Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Can you please post here the battery specs of your Reni?
I would like to see the battery specs of the 1.4 Petrol owners, just to compare with mine.

My battery is a Mopar Exide, 12V, 63Ah, 450A.

My belief is that this battery is too small for a car with a start 'n stop feature.

The reason I am asking is because I only own my Reni for about 1,5 months and my battery is dead. I had to jump start the car twice and today I took the car to the dealer to see what the problem is.
After they inspected the car thoroughly they told me that it is just a bad battery. There is no any other problem with the car whatsoever, no electric leak, not the fault of my car alarm draining the battery etc.
They will order the new battery and replace the faulty one tomorrow morning.

I discussed a little bit with the electrician and expressed my concerns as to the following:

i) That the car should have a "stronger" battery with more Ah and especially more Ambers (the ambers are the ones that are used when starting the vehicle). He said that he will look into it but this is the correct battery according to the VIN of the car and the maker...
ii) Why did my battery die after only 1,5 months? He said that sometimes there is a chance that the battery comes faulty from the factory. Another reason maybe that my car was not ordered and came straight from the factory (i.e. I did not have to wait 3-4 months to get it), but was ready for purchase and delivery. And it may have been sitting in the lot for some time without been used, and so the status of the battery may have deteriorated.

In any case they will change my battery with a new one under warranty.

But I am more concerned and I want to make sure that this will not happen again. This is why I would like to see the specs of your batteries (1.4 petrol) to compare to mine.

Thanx in advance.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, just for the record, I took the car back to the dealer yesterday and complained about the battery problems. They checked my battery and confirmed that it is a bad one and they will replace it under warranty. At first they told me that the specs of the battery are correct for this car, but I insisted that they investigate further (because 450A are too low for a start n stop Jeep), and today that I got delivery of my Reni they have installed a very big battery. 640A and 60ah ! It is a battery specific for start n stop cars (its says so on the sticker). The type is Exide which is very good and it fits perfectly on the plastic plate that it sits on (whilst my previous one was much smaller than this plastic plate).

The dealer's electrician also told me that he thoroughly checked the car and there was no electric leak from any other part (including the car alarm) whatsoever.

I got the car back and it is fantastic. My start n stop works from the first 100 meters (whilst in the past it was rarely working). I feel much safer now and hope that's the end of it.

I just can't understand why my Reni was delivered like that (i.e. with a small and problematic battery...)

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lakadazikal.
To be honest I have done my homework researching a lot about renegades, (also consulted a friend who is car electrician) so the complaint I made was quite detailed.
The dealer understood that I was very informed so he had to look deeper into the matter.

Reactions: twospirits

· Registered
1,613 Posts
My start n stop works from the first 100 meters (whilst in the past it was rarely working). I feel much safer now and hope that's the end of it.
I thought stop start was not supposed to work until the engine was warm.Mine does not.

Not that it matters. I play with it occasionally but am not a fan.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought stop start was not supposed to work until the engine was warm.Mine does not.

Not that it matters. I play with it occasionally but am not a fan.
I thought so too, but now with the new strong Start n Stop specs battery, it works even if the car has not yet reached the proper temp.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Nice job. I wonder how the dealer justified the charges for an upgraded battery for a Renegade.

My Kia had Start/Stop. It too had a bigger AGM battery and several beefier parts like the starter, a transmission oil pump, and a few other things.

Perhaps the S/S Renegade has a few parts variations too (like a different battery than other Renes, though still small)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.