Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have bought a used Renegade a month ago, under warranty till June this year. After a couple weeks getting the papers done, I actually sat in it and tried to drive it. Everything works perfectly, not a single thing is out of order except the damn battery. After maybe a week or so of not driving the Renegade, I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. I checked the voltage and okay, it dropped way too low, about 10.7V, so I charged it, and everything worked okay again. Couple days later, the battery is dead again, completely discharged so I jump started it, drove it home and recharged it again. This time I went to a mechanic to test the battery alone. The battery was at perfect voltage and it's capacity was at 83%. Which I guess is fine. The same thing then happened again. 1 day after charging, the battery emptied completely. Now, the Renegade has seat and steering wheel heaters, but my version of the Renegade has an additional air heater which helps with getting the car warmer if a couple of requirements are fulfilled which are low outside temperature, low coolant temperature, car turned on and so on. So I have tried to retrospectively analyze the situation and the only thing I can think of is the fact that the temperatures where I live were recently -20C (even though the battery emptied at -5C aswell).
The steering wheel and seat heaters were definitely off because they were both cold when I failed to start the car, all the lights were off and everything else I could in sight that could drain the battery was off, however I do not know if that additional heater maybe was left on, which would imply a software problem. Since I hard-checked the battery and it's perfectly fine, could a software problem, which would leave the heater on, combined with a low outside temperature be draining my battery overnight ?
My renegade has a stop/start system and a push-button keyless start. Manual 6 speed, 2.0l engine. Still under warranty as i said, around 20000 km. Battery is Exide 72 Ah, 570A starting current,12V.
I have absolutely not left the key inside the car or left it turned off by the stop/start system(that usually drains the battery and people complain ignorantly). I turned it off by button and brought the key with me. As I said, nothing obvious was left on in the car. I'm starting to think the car was on sale just because of this nonsense.

That's all the information I can provide. I can't think of anything else and I hope someone can provide me some insight into the situation. I have already started the warranty procedure but it's gonna take some time so i'm trying to do whatever I can by myself until then, besides, other people that have written on various forums had similar problems and there were either no fixes at all for their cars or they waited months for the fix.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
You know what method they used to measure capacity? Some of them jsut measure resistance across the cell, which will look fine for a number of actually problematic conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
Yeah that looks healthy enough.

You aren't leaving the key in the vehicle, but are you storing it in your dwelling where the vehicle might be picking it up? Just a thought. Something is staying on, the question is what. I haven't had need to check out the fuse layout, but cracking open the manual and finding out where (if any) the fusible links are and checking them can't hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its at least 30 meters away from the car. I'm pretty sure it's not the key.
Something is definitely staying on, I just can't figure out what, there's so many possibilities, and even if I find out which component it is, I wouldn't be sure what caused it.
Thanks for the fast replies, I will check the fuses in the morning and reply back. Meanwhile if you think of anything else just shoot.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Are you sure the alternator is charging? Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

The next thing to check is a light left on somewhere. Check carefully in the dark next time you turn everything off.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
did u add any mods to it ? lights or lightbar or anything ?

i added a lightbar and didnt wire it the way i should have - and it was draining my battery even switched off

i re wired the lightbar after the dealer told me it was that .. no problems since then !!!

these jeeps are verrrrrrrrry picky with anything electrical hooked up ..

just a thought

·
Registered
260 Posts
A healthy battery does not mean is the proper battery for your vehicle.

When I got my Reni the battery was completely fine but it was too damn small for the specific Jeep. My start n stop was not working and if I left the Jeep without moving it for 4 or more days, it would not start and I had to jump start it. The starting amps of the battery were too low for this battery hungry jeep.

I complained to the dealer, they agreed with me and changed under warranty my battery to a heavy duty one, proper for start n stop cars. Never had a problem since.
Fyi that's the battery they installed: http://www.exide.info/el600

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the fuses and there's nothing wrong.

I am doing the paperwork, I will drop it off eventually but I can't yet since I bought it in a different country so it's a long process, until then, I'm trying to figure out what I can by myself.

The alternator is definitely working, which I concluded simply because the car drove 700 km in one run. Nothing else I think matters, as i said, I charge it fully, I turn it on once, drive it like 1 km, then it sits 6 hours, then I turn it again and drive it about 1 km, it sits overnight and in the morning it's absolutely completely empty the voltage drops to like 10V. Couple km of driving can't empty a car battery, especially renegades, even if there is no alternator at all.

I added nothing to it, it's a stock limited edition.

I know that it doesn't mean its the right battery, however, comparing specifications of that battery you linked, and comparing mine, it's a similar deal, as I have already written it is an exide heavy duty battery Exide 72 Ah, 570A starting current,12V. Besides, the battery can start the car, and drive the car, the problem is that it empties overnight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just have in mind that newer cars, including the Renegade, are based on CAN BUS system.
This means that every about 20 minutes, the system performs a check to see that everything is ok.
If you also have keyless entry, then this consumes battery as well, as the door-handles need to be on standby.

As said, it is a battery-hungry vehicle.

Unless you have an obvious battery drain from somewhere, my guess is that they will change your battery.
And it's better to do that as soon as possible and not jump-start the jeep too many times, because you may damage the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice, however I just don't think door handle standby can drain a 72 Ah battery overnight (which is more than the battery you said they put into your Renegade).
I just don't get it, I guess it leaves me only with warranty replacement.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree. I am just saying that unless there is an obvious battery drain from somewhere, then there must be something wrong with the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. I am just saying that unless there is an obvious battery drain from somewhere, then there must be something wrong with the battery.
My 2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude would die on the packed highway going 60 mph, or die idling at a light. It died at shutoff, and all kinds of electrical nightmares had me frustrated. The liftgate wouldn't shut or the sensor did not sense the gate shut. The vehicle wouldn't start. The brakes wouldn't engage or not disengage. The emergency brake would not release. The accelerator would take off in a burst without me pressing the pedal. A dealership replaced the factory battery with another factory battery twice. First, It was 'oh, a software update, and we won't get you a rental vehicle'. 2nd was 'we dont know, and we won't get you a rental because we think it is a driver issue.' Hmm. They did not know. They were just going to bandaid-fix and stall until my vehicle factory warranty ran out.

This vehicle is a "drive by wire", they said. Thus, the torque pressure dropping per OEM codes the first time? Yes, it was 'dying'. The loss of electricity (voltage ppwer output from the battery) causes this vehicle to 'die'. Why? No way to know. But for battery to go through that on a new vehicle is highly unusual. Recall, drive by wire? That means: press brake eats battery power, press accelerator eats battery power, use electric brake eats battery power, sensors, lights, radio, etc., electronics, accelerating quickly, braking suddenly, or idling with the lights on for quite some time.... These activities ALL eat the battery power before the alternator can restore the battery power. So, how do you keep the battery power from being sucked out and leaving an undercharged battery? You need about 12.4 volts to 14.8 volts to start this vehicle.

After talking to many experienced Jeep owners and reading online and trial testing, ...

I replaced the weak factory battery--which was still under warranty but ineffective at keeping my vehicle safe and operable--with a glass mat (AGM) battery. The glass mat battery is a more powerful, hardy, higher output capacity while retaining voltage.

Plus, I turn OFF ×ALL× automatic bells, whistles, lamps, interior lights, deck lights, automatic headlights, and leave nothing plugged in.

I also purchased, as backup power restoration (if ever needed), a solar power teickle charger, a wall plugin battery charger, multimeter, the factory service manual, testing equipment, OEM tool to read OEM codes myself for a few weeks myself if ever things go awry.

Pepboys installed the glass mat battery with a 4 year warranty replacement no qiestions asked. $250 plus tax.

I haven't had a problem since. Most mornings I see the voltage is about 12.4-13.2 volts. Depends on the temp, how much I drove the day before, and how long since I drove. When I start the vehicle, I wait until the dash voltmeter reads 14.8 volts (which means the engine has kicked in enough and will now restore battery power, within reason). Use discernment. You should still not go around driving this vehicle like it is a racecar. Recall, that will eat your battery. Drive by wire, remember!

I recommend AGM glass mat batteries for Jeep vehicles. I recommend having a few power restoration tools in your toolshed, too. Plus, a repair manual specific to your Jeep. They send these on USB now, just so you know.

I am not a professional repair person nor a mechanic. But, with analysis, and trying to get to know my vehicle, and knowing low voltage, this woman has resolved her vehicle problem herself.

My Jeep is reliable and safe once more.

Is your vehicle behaving like it has it's own mind? It might be browning out. Get a better battery first. Then sue Jeep for restitution via the Transportation Safety Board in your state via lemon laws, if you can.

I am not an attorney.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts