Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 brand new TH 9 speed auto. While driving on the highway in cruise control I noticed by rpm was 2150. I shifted into Auto Stick and it read 8th gear so I moved it up to 9th gear and my rpm dropped to about 1900 or 1950 rpm. This way of driving would give me much better gas mileage. Would it be hard on the transmission? Would the transmission shift by itself into a lower gear if needed?

Fran

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just bought a 2019 brand new TH 9 speed auto. While driving on the highway in cruise control I noticed by rpm was 2150. I shifted into Auto Stick and it read 8th gear so I moved it up to 9th gear and my rpm dropped to about 1900 or 1950 rpm. This way of driving would give me much better gas mileage. Would it be hard on the transmission? Would the transmission shift by itself into a lower gear if needed?

Fran
Hi, welcome to the forum. It won't bother the transmission and yes the transmission will automatically drop into a lower gear when necessary. I use the auto stick feature a lot and I enjoy it. I have the 2.4L engine so it appears your rpm's are higher with the new TH 1.3L turbo motor. When my Latitude is in 8th gear at 65mph the rpm's are about 1700-1800. In 9th it drops to around 1500 rpm at 70 mph. I am not sure on the new 1.3L but the 2.4L doesn't stay in 9th that good, you need a flat road with little wind. Maybe the new 1.3L will be better. Good luck with your new TH. We like pictures by the way.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome Fran.

That drop in your revs is similar to what I experience with my manual Renegade when I switch to cruise control in 6th gear. The revs drop and the car purrs like a kitten. Fear not and enjoy that extra reduced consumption. :love:

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

I use the Auto Stick when 'I' am in sport mode. lol

Great for holding a gear when driving in the canyons (very curvy roads).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. It won't bother the transmission and yes the transmission will automatically drop into a lower gear when necessary. I use the auto stick feature a lot and I enjoy it. I have the 2.4L engine so it appears your rpm's are higher with the new TH 1.3L turbo motor. When my Latitude is in 8th gear at 65mph the rpm's are about 1700-1800. In 9th it drops to around 1500 rpm at 70 mph. I am not sure on the new 1.3L but the 2.4L doesn't stay in 9th that good, you need a flat road with little wind. Maybe the new 1.3L will be better. Good luck with your new TH. We like pictures by the way.
RE RPM comparison: Axel ratios are different in the TH than the latitude, so that will contribute to the different RPM as well as the difference between the 1.3 and 2.4l engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts