Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know at how many revs does the turbo engage in the 1.4 turbo petrol engine?

· Registered
607 Posts
Does anyone know at how many revs does the turbo engage in the 1.4 turbo petrol engine?
What do you mean by when does it engage? It's always engaged, it never stops! But you might be asking at what RPM do you feel the full effect of boost? I don't have a renegade yet, but I would imagine the boost builds quickly since it does have a small turbo!

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel the max boost at about 3500-3750rpm.
But does the turbo start boosting i.e. from 1800rpm?

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, do you know if there is any boost indicator in the dash (I mean an electronic indicator). Maybe there is an option in the settings of the dash or the Radio.
I will go through the settings my self when possible to check. The Alfa Romeo Gullieta has an electronic indicator in the settings of the dash. And I was thinking that since we share the same or similar engines we may have some boost indicator too.

Reactions: Ted

· Registered
368 Posts
Also, do you know if there is any boost indicator in the dash (I mean an electronic indicator). Maybe there is an option in the settings of the dash or the Radio.
I will go through the settings my self when possible to check. The Alfa Romeo Gullieta has an electronic indicator in the settings of the dash. And I was thinking that since we share the same or similar engines we may have some boost indicator too.
Oooh, that would be nice :)

· Registered
604 Posts
I wish. I was surprised to see there wasn't a boost gauge included in the available readouts for the center cluster screen. It has both coolant and oil temperature readouts, but no boost gauge? So the only option I have for monitoring the boost is the Torque app on my phone connected to my bluetooth OBDII reader.

· Registered
87 Posts
I had the same engine in a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. If the Renegade is programed the same way, the boost comes on to keep the torque at the optimum level, RPM's really do not effect the turbo boost as much as the need for torque. Load, speed, acceleration all require torque and the turbo in the Fiat Abarth was designed to keep the torque level optimum. Not totally sure about the Renegade however. My Latitude has the 2.4 Litre engine, not the 1.4 Litre turbo.

· Registered
112 Posts
I didn't notice the RPMs, but I was driving around yesterday with the windows down and you could hear the turbo spool up as soon as I started accelerating (low RPMs). It is rather quiet (as compared to my Cummins diesel truck!), quick, and very high pitched. You can hear it at low RPMs, but I can feel a power boost at about 3500 RPM.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't notice the RPMs, but I was driving around yesterday with the windows down and you could hear the turbo spool up as soon as I started accelerating (low RPMs). It is rather quiet (as compared to my Cummins diesel truck!), quick, and very high pitched. You can hear it at low RPMs, but I can feel a power boost at about 3500 RPM.
Exactly my thoughts and experience.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the only option I have for monitoring the boost is the Torque app on my phone connected to my bluetooth OBDII reader.
Where exactly is the OBDii plug? I have an OBDii reader and also the torque app in my mobile.

· Registered
604 Posts
I love that sound. Just because the turbine spinning up doesn't mean it's boosting though. It'll spin up as soon as there is significant exhaust pressure. I'm sure the turbo is windmilling even at idle, what with the low-friction bearings used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.