Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am an owner of a 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. I have about 51,000 miles on it and I am pretty up to date with necessary oil changes, tire rotations, and inspections. I come on here to ask what are some at-home maintenance I can be doing to preserve my car and keep it healthy and running properly. Whether it is cleaning some engine parts, checking some things under the hood, etc?
My car has been running great for the past year and a half since I owned it. I got it when it had 27,000 miles. Lately, it has been making weird noises when I accelerate on the gas. It is something like a flapping noise, or as if something is in the way of the exhaust. During these COVID-19 times, it is hard to schedule an appointment and spend a lot of money on repairs.
I would like to know if there is anything I can do at home, for a better price to keep my car running well and healthy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One item that might need checking is the cabin filter. They recommend changing them every 40K miles. It is not easily accesible but it is not that hard to change, I did it! There some YouTube videos on the internet that are helpful, plus I am putting a link to a website that has quite a few how to write-ups from changing spark plugs, fuses, cabin filter, etc. I am planning on doing my spark plugs in the near future and also doing the cabin filter again. Here is the link: Jeep Renegade Common Problems, DIY Repair Guides, & Vehicle Maintenance Instructions - 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Model Years

Good luck, keep us posted on your Renegade maintenance. We like pictures by the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

At your mileage for your little Jeep I would do a rear diff service.

·
Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
86 Posts
Some things I would check/do

-Cabin filter
-Trans fluid drain and refill
-Dif Fluid
-Check Belts Hoses Fluid Levels
-Silicone spray all weatherstrip
-Lubricate all door hinges
-Lubricate shift cables
-Check suspension for any worn parts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
130 Posts
I’ll add to the above...
-Transfer Case Fluid change (every 30,000 miles)
-Remember to change the transmission filter and filter gasket along with the fluid. EDIT: There is No filter to change.
-Chassis lube every time you do an oil change (tie rods, ball joints,etc).

·
Registered
23 Posts
was in a similar position op. after a long while searching online for what i needed, i went to an oem online dealer where i got good prices (Mopar Parts - Genuine OEM Mopar Parts and Accessories Online) and grabbed what i could do at home. went for filters, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. i would work on the car little by little and i wasnt afraid to ask friends or go to youtube/online forums. its never a bad thing to learn and asking questions and be 100% correct. i like how much i have saved, both using some oem gear and doing at home maintenance.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I replaced the cabin filter and the engine air filter 2 weeks ago.

The paper engine air filter was replaced by the washable and reusable KN filter and now the Jeep positively growls. This took around 2-3 minutes. Cabin filter under 15 minutes.

Engine oil and filter was to be changed tomorrow. Maybe now, midweek.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
130 Posts
Finally I’m diving into researching the Renegade maintenance procedures and to correct my previous statement....there is no transmission filter to change, so no need to worry about that! I’m coming from a Yukon which does have a tranny filter (and a pan that you need to drop), so this fluid change will be a breeze!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts