Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where else to open a topic on Jeep approved batteries than in here.

The last few weeks have seen many a member complaining about their Jeeps failing to start. Many reasons have been offered and all are admissable.

What therefore do Jeep recommend as the approved battery of choice. A list of all car models will be appreciated by all forum members if anyone can find one. Thanks in advance.

A quick Google search has shown some inconsistencies in pricing from different companies but more unusually the British RAC roadside recovery who want an astronomical amount of £££ to fit an approved 80amp start/stop battery
Jeep Renegade Longitude (2017) Batteries | RAC Shop

A further search at random finds at half the price for the battery ONLY Car Battery - The Best Car Batteries at the Right Price

So what exactly is the battery you are using?

I have just taken this picture of my battery. 70amp start/stop. and it was supplied and fitted by the local Jeep Dealership around 2 years ago.

Though the picture is large it clearly shows a 70amp battery but have a look at the 620a figure as that I believe is my cranking amperage ie the power needed to start the car.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I have replaced the battery in my Renegade twice. The first time it failed was right at the 1 year mark, went to the dealer, and they replaced it with a MOPAR battery.

Two years later, it had failed again. This time I replaced it myself with an OPTIMA Yellow top battery.

Optima Yellow Top H6 Batteries 9048-148

I have had pretty good luck with Optima batteries.

·
Super Moderator
3,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also like the Optima batteries, had 3 of them in my boat. When my battery needs replacing I am planning on putting in an Optima.
I had issues with my boat last year.

Installed this beast and it's ONLY used to start the engine. A smaller one is used for the accessories. Costly? yeah but I don't have the AA or RAC at sea :cry:

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I received one of the cold weather error messages, "Your start stop may not work" or words to that effect. I mentioned it before about the battery in low temperatures. Today in Scotland was a very warm 2 degrees Centigrade (T-shirts off and get a suntan) or 34 fahrenheit for the American members ( We are right tough wee Scotsmen :p:LOL:) I carried on regardless but decided to phone Jeep Service and enquire about a battery guarantee when supplied by them. (3 years)

I was then told that the warranty runs from when you bought the car and not when the battery was fitted. The battery has been in the car for 2 years and now they want £118 plus vat around £150 just to check the battery and flash the cars memory. Then another £150 for a start stop battery combined with fitting costs of around £70 p/hr plus VAT. Thats almost £500. :oops::oops::oops:

Very politely their offer was declined. When asked about using U-Connect and downloadingthe same update I was given the usual Ohhs and Ahhhs that some cars are accepting the downloads and others aren't. Well to me that suggests a lot of BS.

If my alternator is not charging the battery properly then my mate in the garage will fix that quite easily and if it's a new battery then I will fit it myself. If anyone has a wee local garage then use them instead.

Why do Dealership garages think we are willing to pay so much money for a simple job?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the only way to go!
OMFG the cost of that if dollars are almost the same exchange rate as £££s is phenomenal. I thought I was hard pushed using a Motor supplier to give me the 2 batteries above at Company trade price at £96 each. ???

·
Registered
417 Posts
For those selecting an Optima...what are your motivations for choosing the Yellow Top over the Red Top?

I have no Optima experience, but do want an AGM battery as my factory battery replacement. I'd I'm just about due. Probably be buying something in the next few weeks. My brother has had several over the years. He has only gotten average service from the Yellow Top batteries (an OK life span, but average is really not acceptable given the price). But he has had excellent service form the Red Tops.

In real rough terms:

Choices, choices....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dave IMHO the batteries are most likely to come from China or thereabouts as the place of manufacture.

Thereafter when imported any country can label them with anything they like to suggest "made in".

You and I will never know exactly where they came from and therefore can never likely know nor understand the measurements given.

I for one cannot understand the output difference of an Abosrbent Glass Mat battery from a lead acid battery. Oh I know how the cells are formed inside the battery but that doesn't help. Cranking amps I can understand, amps etc.

What concerns me most is the basic construction!!! :eek::oops:

No doubt USA like UK has what we call a British Standard Number that is associated with items. It covers almost everything that can damage our health from couches to electrical plugs.

But what about car batteries??

• How thick is the plastic casing if its an import
  • Condition of electrical components inside the battery
  • Amount of electrolyte
  • Amperage output
  • Cranking voltage. etc etc etc.
I do believe that in life we get what we pay for. Buy cheap and pay for it 3 times or buy once and rest easy.

It may be a rant but I am sure my post will give cause for concern on buying cheap batteries that are offered especially on-line.

Please save yourself a lot of money and buy correctly the first time around even if as dave has intimated that it may cost a little more.

Dave (y)(y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
3,695 Posts
For those selecting an Optima...what are your motivations for choosing the Yellow Top over the Red Top?

I have no Optima experience, but do want an AGM battery as my factory battery replacement. I'd I'm just about due. Probably be buying something in the next few weeks. My brother has had several over the years. He has only gotten average service from the Yellow Top batteries (an OK life span, but average is really not acceptable given the price). But he has had excellent service form the Red Tops.

In real rough terms:

Choices, choices....
The yellow is a deep cycle and is made to be drained down to low volts from lights, winch ect & charge back up with no problems. The red is not!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks Mrsig.

I knew the yellow was a deep cycle/starting battery, Vs. just starting for the red. I was just curious what value that provided.

Sounds like in the right (off-roading) environment with the right equipment, it's the way to go.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So what exactly is the battery you are using?
Though the picture is large it clearly shows a 70amp battery but have a look at the 620a figure as that I believe is my cranking amperage ie the power needed to start the car.
This is the battery fitted to my Trailhawk.
Although it’s the original Mopar, it’s actually an Exide according to fhe label,

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like received a good deal from Dingbro after all. 2 batteries for £192 sweet ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What make, rating model/pn did you buy for 96 quid each? Was that inc vat?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry Ridders for being ignorant and not checking back on my post. That was all inclusive at discounted company rates. Pictures are on the forum, somewhere :cry:

Anyway it gets worse and this is why I spotted an old topic.

I wont elaborate. Flat battery, jump start, 20 mile drive to recharge the battery, still the same 12.4 volts at rest but 14 volts when driving. At least
the alternator works.

Trickle charging for 6 hours has made no difference therefore I will leave it for another 12 hours till daylight if I am brave. (I am quaking in my boots, genuinely)

I need a new battery after 4 years and I cannot deny that was a good "Innings" I had (UK slang for when a cricketer gets a good game).

It looks like a yellow top for me or as near as my outlet can supply me with. (y)(y)(y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts