Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done an upgrade to the audio of their Renegade? I have the 6 speaker system with a Uconnect 5.0.

I like the headunit, but the mids and lows just don't seem to really do it for me..

Has anyone added a small subwoofer? I'm past the days of having a box take up my trunk, so I was thinking of a small powered sub under the seat, or somehow integrating a factory sub from the upgraded system into the cargo area or??

I have a TH with the MySky, so the storage area in the trunk is full, and I need the flat trunk space to keep the storage bag in.

· Registered
7 Posts
Audio Update

Hey there,

Totally agree with you on the audio. I recently had a local radio warehouse install 2 dash 4" Diamond Audio speakers, an Alpine amp under the drivers seat, bass knob in the drivers wheel well, and a 10'' shallow sub box by Kenwood Excelon P-XW1000B 10" Single Subwoofer Enclosure. Because it is a down-firing sub you are able to put things above it. It is currently in the space below the mat that folds up in back. The MySky bag still fits in the space too. I would say the audio sounds about 60% better. But I will be replacing the subwoofer with a 12'' sub/shallow mount box because I enjoy "feeling" the music. The 10'' pounds but not well enough for me.

Hope this help! I can send pics if you need!

Cheers!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there,

Totally agree with you on the audio. I recently had a local radio warehouse install 2 dash 4" Diamond Audio speakers, an Alpine amp under the drivers seat, bass knob in the drivers wheel well, and a 10'' shallow sub box by Kenwood Excelon P-XW1000B 10" Single Subwoofer Enclosure. Because it is a down-firing sub you are able to put things above it. It is currently in the space below the mat that folds up in back. The MySky bag still fits in the space too. I would say the audio sounds about 60% better. But I will be replacing the subwoofer with a 12'' sub/shallow mount box because I enjoy "feeling" the music. The 10'' pounds but not well enough for me.

Hope this help! I can send pics if you need!

Cheers!
Could you post some pictures to get me some ideas, thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Oops! Totally forgot you had a spare, and you don't have that cubby hole that I have... Hmmm... You would have to have something put under your seat to hear any improvement.. The 10'' just doesn't penetrate the cabin well... imagine anything smaller?! yuck!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops! Totally forgot you had a spare, and you don't have that cubby hole that I have... Hmmm... You would have to have something put under your seat to hear any improvement.. The 10'' just doesn't penetrate the cabin well... imagine anything smaller?! yuck!
I was thinking the same thing.. a 6.5" won't produce much sound. I may be buying a powered slim 8" sub for my fiances 2014 Taurus which we opted for the mid range system, which also seems to lack the bass, but we both agree we just want a minimal bump to fill the sound out. If I do, I will probably test the size in the Renegade, as the rear leg/foot room runs under the seats, which doesn't leave alot of space.

I was trying to see how the factory woofer location would work, but I feel I have a unique trunk layout that I cannot find another picture of..

My trunk: (excuse the dog fur everywhere...)

Everyother Renegade trunk picture I have seen:

Anyone have any input on that?

· Registered
7 Posts
Could you post some pictures to get me some ideas, thanks!
Maybe you could find a down-firing shallow box that would house a 12'' (JL Audio is what I will be upgrading to) and have that sit under your bag. Air won't be a problem because the shallow boxes have feet that raise the sub a few inches about the carpet. The only issue you would have is that your bag will not sit totally flat...... I can't stand having satisfactory sound. The extra thump always makes me smile; and it justifies the $$$$ spent...

Attachments

· Registered
83 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.. a 6.5" won't produce much sound. I may be buying a powered slim 8" sub for my fiances 2014 Taurus which we opted for the mid range system, which also seems to lack the bass, but we both agree we just want a minimal bump to fill the sound out. If I do, I will probably test the size in the Renegade, as the rear leg/foot room runs under the seats, which doesn't leave alot of space.

I was trying to see how the factory woofer location would work, but I feel I have a unique trunk layout that I cannot find another picture of..

I have the Uconnect 5" with 6 speakers.

I put some new dash speakers in (Polk 3.5), new front door speakers (kicker 6x9 coaxial) and a kicker hideaway sub (8" powered shallow depth). The sub rounds out the thump and low end really nicely.

It's made to install under a seat but I didn't like the idea of putting it on the floor with the elements and rubber floor mats. So I mounted it behind the last row seating.

I didn't want to lose cargo or expose any wires. I was aiming for "clean/stealth install"

Attachments

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Uconnect 5" with 6 speakers.

I put some new dash speakers in (Polk 3.5), new front door speakers (kicker 6x9 coaxial) and a kicker hideaway sub (8" powered shallow depth). The sub rounds out the thump and low end really nicely.

It's made to install under a seat but I didn't like the idea of putting it on the floor with the elements and rubber floor mats. So I mounted it behind the last row seating.

I didn't want to lose cargo or expose any wires. I was aiming for "clean/stealth install"
How do you like the Kicker? I was looking at the Kicker (most expensive) Kenwood (1/2 the price of Kicker, but also smaller) or SSL (only $99 but don't know the brand, good reviews)

· Registered
83 Posts
How do you like the Kicker? I was looking at the Kicker (most expensive) Kenwood (1/2 the price of Kicker, but also smaller) or SSL (only $99 but don't know the brand, good reviews)

I'm a basshead so i appreciate the thump.
In my other vehicles, I had a solobaric L7...

With the hideaway in the Renegade, I have 0 complaints about the 8" sub.

A lot of the reviews I read on crutchfield, seemed to be people that put the sub in their pickup truck cabs, so i was concerned it might not be able to fill the space of the renegade, but it does. It balances the sound out very well. I'm not rattling rear view mirrors by any means, but it makes me feel like I'm not missing anything.
I went from "hearing" the bass, to "feeling it"

It seems dialed in and balanced, not over-powering (although if you want exaggerated bass, you can simply turn the settings up a bit). Theres also a wired remote with a "bass boost" dial if you want to adjust on the fly.

· Registered
212 Posts

2016 models cargo hold was revised for a bit more room hence the extra crevasses on each side. Just in case you were wondering why yours is different. :)

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
2016 models cargo hold was revised for a bit more room hence the extra crevasses on each side. Just in case you were wondering why yours is different. :)
Interesting to note, since mine is a 2015. I wonder since I have a late build date 2015 (9/15), that I have some of the workings of a 2016 :)

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm a basshead so i appreciate the thump.
In my other vehicles, I had a solobaric L7...

With the hideaway in the Renegade, I have 0 complaints about the 8" sub.

A lot of the reviews I read on crutchfield, seemed to be people that put the sub in their pickup truck cabs, so i was concerned it might not be able to fill the space of the renegade, but it does. It balances the sound out very well. I'm not rattling rear view mirrors by any means, but it makes me feel like I'm not missing anything.
I went from "hearing" the bass, to "feeling it"

It seems dialed in and balanced, not over-powering (although if you want exaggerated bass, you can simply turn the settings up a bit). Theres also a wired remote with a "bass boost" dial if you want to adjust on the fly.
how did you connect the wires for the kicker?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.