Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Trailhawk with all options ordered and on it's way and was checking out the new stuff for the 2016. I found this for the 2016:

For 2016, the Jeep Renegade’s features have expanded to include a state-of-the-art BeatsAudio system. The Renegade’s optional premium has nine speakers with a 6.5-inch subwoofer and 506-watt amplifier for studio-quality sound not usually available in this type of vehicle.

I am just curious what type of system is in the 2015. I am either blind or it is unnamed ????
:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I have a 2015 Trailhawk with all options ordered and on it's way and was checking out the new stuff for the 2016. I found this for the 2016:

For 2016, the Jeep Renegade’s features have expanded to include a state-of-the-art BeatsAudio system. The Renegade’s optional premium has nine speakers with a 6.5-inch subwoofer and 506-watt amplifier for studio-quality sound not usually available in this type of vehicle.

I am just curious what type of system is in the 2015. I am either blind or it is unnamed ????
Exact same specs except no beats sticker. Beats makes nothing but branding and sometimes eq curves. Usually the eq curve is one to make the system sound bad until you turn it off.

I suspect nothing practical will change as the eu system was branded as beats and sounded just as bad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exact same specs except no beats sticker. Beats makes nothing but branding and sometimes eq curves. Usually the eq curve is one to make the system sound bad until you turn it off.

I suspect nothing practical will change as the eu system was branded as beats and sounded just as bad.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wrote to Jeep using the link on Jeeps.com and they verified that the hardware is the same in the 2015 Premium Audio System. That system is part of the Popular Equipment Group in 2015 ($745). It was removed from the PE Group in 2016 ($595) - to get the same equipment in 2016, you have to order Beats ($695). So in effect, you must pay an extra $545 in 2016 for the same Premium Audio hardware - and what do you get for that extra? - Beats logos on your speakers and maybe an equalization that emphasizes base and treble - that you likely could have achieved with the UConnect tone controls.

This is a rip off - but then that is what Beats is all about - meaningless celebrity endorsements that you pay for. Neither Beats, or FCA will tell you tell you the performance details - just a bunch of fluff.

Anyone remember Monster Cable and their high priced audio and HDMI cables. They were working with Beats for a while - a perfect arrangement - they both charged a lot for hype.

Shame on Jeep and Chrysler for being a part of this scam and charging us extra for virtually nothing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
****. I'm a sucker. I wanted the pop equipment group, mainly for the 40/20/40 seating in the back and started liking the idea of the upgraded audio. When it came time to order the 2016, I saw that it was removed from the popular equipment and added separately for an absurd amount difference ($545 overall like you said). I knew it was because of the name brand crap, but assumed it would still be better equipment and added it to my order. Embarrassed to say I paid that much for something I really shouldn't have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ordered the Beats Audio in mine, I wanted the 9 Amp'd speaker system. I just downloaded the brochure and noticed it speaks of 8 channels, I assume they mean for the Equalizer. I think the old head unit was only 3. (Can someone confirm?)

Not that it matters, I already agreed to a price. I just wait.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

"premium has nine speakers with a 6.5-inch subwoofer and 506-watt amplifier for studio-quality sound not usually available in this type of vehicle."

They added a sticker. The EU always had the sticker from day one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the Beats hi-powered audio system in my 2013 Fiat Abarth. Had a lot of bass, nothing much to brag about. In my 2015 Renegade Latitude, I have the 506 Watt system that came with the Popular Equipment Group (PEG). The sound is about the same in fact I could not tell the difference for the most part. The Beats system in my Fiat was an expensive option (I believe $750) compared to the base radio. I think both the PEG and Beats systems are both good for this class of vehicle. The Beats should not cost much more however compared to the PEG if it does cost more at all

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I ordered the Beats Audio in mine, I wanted the 9 Amp'd speaker system. I just downloaded the brochure and noticed it speaks of 8 channels, I assume they mean for the Equalizer. I think the old head unit was only 3. (Can someone confirm?)

Not that it matters, I already agreed to a price. I just wait.
Dunno. They claim that 2016 brings uconnect2.0 or whatever the next revision is, so it's possible they have more EQ channels, but I doubt it. Usually they are talking audio channels like 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems.

Technically the renegade upgraded audio could be considered a 6.1 speaker system. Front l/r, mid l/r, rear l/r and a sub. More honestly it is a 4.1 system with bi-amped front l/r.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered my 2016 Trailhawk in September and got it just a few weeks ago, Nov 13. I got everything except leather and MySky. The beats audio is so bad I've already got it back at the dealer. 190 miles on it. My 2006 Kia Spectra5 standard equipment sounded 1000x better. This is actually a deal breaker for me. If it's not fixed so I have awesome sound, they can have it back.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wrote to Jeep using the link on Jeeps.com and they verified that the hardware is the same in the 2015 Premium Audio System. That system is part of the Popular Equipment Group in 2015 ($745). It was removed from the PE Group in 2016 ($595) - to get the same equipment in 2016, you have to order Beats ($695). So in effect, you must pay an extra $545 in 2016 for the same Premium Audio hardware - and what do you get for that extra? - Beats logos on your speakers and maybe an equalization that emphasizes base and treble - that you likely could have achieved with the UConnect tone controls.

This is a rip off - but then that is what Beats is all about - meaningless celebrity endorsements that you pay for. Neither Beats, or FCA will tell you tell you the performance details - just a bunch of fluff.

Anyone remember Monster Cable and their high priced audio and HDMI cables. They were working with Beats for a while - a perfect arrangement - they both charged a lot for hype.

Shame on Jeep and Chrysler for being a part of this scam and charging us extra for virtually nothing.
Yes but is probably a really nice sticker with the Beats logo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ordered my 2016 Trailhawk in September and got it just a few weeks ago, Nov 13. I got everything except leather and MySky. The beats audio is so bad I've already got it back at the dealer. 190 miles on it. My 2006 Kia Spectra5 standard equipment sounded 1000x better. This is actually a deal breaker for me. If it's not fixed so I have awesome sound, they can have it back.
@ Zero,

Based on other threads, I am pre-ordering Kicker Speakers for the dash and will have the dealer put them in before I leave the lot. I understand it makes a HUGE difference in sound. (so, you see my expectation is not that high). But I am curious, how many channels is the BEATS equalizer? I am hoping for more than 3 here.

Trailhawk, Solar Yellow - Ordered 10/25, currently in Atlantic on boat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dialach,

All I have for equalizer options is the 3 standard ones. My sound system is still crap. I hope you had better luck. I'm asking for a buy back under Indiana lemon law. They had my jeep in there for 2 weeks last time and no fix. With all their guess-fixing, they changed out the 6.5" nav module in the console and I lost USB, Sirius and bluetooth is now intermittent. I did finally get Sirius back but ... with a POS BeatsAudio system, its just not that fun to drive. I will buy another Trailhawk with all the stuff I got this time, but no BeatsAudio. Fuming mad about all this. :mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have the Beats system, I have the trailhawk with 6 speaker system (2015). But from what I understand, the Beats system using illogical crossover to accomplish some crappy sound. Send full range signal to the smallish, 3.5 inch front dash speakers, send midrange to the more capable door speakers, install a tweeter only in the back door and under-utilize the rear subwoofer.
Add to that and also pertaining to my 6 speaker system, the stock speakers are "a huge pile of dog dung"...poor quality, lack in sensitivity!

So, if you have any audio set up other than the Beats Audio system, replacing the stock speakers will give you a huge boast in SQ! I replace the dash and front door speakers, removed the bass blockers from the dash speakers and got an instant improvement for everything except talk radio, which sounds the same, and did so for less than 150 bucks! Louder, better clarity on the high end and actually has some bass now! Now, if you have the Beat system, replacing the stock speakers cannot hurt...but it might not be your biggest problem and may not help as much!!!

Also, if I use a USB drive or 3.5 MM connection to my ipod, sound is much higher quality than blue tooth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Really.......!!!!!!!!!is it so!!!!!thanks for sharing! :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honestly the Beats system in the Renegade is very bad
My Alpine system stock from my 2015 Wrangler Hard Rock is literally so amazing I love it.
But when I play music in my renegade with the beats... yuck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.