a particular brand or platform?

What exactly would be shut out of which market? They'd probably support windows phone as well if MS showed up with a standard and didn't charge absurd license fees.

#31 ·
So the Problem is not that they include Apple or google in the car ... the Problem is just that both manufacturers are known that they want to be included exclusive ... that means only one brand will have all features that are possible and all the others will work only at minimal standard ...

#33 ·
Given that most brands have signed up for both, and they both run on the base QNX OS, how do you figure that will actually happen? Only a handful of European brands have singed up for one and not the other. That may come down to the underlying os, as at the moment apple is only supporting QNX, google has not specified such a thing.

#32 ·
Last time I checked, Apple, Google and FCA are all capitalistic, FOR PROFIT companies. The feature set they chose to offer is only partly driven but what the customer wants, OF COURSE profit is the driver behind many decisions. If you want an open system, buy a Lada, it is open to anything Putin says it will work with.

Stop complaining and just buy your own Business Jet and the system makers will give you whatever you want:

Apple:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cabin-control/id490201017?mt=8

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gulfstream.gcms.client.atouch

#35 ·
Of what all?

Apple markets it more. Apple had tried to make it proprietary, and some makers bit. Apple found themselves facing the fact that they wanted to move on with the OS and the proprietary stuff made people unhappy and the car makers didn't like that (to quote Inspector gadget, go-go 30-pin connector obsolescence). Google in turn formed a consortium and let the car makers come in and have a say. Apple had to circle the wagons and re-evaluate their plan. Since the sum total of hte proprietary bit was the connector interface and licensing, and bluetooth did away with the former, they have to appeal to a more open market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.