Jeep Renegade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my battery died. i got a jump start, and all of the check engine, broke transmission, bad parking brake and other lights came on. the transmission clunked pretty bad when i shifted out of park, into either drive or reverse.

despite that, i drove it home. kept it running so the battery would charge. it didn't seem so bad, but i kept it slow. i think 40mph was my max speed. when i got back here, i turned it off and on again, and the problems persisted

i can see if it resolves itself in the morning, but other than hoping for the best, does anyone know what to do after the battery dies to make it right again?

·
Registered
285 Posts
my battery died. i got a jump start, and all of the check engine, broke transmission, bad parking brake and other lights came on. the transmission clunked pretty bad when i shifted out of park, into either drive or reverse.

despite that, i drove it home. kept it running so the battery would charge. it didn't seem so bad, but i kept it slow. i think 40mph was my max speed. when i got back here, i turned it off and on again, and the problems persisted

i can see if it resolves itself in the morning, but other than hoping for the best, does anyone know what to do after the battery dies to make it right again?
I would make sure the battery is fully charged and then disconnect it for at least 45 min. Then reconnect and try again. This should reset the ECU and restore normal operation. It's possible the jump start scrambled the ECU temporarily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i started it up the next morning to run an errand and the transmission didn't clunk, but the service lights stayed on. later in the day the service light went off, and now it seems to be fine, so hope for the best and wait it out was probably enough.

i probably should have let the car run a while to charge up the battery before driving off in the first place (obviously i'm not going to be that patient). sucks that the transmission is tied to the computer so much that a volt drop (my current assumption) would screw it up, but i guess that's how the world works now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why did your battery die in the first place?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think what happened is that i took the car in for an oil change, and when checking lights they turned the parking lights on (there is a push button on the light dial). i thought they turned off with the regular headlights when i turned off the vehicle, so i just left the button pushed. now i think they stay on.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i think what happened is that i took the car in for an oil change, and when checking lights they turned the parking lights on (there is a push button on the light dial). i thought they turned off with the regular headlights when i turned off the vehicle, so i just left the button pushed. now i think they stay on.
That....doesn't sound right. The push button you describe sounds like the foglight button, and they are definitely supposed to turn off when the vehicle turns off. Do you have automatic headlights?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been combing through posts because my renegade has had battery issues twice now. I have about 770 miles and there is NO reason why my battery should be giving me issues (for the second time no less). I've seen quite a few complaints about battery issues throughout this forum. My dealership says I need to bring mine in for an "update" and it seems like other drivers have had to do that as well. I recommend you take it in and let them check. I really hope they get handle on this issue . . .

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
foglights sound right. the 2 white lights at the bottom turned off with the off button. when i got back to the car and found the battery dead it seemed like either the yellow lights on the sides of the headlights, or the red lights on the side of the tail lights, were dimly lit. when the key fob got close and i tried to start it, it really wanted to go. the dials jumped around a lot. kind of acted pretty weird.

i do have automatic headlights, it's set to automatic, and i never turn them on or off or touch anything down there.

if it's not the fog lights, then i don't know what would have been draining power. hopefully it doesn't happen again. maybe this weekend i'll get one of those portable jump starters just in case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was at a meeting today, and when i got out and went to my car, the white rectangle lights in the middle (below the round headlights, above the round fog lights) were on. do lights come on at random? or is there a reason sometimes i see lights on that i did not know i intended to have on?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had this problem earlier this summer, what unlike you I was not able to try my Jeep home. My gear shift was not working I wasn't even able to put it in Drive. It was completely stuck and I even press the break. But now Afters about $1,500 later it's in good working condition LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.