Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 4x4 6 Speed Manual Latitude. I do not off road (maybe one day), but I do live in a somewhat hilly location in lower NY.

I got my Jeep in a manual because I think it is way more funner and enjoyable to have and do not regret it.

However, my question is, is a Renegade better as an automatic when doing off-roading or manual? I feel I would burn my clutch using a manual, but will have better control over what I am doing. Then again I feel an automatic will be better when up hill crawling, as having a manual will most likely cause me to stall in some scenarios.

Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone out there who off-road in a manual? Is it better or worse?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone out there who off-road in a manual? Is it better or worse?
I think a manual is better in certain aspects because of the ability to stay in a lower gear. But, most automatics have that manual feature now. So I would think its about the same? I'm no expert though. I haven't owned a manual 4x4 before.

I'd much rather have a manual over a automatic. I do enjoy driving a manual over automatic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't express how upset I am that I got an auto Latitude. FCA claims they will not produce the 4x4 with a 6-speed so I went with what I thought I had to have.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have owned 4 cars (2 VW Scirocco, Opel Kadett, Audi A4 quattro) with MT and 2 with auto (Chevy Celebrity, Buick Century). I generally favor MT by far. However, the better half wants auto and the Trailhawk can't be had with MT, so it looks like an auto is in my future.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you think a test-drive could change her mind? The MT is really smooth - my wife loves it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 4x4 6 Speed Manual Latitude. I do not off road (maybe one day), but I do live in a somewhat hilly location in lower NY.

I got my Jeep in a manual because I think it is way more funner and enjoyable to have and do not regret it.

However, my question is, is a Renegade better as an automatic when doing off-roading or manual? I feel I would burn my clutch using a manual, but will have better control over what I am doing. Then again I feel an automatic will be better when up hill crawling, as having a manual will most likely cause me to stall in some scenarios.

I don't offroad and my clutch already has to be replaced at 6400 miles. I've driven many manuals over the years, logging nearly 500k miles, and never burned one out. The dealer has had the car for more than a week and they aren't being very forthcoming about what's happening with it. And only after I called to find the status I'm told that parts are on back order. You might want to check with others about their experience. I've seen on the boards something about clutch clearance problems due to floor mats but nothing like this. Good luck .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love the 9-speed auto in my TH. No issues with it so far. Autos and Manuals have pros and cons while off-roading. I prefer automatic. Both thr general consensus and my personal opinion is automatic is better for beginners. Although I have seen even experienced crawlers stall out in a manual. My Mustang is a 6-speed manual but my Jeep is Automatic. Go with what you like and have fun driving!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have owned 4 cars (2 VW Scirocco, Opel Kadett, Audi A4 quattro) with MT and 2 with auto (Chevy Celebrity, Buick Century). I generally favor MT by far. However, the better half wants auto and the Trailhawk can't be had with MT, so it looks like an auto is in my future.
I wanted the TW in a MT but there is no way that was happening. I really do enjoy that turbo in my Latitude. I must say, all these comments about MT being more favorable during off roading is reassuring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't offroad and my clutch already has to be replaced at 6400 miles. I've driven many manuals over the years, logging nearly 500k miles, and never burned one out. The dealer has had the car for more than a week and they aren't being very forthcoming about what's happening with it. And only after I called to find the status I'm told that parts are on back order. You might want to check with others about their experience. I've seen on the boards something about clutch clearance problems due to floor mats but nothing like this. Good luck .
Your Renegade has a burnt clutch at 6k miles? That is terrible I am sorry to hear that. Having the clutch replaced stinks. Any chance of them granting them lemon policy?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the 9-speed auto in my TH. No issues with it so far. Autos and Manuals have pros and cons while off-roading. I prefer automatic. Both thr general consensus and my personal opinion is automatic is better for beginners. Although I have seen even experienced crawlers stall out in a manual. My Mustang is a 6-speed manual but my Jeep is Automatic. Go with what you like and have fun driving!
I have had manual my whole life so no doubt about getting my Jeep as one! Even I stalled in my Rene when crawling. Hehe. It isnt so easy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most off roaders prefer a standard who I wheel with.Give a lot more control over the Jeep.In low range stalling and burning the clutch is almost impossible in most Jeeps.I have not been in a renegade standard yet to really compare but in my Wrangler low range you can completely pop the clutch with no gas and it wont stall.For the most part i even end up starting off in 2 or even 3 gear if it flat or a down hill grade because 1st is way to low.Only down fall of the standard is if you follow too close to some one up hill and they decide to come to a dead stop in front of you.All though this can all be different in the renegade depending on gear ratios. my 97 wrangler has 2.5 l engine with 5 speed manual and had 4:11 gears in the rear and 4:10 in the front.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The biggest problem with serious offroading in the Renegade with a manual transmission is the lack of a low range (transfer case). I'm sure that most of the terrain will be fine, but for the really gnarly stuff, 1st gear isn't quite low enough. For really steep stuff, the automatic will have an advantage, especially in Trailhawk trim.

I prefer manual transmission myself (my Challenger is manual) but settled on the automatic because I liked the looks of the Trailhawk even though I don't plan on any really rough off-road adventures.

·
Registered
129 Posts
All good points...its really personal preference. I like my hot rod to be manual and my 4x4 to be auto(my Jeep is also my daily so the auto helps with that)

·
Registered
11 Posts
All though this can all be different in the renegade depending on gear ratios.

I'm coming from a newer Mustang GT with 425+bhp and a 6MT. I've stalled the 1.4L renegade maybe 4 times since I got it as a result off being used to letting the engine do some/most of the work when letting the clutch out to get going. These 1.4L engines are pretty gutless and I'm slowly getting used to letting my right foot be a bit heavier for getting this toaster going, also doing a **** of a lot more downshifting to get up hills haha.

Though I will say, aside from just getting used to driving a slightly underpowered car with the manual, I really do like the 6MT in the renegade. The throws are not too long, shifts smooth, gear spacing when shifting isn't too close so you really have to try to miss a gear, which is refreshing coming from the mustang where 3/5 and 4/6 were pretty close together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
due to FCA selling renegades world wide and the history of supplying brazil with cars that run ethanol as fuel(sugarcane->ethanol main fuel in brazil), i was wondering about the construction of the 1.4 and 1.3 turbos running 100% ethanol? any info on this subject would be appreciated......eventually gas will be replaced, and most of us don't have the income to buy an electric option, ethanol could be the legacy autos only choice. thank you, don't own a renegade yet but plan on buying one soon. rich jacobson nwmontana

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi Rich and welcome.

Before I reply to the topic I must as always voice my thoughts carefully.

Usually the majority of new members introduce themselves in an introductory manner ie Hello guys, I'm new to the forum etc. etc. etc.....

Very few people give an open introductory post that can cause much controversy ie trolling due to the nature of their post but more importantly is the fact that you don't have a Jeep regardless of how soon you may be buying one.

Now please let me reply to your question:

You stated, "eventually gas will be replaced" and I do so agree with you. But I don't think it will be in my lifetime nor yours so fear not and buy a normal Jeep.

The discussion goes that the major oil and gas companies that drill for those commodities and have poured billions of $$$ or £££ into their business are closing down any threat to their profits.

Consider for a minute Water, plain old H2o, convert to Hydrogen? Yeah that can work but why is it so slow in development? I feel that it will be the same with Ethanol just the same as it is in the UK with using "used chip pan oil" in favour of diesel.

Many substances can or are likely to be used as a fuel but for the next few decades imho Bio Fuels will never have a major corner of the market whilst oil and gas are still being pumped.

Please note this is only my option and not intended to create a trolling topic. It was my initial thought to have the post reported but decided that others may have a different view from my own that may assist Rich in their choice.

FCA trying to explain the hype

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Rich and welcome.

Before I reply to the topic I must as always voice my thoughts carefully.

Usually the majority of new members introduce themselves in an introductory manner ie Hello guys, I'm new to the forum etc. etc. etc.....

Very few people give an open introductory post that can cause much controversy ie trolling due to the nature of their post but more importantly is the fact that you don't have a Jeep regardless of how soon you may be buying one.

Now please let me reply to your question:

You stated, "eventually gas will be replaced" and I do so agree with you. But I don't think it will be in my lifetime nor yours so fear not and buy a normal Jeep.

The discussion goes that the major oil and gas companies that drill for those commodities and have poured billions of $$$ or £££ into their business are closing down any threat to their profits.

Consider for a minute Water, plain old H2o, convert to Hydrogen? Yeah that can work but why is it so slow in development? I feel that it will be the same with Ethanol just the same as it is in the UK with using "used chip pan oil" in favour of diesel.

Many substances can or are likely to be used as a fuel but for the next few decades imho Bio Fuels will never have a major corner of the market whilst oil and gas are still being pumped.

Please note this is only my option and not intended to create a trolling topic. It was my initial thought to have the post reported but decided that others may have a different view from my own that may assist Rich in their choice.

FCA trying to explain the hype
thank you puddle-jumper for the swift reply. i have a tendency to "cut to the chase" sorry to be abrupt. we have 10 years of "same as usual" at that point petro/mfg will have destroyed the option of changing, it will be too late. add one hydrogen atom to carbon dioxide and it becomes methanol/ethanol(depending on the catalyst). so our next fuel source is also what is killing us, let's be pro-active. FCA sells cars in brazil, where ethanol is the main fuel source. that is where the "firefly" 1.0L and 1.3L were developed. it would seem to follow that both engines can run on 100% ethanol. fiat has a long history of alchohol fueled cars in italy. the manual/auto question is interesting, i initially tried to get a 6-speed renegade trailhawk(a cost of repair issue). but it had been discontinued for north america somewhere around 2018. thinking through what the trail hawk can do, the auto is necessary for 20:1 drive, hill decent, and other drive options that are "above and beyond". hope i haven't "burned any bridges". thank you once again

·
Registered
3 Posts
afer 5 years of following the renegade intro to n. america finally coughed up the money to get a 2020 renegade trailhawk initially i tried to find a 6-speed having had manuals in every car i have owned. 2% of drivers buy manuals(sad story), and finding a used renegade with a 6-speed is nearly impossible, and the new ones have no manual option. but the computer controlled 9 speed auto allows many options unavailable on a non-computer-controlled manual. i like the option of hill decent, all the drive modes...sand, snow, rock, etc. although many have faulted this transmission, and i agree it is not flawless it is merely a software upgrade to change the gear mapping for those who want 500 madness has a reprogram pack for it, my suggestion would be to ask them for a test drive in a re-mapped unit before you commit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts