Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a Renegade Trailhawk with the Beats upgrade. We did have the sound quality issue and after doing a software upgrade, the system sounds better. I have read several posts of owners installing after market speakers, but without much explanation as to why. I have the 6 speaker 2016 model.

I am curious to know, before I unscrew anything, are the Beats speakers any different than the normal speakers or is the only difference the "B" logo? Does anyone have comparison information between the different brands of speakers?

If the speakers that come with the Beats Premium Sound package aren't of any premium quality, can we as a whole file complaints to force jeep to install better speakers on their dime?

Like I said, my system sounds much better after the update than before, but Im still not $700 happy with that setup

·
Registered
155 Posts
You are NOT getting anything Beats, except the B logo. But that is a good thing, the day Beats makes anything that sounds above average will be the [email protected]! The speakers are Polish speakers made for Mopar, but they are not very good. Small magnets, low sensitivity and tinny sounding...easy to replace for not a huge amount of money. Replaced the front dash and door speakers in my 6 speaker system for about 125 dollars and BIG improvement. (Kicker speakers)

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should definitely do the dash speakers. Easy, inexpensive. You will be shocked at the difference between the factory and after-market speaker, both physically and sonically.

I have the 2015 9-speaker setup and have changed out the dash, front door and sub speakers. A substantial improvement, with the biggest improvements going to the dash and the sub.

Reactions: RedX

·
Registered
607 Posts
You do get tweeters in the rear doors and a sub that is on the right side of the trunk/luggage area wall (normal renegades do not have either of those). Before I bought my Renegade, I hopped in one with the base sound, hooked up my iphone/itunes and listened to one song with the volume at level 25, and then immediately hopped in one with beats audio and listened to the exact same song at volume of 25. The difference was pretty big, all these people on here that say the beats isn't much better - probably did not do what I did. Also, I went in on the touchscreen, audio settings, and adjusted the levels on the equalizer to make it sound even better.

Reactions: Opus51569

·
Registered
155 Posts
Drifter, I did exactly what you said... I drove two TH...one with the 6 speaker system, which I ended up buying and one with the Beats Audio system (both were 2015 models, although this was early 2016). Neither sound system sounded very good and the Beats, with a sub woofer, wasn't using the low end very much. I was hooked up via a 3 mm cord, so no Bluetooth compression. Now two songs and about 15 min in each vehicle... IS NOT long enough to really evaluate speakers/sound systems. But I walked away thinking the Beats audio system was a rip off, little, if any sound improvement and ~700 dollars added to the sticker price! Now, this was before the software upgrade to fix the misguided usage of crossover freq!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Drifter, I did exactly what you said... I drove two TH...one with the 6 speaker system, which I ended up buying and one with the Beats Audio system (both were 2015 models, although this was early 2016). Neither sound system sounded very good and the Beats, with a sub woofer, wasn't using the low end very much. I was hooked up via a 3 mm cord, so no Bluetooth compression. Now two songs and about 15 min in each vehicle... IS NOT long enough to really evaluate speakers/sound systems. But I walked away thinking the Beats audio system was a rip off, little, if any sound improvement and ~700 dollars added to the sticker price! Now, this was before the software upgrade to fix the misguided usage of crossover freq!
Oh ok, well I did this in March of 2016 between two 2016 models, so that might be why you and I had different experiences.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, you are most likely correct. All I know is almost everyone who has the Beats system complains about the poor use of crossovers, but I think that was corrected in the 2016 model. In fact, didn't FCA cut ties with Beats?

·
Registered
261 Posts
You should definitely do the dash speakers. Easy, inexpensive. You will be shocked at the difference between the factory and after-market speaker, both physically and sonically.

I have the 2015 9-speaker setup and have changed out the dash, front door and sub speakers. A substantial improvement, with the biggest improvements going to the dash and the sub.
I have the 9 speaker 2016 beats and replaced all speakers with Kickers. If i were to prioritize i'd go for dash first, sub second and front door 3rd. I wouldn't bother with the rear door speakers. If I was doing it again I might choose reference infinity 2 ohm for the front doors instead of the Kicker 4 ohms.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yep, you are most likely correct. All I know is almost everyone who has the Beats system complains about the poor use of crossovers, but I think that was corrected in the 2016 model. In fact, didn't FCA cut ties with Beats?
Well, You could not get the beats audio system on the 2015 Renegade, that upgraded sound system for the 2015's was just called the "6 speaker sound system". Beats Audio in a car came out for the first time in 2016 on 2016 Renegades only.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Well, You could not get the beats audio system on the 2015 Renegade, that upgraded sound system for the 2015's was just called the "6 speaker sound system". Beats Audio in a car came out for the first time in 2016 on 2016 Renegades only.

2015 had 9 speaker premium audio. 6 speaker is what you get normally in everything but the sport.

·
Registered
607 Posts
2015 had 9 speaker premium audio. 6 speaker is what you get normally in everything but the sport.
Sorry, I meant the 2015's got the 9 speaker audio as an upgrade, not 6 speaker, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.