OVERHEAT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Trailhawk 4x4- Anyone else have an overheat issue? the temp gauges
Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Grille

went to 3/4 and the engine lost power, I was on the freeway and had to pull over. it was a 103 deg day also. so I am looking for ideas for cooling this engine down.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
No problem with ours and we have a 9.5 winch in ours.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
Open up behind the 7 slots? Currently it's only the bottom ⅕ that is actually allowing air in, right?

Edit: Ah, have you already drilled it out a bit?

·
Registered
564 Posts
2018 Trailhawk 4x4- Anyone else have an overheat issue? the temp gauges View attachment 2396354284
went to 3/4 and the engine lost power, I was on the freeway and had to pull over. it was a 103 deg day also. so I am looking for ideas for cooling this engine down.

Thanks
I've run mine in Death Valley Ca. at 120F. without issues and many times at over 105 in the central valley of Ca. for long distances at 65-75mph. I have the 2.4 tiger shark engine and 9spd

·
Registered
2015 Renegade Latitude 2.4
34 Posts
I've had the recall done on our 2015. The electric fan at first would have a minor oscillation in the housing, then it would turn at an abnormaly slow speed, then it wouldn't turn at all. Our dash indicated temp would get as high as 214 before I would turn it off. Wasn't a terrible problem as long as you had air moving through the grill but if you slowed down or were stopped at idle, look out.

I have a hard time believing that 2.4 could ever be worked hard enough to overheat unless the fan wasn't running right. I gotta ask if your fan was.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Did you drill out your slots ? I notice many off-center holes in between the slots that appear to be homemade. The factory honeycomb slots are only opened at the very bottom; the rest of the slot is solid and for show/tradition. If it was to supply more cooling, the factory would have certainly punched out those divots.

Additionally, are you using factory coolant or have you topped it off with a store bought ? You have to be VERY careful in what coolant you use, you can't mix and match with a jug of regular ol' Prestone you bought at WalMart. If you mix different types of coolant, it can actually gel in your system. "Coolant is coolant" does not apply anymore. If you need to just add a tad, use distilled water, not water from the tap. Tap water will mess up your cooling system also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts