Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whole I love this car but my pet hate with the Renegade (and several of its "competitors") is the way the rear hatch spoiler sits so high in the open position that you can't access the luggage space if you are carrying a long load on the roof. This vehicle is supposed to assist an outdoor lifestyle but if you want to access the back remember to remove kayaks, canoes, surfboards etc first. If I was able to change one thing it would be to include either a side opening hatch (check out new Mini Clubman for inspiration) or a seperate opening glass panel or, even better, a power down tailgate glass. What would you change? And I hope Jeeps designers are reading this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a whole I love this car but my pet hate with the Renegade (and several of its "competitors") is the way the rear hatch spoiler sits so high in the open position that you can't access the luggage space if you are carrying a long load on the roof. This vehicle is supposed to assist an outdoor lifestyle but if you want to access the back remember to remove kayaks, canoes, surfboards etc first. If I was able to change one thing it would be to include either a side opening hatch (check out new Mini Clubman for inspiration) or a seperate opening glass panel or, even better, a power down tailgate glass. What would you change? And I hope Jeeps designers are reading this.
I had a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero with a side opening rear door - I loved it for a lot of reasons, including step access to the roof rack. I suspect Jeep went with a hatch to keep the price down and because they were in fear of doing something different that might alienate middle America. Heck! They were building the car in Italy, what's more different for a Jeep than that?! I think it is a mistake for Jeep to underestimate the Renegade market and the level of quality we desire. I think there are a lot of people that had a Mini Countryman, or some such, that are now looking for a more capable mini SUV. Those people will pay a couple of dollars more for a better rig.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I loved the gate of our old Honda CRV. When we had to replace that with a hatched CRV, I wasn't happy. Didn't notice it on the Renegade as an issue, but now that you've mentioned it there obviously an area for improvement, especially given the target consumer this vehicle is supposedly going after.

There's so much I would change: more storage space inside, redesign the trunk area so those wasted "tire"spaces (which are hollow) aren't there, a better arm rest on my Limited (are the others the same) that doesn't unlock and slide forward with a minimal effort, a reason for the container that the rearview mirror is attached to (it has a function for some, but it's an empty box in mine), a sunglass holder with a mirror to see in the back seat, and a bunch of other touches.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Renegade, but I feel like I've paid just as much money for it to just be a Jeep as to be a decent vehicle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't really think of this before. Would you have preferred a trunk door that swings open horizontally?
Any method that allows the load to stay on the bars until you want it off is fine by me. Liberty had a flip up glass and side hinges to the tailgate so no problem either way.and looking at a lot of older SUVs they dont have this problem or at least have taken measures to counter it. It's the replacement of those true utility vehicles by the crossover that introduces compromises. I think Jeep overlooked good features of past models with the Renegade.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I too would have thought that a split level rear lift gate would have been ideal for the Renegade. The bottom part like a pickup (or as shown on the Jeep Renegade Steel Concept trailer). And the Top part swings up or the window. That would help with transporting really long stuff.

TS out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.