Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a renegade in the future. When is the projected availability of the 1.4/ 6 speed combo to be on lots?
I am not even remotely interested in one with the auto. Would be in the market for a latitude 4x4 with 1.4/ 6 speed and probably no other options or possibly a similar sport with a few boxes checked.
Also, anyone custom order one yet? If so, what is delivery time? I did order the last jeep I bought (2012 JKU) and had it in about a month even though I put the order in the first week they took orders for that paint color. I would guess with it not being assembled in US, the wait would be a lot longer?

· Registered
499 Posts
Considering a renegade in the future. When is the projected availability of the 1.4/ 6 speed combo to be on lots?
I am not even remotely interested in one with the auto. Would be in the market for a latitude 4x4 with 1.4/ 6 speed and probably no other options or possibly a similar sport with a few boxes checked.
Also, anyone custom order one yet? If so, what is delivery time? I did order the last jeep I bought (2012 JKU) and had it in about a month even though I put the order in the first week they took orders for that paint color. I would guess with it not being assembled in US, the wait would be a lot longer?
Custom orders just opened up in the US a little over a week ago. We're being told it can be up to a 16 week wait.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
. . . I am not even remotely interested in one with the auto. . . .

I wasn't either as I just don't like automatic transmissions. Since there weren't any Renegades available to drive with the manual, I took out a Fiat 500L with the 1.4T and six speed manual. It is similar size and weight to the Renegade.

I was unimpressed. That motor just didn't have the pop that I expected it to have. It moved the car okay, but didn't have the pep that the 2.4 had. The transmission shifted beautifully though.

When I saw a Trailhawk show up at my local dealer, I caved and bought it. The auto (in this car at least) works well. Naturally, the 2.4L doesn't have the power as my 6.4L Challenger, but it is peppy for what it is.

If FCA will mate the 2.4L to the manual transmission for 2016 or 2017, I'll be all over it.

· Registered
13 Posts
I just put a deposit on a manual last week. One is allocated to my dealer and is supposed to arrive on the lot in 3 to 4 weeks. I have the VIN. So, a few are on their way! Dealer said, "there aren't very many, I grabbed two." Dealer also said he had a chance to drive one on the Pacific Coast Highway and it was "super super fun and faster than the automatic."

· Registered
499 Posts
I just put a deposit on a manual last week. One is allocated to my dealer and is supposed to arrive on the lot in 3 to 4 weeks. I have the VIN. So, a few are on their way! Dealer said, "there aren't very many, I grabbed two." Dealer also said he had a chance to drive one on the Pacific Coast Highway and it was "super super fun and faster than the automatic."
Congrats!

To be fair, both versions of the engine/tranny are "super super fun" and I wouldn't really use "faster" in any description of these vehicles - good on your dealer for selling some enthusiasm though :)

· Registered
125 Posts
I wasn't either as I just don't like automatic transmissions. Since there weren't any Renegades available to drive with the manual, I took out a Fiat 500L with the 1.4T and six speed manual. It is similar size and weight to the Renegade.

I was unimpressed. That motor just didn't have the pop that I expected it to have. It moved the car okay, but didn't have the pep that the 2.4 had. The transmission shifted beautifully though.
When comparing the 500L and the Renegade you need to keep in mind the difference in final drive ratio. The 500L has 3.83's while the Renegade has 4.43's. If you are at all familiar with gearing, that's a major difference and should give the Renegade some pep (the Renegade's tires are larger but not enough to offset the gearing difference).

Also, the 500L at 3200lbs is almost 200lbs heavier than the Renegade 4x2. That's a 6% decrease in weight which will definitely add to the fun factor.

The 4x4 Renegade even weighs in 10lbs less than the 500L with the fun factor coming from the 4x4 drivetrain.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No way I would place an order before driving a 4wd 1.4/ 6 speed in the flesh. You can estimate it's pickup, ease of keeping speed etc by driving a 500, but with different gear ratios, wind drag and other factors they will surely act different. And certainly the motors are tuned differently and will peak in different ranges.
My Xb is far from fast, but if you learn how far you have to be in the throttle, it will surprise you with its 1.5l na 108hp and it handles like a gocart.

· Registered
199 Posts
I'm looking for my Wife, but won't touch that auto. I reckon I'll have to wait and see if they mate the 2.4 with the manual on a Trailhawk. Her '09 Escape has been a good vehicle and I don't want to sleep in the doghouse while she screams about that tranny! As for me, I am happily rolling along in my '97 Cherokee.

· Registered
13 Posts
No way I would place an order before driving a 4wd 1.4/ 6 speed in the flesh. You can estimate it's pickup, ease of keeping speed etc by driving a 500, but with different gear ratios, wind drag and other factors they will surely act different. And certainly the motors are tuned differently and will peak in different ranges.
My Xb is far from fast, but if you learn how far you have to be in the throttle, it will surprise you with its 1.5l na 108hp and it handles like a gocart.
I did not place an order, I just put a deposit to hold the vehicle. If it arrives and I don't like it, I get my $500 back and have no obligation to purchase.

· Premium Member
916 Posts
I concur. Which leads me to this..

I did not place an order, I just put a deposit to hold the vehicle. If it arrives and I don't like it, I get my $500 back and have no obligation to purchase.
That is one thing that I've wondered about since reading the topics on the forum. That is good to know.

Allot of the members here are placing custom orders for their dream Renegade and will have to wait quite a few weeks for it to be made and delivered. So putting down a deposit and then wait for the vehicle helps (especially in my case). But this also leads to a few more questions.
1-Hows does this work if one is financing through their financial institution?
2-When it involves a trade in as well, will the above scenarios apply?

One can't be without their daily driver waiting for the golden fleece to arrive from overseas.

Curious to see the answers.

TS

· Registered
146 Posts
When comparing the 500L and the Renegade you need to keep in mind the difference in final drive ratio. The 500L has 3.83's while the Renegade has 4.43's. If you are at all familiar with gearing, that's a major difference and should give the Renegade some pep (the Renegade's tires are larger but not enough to offset the gearing difference).

Also, the 500L at 3200lbs is almost 200lbs heavier than the Renegade 4x2. That's a 6% decrease in weight which will definitely add to the fun factor.

The 4x4 Renegade even weighs in 10lbs less than the 500L with the fun factor coming from the 4x4 drivetrain.
This is why I think the 6-speed Renegade will be just fine.

Lower weight + lower first gear + all wheel drive at 0 to 25mph = significantly better acceleration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.