Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my Renegade Sport 4X4 small block manual for about 3 weeks now, with a little over 500 miles. After I picked up the Jeep in Red Bluff, drove it home 170 miles, and shut it off I could hear the battery actually outgassing/hissing when I opened the hood!

Since I've had it, the battery/charging voltage consistently reads 14.8 volts. I noticed a couple of times when the a/c fan would slow, and sure enough, when I checked, charging voltage was a normal 14.0 volts.

Anyone got a similar voltage reading on their Renegade? I'm thinking I have a faulty alternator/regulator (assuming its built into the alternator)...LOVE my Renegade though!
Scott
Klamath Falls, OR

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yeah, 14.8 seems high, but mine displays the same voltage. I checked it with my accurate Fluke 87V and it reads 14.4 V at the battery which is closer to what I would expect.

The only time you will have to "worry" is if the 14.8 V reading changes. My battery reads 12.4 V with the engine off, so if the computer displays 12.8 V, I know the alternator is not charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
86,000 on my 2015 Renegade and I've started watching the voltage. Shows 14.8 most of the time. Does dip to 14.0 occasionally and I use my AC alot. If it drops into the 13teens I'll be ready with an alternator on hand.

On another note, we are all aware of the radiator fan issues with the Renegade so be mindful of that and how an exhausted fan motor that has drag could pull your voltage down. I've replaced mine twice. Once at 40,000 with an aftermarket one from 1A auto.com and another time from the dealership per the recall at around 65,000. Good thing is 1A auto sent a replacement so now I have a radiator fan on hand.

I slightly over fill my coolant reservoir in an attempt to circulate more fluid. Engine temps range from 190-216 degrees which I think is a wide range so I do whatever I can to keep an eye on things.

Transmission temps when running 80mph in hot weather can get as high as 171 degrees. I'm about to flush the tranny fluid so we'll see. I'd like to keep things 160 or below. Probably will slightly overfill it too to circulate more fluid.

Yes, I also do this with my oil using about 5.75 quarts.

Don't worry I know the dangers of overfilling. I do all my own work so I'll only be calling myself :).

Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So I've had my Renegade Sport 4X4 small block manual for about 3 weeks now, with a little over 500 miles. After I picked up the Jeep in Red Bluff, drove it home 170 miles, and shut it off I could hear the battery actually outgassing/hissing when I opened the hood!

Since I've had it, the battery/charging voltage consistently reads 14.8 volts. I noticed a couple of times when the a/c fan would slow, and sure enough, when I checked, charging voltage was a normal 14.0 volts.

Anyone got a similar voltage reading on their Renegade? I'm thinking I have a faulty alternator/regulator (assuming its built into the alternator)...LOVE my Renegade though!
Scott
Klamath Falls, OR
normal 14.8, roughly 12.3 shut off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.