Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Trailhawk for less than a week. It has the premium sound system, when I start it first thing in the ironing it tells me that the sound system is available, with the speaker and the! make displayed, however, my phone is connected, and my radio is displayed properly. This means I can't use my phone unless I unpair it, or use Uconnect, I learned this at 5 am on my way to work. Any suggestions. I contacted Uconnect and they were no help. Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've had my Trailhawk for less than a week. It has the premium sound system, when I start it first thing in the ironing it tells me that the sound system is available, with the speaker and the! make displayed, however, my phone is connected, and my radio is displayed properly. This means I can't use my phone unless I unpair it, or use Uconnect, I learned this at 5 am on my way to work. Any suggestions. I contacted Uconnect and they were no help. Thanks
Why can't you use your phone. It will work though the car sound system and if you turn off the car it will still work through the car for about 15 minutes then it will switch over to your phone. You only pare it once and everytime you get into the car and start it it will transfer your phgone calls to the car system. You can still make and cancel calls from your phone.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
36 Posts
Why would you use the phone while driving??!! Even "Hands Free" it is still distracted driving. If it is that urgent pull over and get out of traffic.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Why would you use the phone while driving??!! Even "Hands Free" it is still distracted driving. If it is that urgent pull over and get out of traffic.
I use it all the time its not distracting. You can answer or cancel calls by voice or ia steering wheel no need to take your eyes off the road. Someone calls you just hit the button or by voice command. I like the button on the steering wheel myself. You can also tune radio change volume levels all from the steering wheel no need to take your eyes off the road once you learn the buttons which may take five minutes to learn if your a slow learner

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
36 Posts
I use it all the time its not distracting. You can answer or cancel calls by voice or ia steering wheel no need to take your eyes off the road. Someone calls you just hit the button or by voice command. I like the button on the steering wheel myself. You can also tune radio change volume levels all from the steering wheel no need to take your eyes off the road once you learn the buttons which may take five minutes to learn if your a slow learner
I guess with a population just a tad over 1100 you have room to breathe. But the city I'm in is only 13 miles from downtown L.A. and the majority of them have your mindset about using their cell phones and driving. In my neck of the wood you have to drive for yourself and all the others on the road. Close to 98,000 where I live and mostly drivers that act like you are driving on their personal road! When you encounter some fool trying to back up to get back to the freeway exit they missed because of the "important" phone call or text, you'll understand my attitude about how important that little camera with communication capabilities ranks while piloting a 4400 lb. vehicle at 75mph. Plus most of them are probably trying to learn all they can about all the bells, whistles, and buttons in their car while in traffic. I've had too many close calls from these people who don't even acknowledge they were doing something that is prohibited by law. You are probably thinking I'm over-reacting but I just don't relish being injured or even killed because someone believes they aren't distracted by their phone while behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry I asked.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
36 Posts
I'm sorry I asked.
I apologize for sounding like a raving madman. It wasn't directed at you. I drive a Honda Goldwing to work daily and have lost count of how many times I've heard "I didn't see you"! It sort of explains my feelings about phones a driving as there are enough lights on the front and, actually, all around the bike that make it impossible to miss it even at high noon. Again, please accept my apology.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess with a population just a tad over 1100 you have room to breathe. But the city I'm in is only 13 miles from downtown L.A. and the majority of them have your mindset about using their cell phones and driving. In my neck of the wood you have to drive for yourself and all the others on the road. Close to 98,000 where I live and mostly drivers that act like you are driving on their personal road! When you encounter some fool trying to back up to get back to the freeway exit they missed because of the "important" phone call or text, you'll understand my attitude about how important that little camera with communication capabilities ranks while piloting a 4400 lb. vehicle at 75mph. Plus most of them are probably trying to learn all they can about all the bells, whistles, and buttons in their car while in traffic. I've had too many close calls from these people who don't even acknowledge they were doing something that is prohibited by law. You are probably thinking I'm over-reacting but I just don't relish being injured or even killed because someone believes they aren't distracted by their phone while behind the steering wheel.
No your not over reacting traffic is as you stated and many times even worse. I'm on the hyways alot, i used to drive at least 45k a year now only maybe 25 and i have seen everything that a person can do being done going down the hyway. Having your phone linked to your car and you learning the hands free and steering wheel controls that do not require you taking your eyes off the road can be a great safety thing. You see an incident and can call it in without even slowing down. The modern cruise control systems will take control of the car if an accident is imminent to avoid the accident and if your looking at your feet and a car slows in front of you all of a sudden it will slow you down so you don't hit them. These new upgraded systems can save your life and have already saved many peoples lives. They don't just watch in front of your car they watch all around and can even see around blind corners. Your jeep has a buttin on the roof that if touched instantly puts you in contact with emergency services a nice feature that does not require a phone.
I used to be in LA often and learned times to avoid and detours to miss traffic. I Haven't lately because of covid and because of that train stopping storm the year before last that trashed about a mile of my fences I'm still repairing.Yep, stopped a commuter train going down the tracks and kept them snowed in for two days before help arrive. You may remember that incident on the news?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hmmm! Because it's legal is likely to be the answer from most folks.

I on the other hand agree with you that it is still a distraction. Now without the topic being turned into a trolling session I will offer up a few instances that will reinforce our thoughts:

Travelling on the motorway (70mph speed limit) and without using cruise control I was chatting on the phone blissfully unaware that I was now doing over 80mph. If that incident alone is not an example of why we shouldn't use the phone, hands free when driving then I don't know what will. After that incident I refuse to answer my phone when driving and that was many years ago when it became legal to use hands free.

Sitting at traffic lights and you look in the rear view mirror, "natter, natter, natter................" the light is green and you move off. Horns blare and then you see the car behind has not moved as they were blissfully chatting unaware that the lights had changed.

An accident in front of you has occured and traffic has started slowing down. "Yack, yack, yack" and then a screech of the brakes and heaven forbid that you have crashed into the queing traffic for failing to drive without due care. Horrendous results from that accident because you were chatting on the phone, hands free.

Without getting me going into my Fireman Firefighter mode and recalling the horrific incidents attended in all environments ie, city, urban, countryside etc that were caused by distraction whilst using phones, please hide your phone and dont use it in the Jeep or any other vehicle.

I read that glove compartments were to be lined with a phone signal restrictor that prevented any phone connection whilst shielded. Bring it on asap.

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
For all you folks policing bluetooth use of others, I hope you muzzle any passengers and refuse to talk to them.
Also, lots of people play their music for their phone. If that's too distracting, I hope you operate in total focused silence while driving.

As for the OP, if you are getting audio unavailable with the speaker with an exclamation point symbol, likely one of your speakers went bad. It happens, speakers will either go bad very early, or last quite a while. You probably got one doomed from the factory.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmm! Because it's legal is likely to be the answer from most folks.

I on the other hand agree with you that it is still a distraction. Now without the topic being turned into a trolling session I will offer up a few instances that will reinforce our thoughts:

Travelling on the motorway (70mph speed limit) and without using cruise control I was chatting on the phone blissfully unaware that I was now doing over 80mph. If that incident alone is not an example of why we shouldn't use the phone, hands free when driving then I don't know what will. After that incident I refuse to answer my phone when driving and that was many years ago when it became legal to use hands free.

Sitting at traffic lights and you look in the rear view mirror, "natter, natter, natter................" the light is green and you move off. Horns blare and then you see the car behind has not moved as they were blissfully chatting unaware that the lights had changed.

An accident in front of you has occured and traffic has started slowing down. "Yack, yack, yack" and then a screech of the brakes and heaven forbid that you have crashed into the queing traffic for failing to drive without due care. Horrendous results from that accident because you were chatting on the phone, hands free.

Without getting me going into my Fireman Firefighter mode and recalling the horrific incidents attended in all environments ie, city, urban, countryside etc that were caused by distraction whilst using phones, please hide your phone and dont use it in the Jeep or any other vehicle.

I read that glove compartments were to be lined with a phone signal restrictor that prevented any phone connection whilst shielded. Bring it on asap.
I dont have that problem i travel alone 99% of the time and once you learn to use the safety features on your vehicle you will have much less chance of an accident because your attention will be on the road. I use CC even in the city and stop and go keeps my eyes on the road instead of always glancing at the speedo. Also the new ones will stop you if your about to hit someone and the handsfree phone systems can save your life and do not require you ti take your attention off the road for even a split second. Just take the time to learn the new ways and tecvhnology that were designed to save your life. I was an emergency responder for a lot of years and have seen my shared of incidents caused by inattentive drivers which happened even before cell phones were around.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
BFloyd we most certainly will disagree on this topic. That was my point that it will not be a trolling topic.

Everyone has a reason why they should use a hands free phone.

At least you do agree that on occasion accidents are prevented by having eyes on the road.

Learning safety features encourages laziness. That is the dangerous point when humans dont use their own intelligence.

·
Registered
384 Posts
BFloyd we most certainly will disagree on this topic. That was my point that it will not be a trolling topic.

Everyone has a reason why they should use a hands free phone.

At least you do agree that on occasion accidents are prevented by having eyes on the road.

Learning safety features encourages laziness. That is the dangerous point when humans dont use their own intelligence.
Learning about safety devices does not encourage laziness it improves preparedness for an incident possibly saving injury or life. An intelligent person learns about safety devices available to him so they may be used when needed.
Your argument is the same that people used regarding seat belts but the fact is they do save lives. I don't use seat belts because i saw people that died because they could not get out of a vehicle fast enough because of a seat belt. If you had spent as much time as i have as an emergency responder you would understand what i am talking about. I don't talk against seat belts even though i don't use them I recognize the fact they do save lives and should be used even though i don't.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi Floyd, we have chatted in a PM and cleared up the misunderstanding.

I also agree with your seatbelt theory. Sadly in the UK I will not be taking the chance of 3 penalty points on my licence for failing to wear the seatbelt.

Anyway, regarding the mobile phone, I also agree that there is a time and place for it.

Perhaps I was OTT when I suggested that learning about safety features encourages laziness. That should have been better worded.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Floyd, we have chatted in a PM and cleared up the misunderstanding.

I also agree with your seatbelt theory. Sadly in the UK I will not be taking the chance of 3 penalty points on my licence for failing to wear the seatbelt.

Anyway, regarding the mobile phone, I also agree that there is a time and place for it.

Perhaps I was OTT when I suggested that learning about safety features encourages laziness. That should have been better worded.
you were just wound up:).....no big deal. You live in the UK? My mom was a war bride from Grantham

·
Registered
623 Posts
bfloyd4445-

I've been 2-wheeling since the late 70's and I've heard that "I didn't see you !" excuse a gazillion times, way before cell phones were even a thought on paper. This is going to make you shudder; I have an StarCom intercom system on my bike to talk to my passenger (sidecar rig) and my phone auto-connects when I start the bike and my phone plays music if I so choose. Yep, I can also take calls while riding. Intercom quality is so great no one knows I'm knees-in-the-breeze. When I'm on a call, my attention actually intensifies. Never had a wreck, never got hit in 42 years of riding. Actually, I've never had a accident in ANY vehicle in my entire life, I'm that cautious of a driver/rider. I treat my handsfree in the Jeep and rig as talking to another passenger, the exception being, while on a call if the traffic/driving conditions up ahead look suspicious, I say, "Looking dicey up ahead, gotta go, bye" and hang up. I don't wait for a response, a good-bye, a what's happening, I just hang up.

I started to write a phone app that was aimed at teen drivers. When the accelerometer and GPS built into every phone detected the phone was going greater than 20 mph, the phone instantly became disabled. No calls in or out, no texts either. Only 911 worked. The parents could enable 2 other numbers to pass, Mom and Dad or whomever. It could only be fully unlocked and disabling GPS by entering a password, hopefully set by a parent or adult. Sounded good but a lawyer friend said I was opening up myself to be sued in case something tragic happened. Scrapped the idea.

There has been distracted driving ever since we started travelling faster than we could run. There always will be.

·
Registered
384 Posts
bfloyd4445-

I've been 2-wheeling since the late 70's and I've heard that "I didn't see you !" excuse a gazillion times, way before cell phones were even a thought on paper. This is going to make you shudder; I have an StarCom intercom system on my bike to talk to my passenger (sidecar rig) and my phone auto-connects when I start the bike and my phone plays music if I so choose. Yep, I can also take calls while riding. Intercom quality is so great no one knows I'm knees-in-the-breeze. When I'm on a call, my attention actually intensifies. Never had a wreck, never got hit in 42 years of riding. Actually, I've never had a accident in ANY vehicle in my entire life, I'm that cautious of a driver/rider. I treat my handsfree in the Jeep and rig as talking to another passenger, the exception being, while on a call if the traffic/driving conditions up ahead look suspicious, I say, "Looking dicey up ahead, gotta go, bye" and hang up. I don't wait for a response, a good-bye, a what's happening, I just hang up.

I started to write a phone app that was aimed at teen drivers. When the accelerometer and GPS built into every phone detected the phone was going greater than 20 mph, the phone instantly became disabled. No calls in or out, no texts either. Only 911 worked. The parents could enable 2 other numbers to pass, Mom and Dad or whomever. It could only be fully unlocked and disabling GPS by entering a password, hopefully set by a parent or adult. Sounded good but a lawyer friend said I was opening up myself to be sued in case something tragic happened. Scrapped the idea.

There has been distracted driving ever since we started travelling faster than we could run. There always will be.
phones are not the only thing that distracts the driver a pretty girl a neat looking vehicle etc. You cannot fool proof everything. People must,,, as i stated before....take the time to learn how to properly use safety devices in order for them to be effective and that goes for everything.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
36 Posts
bfloyd4445-

I've been 2-wheeling since the late 70's and I've heard that "I didn't see you !" excuse a gazillion times, way before cell phones were even a thought on paper. This is going to make you shudder; I have an StarCom intercom system on my bike to talk to my passenger (sidecar rig)...
Why should I shudder? My Goldwing has a built in intercom that feeds the audio through the stereo. However, It is usually off while driving and then turned on after a tap on my shoulder from the wife.

... Never had a wreck, never got hit in 42 years of riding...
I started my 2-wheeling in the early 70's and was hit once by a drunk driver at night who ran a stop sign! Aside from that minor mishap I, too, have never had an accident.

I treat my handsfree in the Jeep and rig as talking to another passenger, the exception being, while on a call if the traffic/driving conditions up ahead look suspicious, I say, "Looking dicey up ahead, gotta go, bye" and hang up. I don't wait for a response, a good-bye, a what's happening, I just hang up.
I wish more drivers were like you in this respect. I applaud your sense of responsibility!

That would have been a terrific app! Unfortunately raising the possibility of litigation seems to reinforce the abusers ability to deny any responsibility for their actions. What sort of trouble could a "normal" person get into under 20 mph? Maybe driving out of a parking lot into traffic while being distracted by their non-hands-free use of a cell phone? Then whose fault would that be? Obviously the enabler's, despite being a clearly flagrant misuse of technology! But then 30 years ago vehicle owners manuals came with instructions on how to adjust your valves. These days there is a warning not to drink the battery fluid. It's sad that our society has to cater to the snowflakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts