Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed my 2015 latitude had a high voltage reading. Happened to look on the display screen when going to check my tire pressure and noticed that the voltage was reading 15.6v. Seemed odd because it’s normally at 14.8v. It has gotten colder and thought that it would go back to 14.8v. the only time I saw go back down to 14.8v while the engine was on was when I turned on the headlights. When the engine was off it read 12.4v. Is this an issue that I should take to the mechanic?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes, it is an issue.
Anything more then the 14.8v is very hard on the computer systems (more than 1 computer) and their modules (more than 40 modules).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Any idea how old your battery is? Just wondering if it's maxing out on voltage trying to charge a near-dead battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is an issue.
Anything more then the 14.8v is very hard on the computer systems (more than 1 computer) and their modules (more than 40 modules).
It was at 15.6v until I drove home after work and it stayed at 14.8v the entire 20 minutes home. I’m not sure if it was a fluke or a short and if it’s something I should get checked right away or wait to see if it continues to go back to 15.6v

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
812 Posts
I would trust the display's voltage indication about as much as I trust the fuel indicator 'Range' estimate. It should be read with a legitimate voltmeter. If you don't have the capacity to do that yourself, then I would have it looked at. I agree that 15.6 volts should be investigated. It could be something wrong with the voltage regulator. I'd also check that the battery terminals are tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would trust the display's voltage indication about as much as I trust the fuel indicator 'Range' estimate. It should be read with a legitimate voltmeter. If you don't have the capacity to do that yourself, then I would have it looked at. I agree that 15.6 volts should be investigated. It could be something wrong with the voltage regulator. I'd also check that the battery terminals are tight.
I’ll double check the terminals today, I did have the negative terminal clamp replaced when I got the new battery and I’ll probably swing by the auto store and pick up a volt meter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I stopped by Autozone and they tested it for me. Battery was sitting at 12.3v with engine off and was at 14.7v engine on. Even though the volt meter was reading 14.7v, the battery voltage display was still reading 15.6v. Is this a sensor malfunction?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
812 Posts
"Malfunction": as in functioning poorly -yes. Probably within the tolerances that FCA designed it to - and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to have to compare mine now....this has me curious.
As of yesterday, it looks like it only reads 15.6v in the morning and goes back to 14.8v in the afternoon? Could it be because of the cold weather? Gets to about 30 degrees F at night. Didn’t think that was cold enough to cause something like that but it’s just a guess.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Couldn't find that read out yesterday while driving. Just had to go back and re-read that section of the owner manual to find it. I'll give it at the beginning and end of tomorrow's commute.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I just got this battery last month, I’ll have to check the date when I get back home.
Please keep in mind that new batteries don't always mean fully charged nor working.

I had a similar issue but the battery in my Renegade Longitude 2.0l 4x4 was flat after a couple of weeks on the driveway.

Replaced with a new battery and again within 2 weeks a totally dead battery.

From your post I understand that you have high voltage hence the comparison but in my case Jeep asked me to bring the car in by their Tow Company.

An update to the software was installed and the car has never failed in 2 1/2 years.

Could an update be required for you? Give Jeep a phone call.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Couldn't find that read out yesterday while driving. Just had to go back and re-read that section of the owner manual to find it. I'll give it at the beginning and end of tomorrow's commute.
Ok, a little late reporting in, but I have yet to check mine that it is not at a steady 14.8V. I don't watch it religiously, so this may vary at times, but for the most part, that's it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I look at that voltage reading as a guesstimate, not a true reading. Reason being is that mine has never changed from 14.8. Never. Not a drop of even 1/10 of a volt for a second or two ? Dead nuts-on 14.8 always ? But I'm sure it'll read low when the battery is dead. But you'll already know that from the low "whirr-whirr-whirr" sound of your Jeep not starting....

I use a Fluke multi-meter for readings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s been 2 weeks since this first started happening and it really only shows 15.6v on cold mornings. Checked with my voltmeter multiple times and battery reads 12.6v when engine off and 14.6v with engine on. I’ve since stopped look at voltage meter from my dash display

1 - 16 of 16 Posts