Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ya'll. Just picked up my Renegade 75th Edition. As with all my vehicles I'm upgrading my stereo. I've read most of the threads on the topic and just thought I'd give my 2 quick cents.

You can easily remove the 6.5" sub with little effort. After removing the plastic grill, you have access to 3 of the 4 screws. If you stick your fingers up under the plastic to feel the 4th screw and eyeball drill a small hole through the plastic to get access to the head, you can easily take it out. Pull the speaker out carefully and disconnect leads. So what about the small drilled hole?......Apparently the best part about this Beats system is the little "b" emblem which can easily be placed over the hole since its soft adhesive. Where as I am anal about doing things the right way, I found this to be an acceptable shortcut given the PIA it is to remove all that plastic. I'll be installing a new sub soon. Still shopping......Hope this helps and if it's already posted I apologize.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I hope that fixes some of the issues...but by the accounts of many, the speaker quality is just one issue! The crossover freq that FCA/Beats sends to each speaker is the other and perhaps more serious issue. However, I will be excited to hear how much improvement you get from replacing speakers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Im swaping my 6,5" driver for a Kicker 6,5" beginning of next week, will post full picture of the subwoofer from every angel and inside the box and the driver and connections! Will be about monday/tuseday when I do it.
thank you

·
Registered
261 Posts
For the Kicker 40CWRT672 6.5 inch (advertised as 6.75 inch but its 6.5 inch) it has push down post terminals on the back (see pic) so I just used made up some adaptors..male spade terminal on end, bare wire the other for fitting to the kicker terminals so no need to alter the factor female spade terminals.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
drill a small hole through the plastic to get access to the head, you can easily take it out. Pull the speaker out carefully and disconnect leads. So what about the small drilled hole?......Apparently the best part about this Beats system is the little "b" emblem which can easily be placed over the hole since its soft adhesive.
Enjoy!!
by the way..neat idea drilling the hole then covering with the Beats emblem. I got the factory sub out OK with the help of some Japanese extra shallow right angled screwdrivers, but found the Kicker sub had (much) bigger magnets so had to partially remove the panelling to pull it back sufficiently to get the new sub in. Keep posting on how you get on.

·
Registered
715 Posts
For the Kicker 40CWRT672 6.5 inch (advertised as 6.75 inch but its 6.5 inch) it has push down post terminals on the back (see pic) so I just used made up some adaptors..male spade terminal on end, bare wire the other for fitting to the kicker terminals so no need to alter the factor female spade terminals.

VERY NICE!!

I just talked to crutchfield, they said its too deep to fit, let them know someone already fit it! No issues of the depth of the magnet correct? I see you have a 2016, hopefully my 2015 has the same dimensions :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
nice
thank you for the pics
so how does it sound?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm waiting on the same Kicker sub, should be here Wednesday. Interested to hear how you like yours and if the factory amp pushes it enough.

I installed new door speakers today. JBL GX963 6x9's and tweeters from the JBL GX600c component set. The 3.5's are on order and should be here Wednesday with the sub.

So far, it's an improvement but the front dash speakers and sub should bring it to life.

·
Registered
261 Posts
it sounds much better than the factory sub, but there is still the issue that the amp doesn't seem to be sending the range bass frequencies to the sub as I would expect. So still the issue that hip hop/rap type music sounds good with its ultra low sub sounds, but rock music is still missing something. I still have to swap out the dash speakers so hoping these will make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I still have to swap out the dash speakers so hoping these will make the biggest difference.
This was the 1st thing I did and it was terrific. I usually keep my volume around 24-27 with my top open and it sounds very nice. I listen to hip hop, but replace rock with drum & bass. I figured the sub would help round it out for easy replacement components.

I don't feel much like pulling my door panels apart when I know that breaking multiple clips when pulling the fenders off was basically mandatory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds much better than the factory sub, but there is still the issue that the amp doesn't seem to be sending the range bass frequencies to the sub as I would expect. So still the issue that hip hop/rap type music sounds good with its ultra low sub sounds, but rock music is still missing something. I still have to swap out the dash speakers so hoping these will make the biggest difference.
This was the 1st thing I did and it was terrific. I usually keep my volume around 24-27 with my top open and it sounds very nice. I listen to hip hop, but replace rock with drum & bass. I figured the sub would help round it out for easy replacement components.

I don't feel much like pulling my door panels apart when I know that breaking multiple clips when pulling the fenders off was basically mandatory.
RedX is right. I recently replaced my factory sub with a Kicker 40CWRT672 also. Here is a link of it playing a rap/hip-hop song where there's a noticeable difference from factory. I also swapped out my dash speakers for some Infinity Refs and those also sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQ-cejNpLY

I helped my buddy, who also has a Renegade, do his door speakers the other day. It wasn't so bad. We didn't break anything :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RedX......So you have or have not swapped your door 6x9's? I swapped those first since I ran into the speakers I wanted at a local Best Buy and was too impatient to wait. If you haven't done that yet, it should definitely help you find that mid-bass/midrange you are looking for.

Side note.......after two days of driving around and evaluating any improvement I hear, I think my biggest "gain" is not having to max my volume out at 38. Having to do that before drove me crazy........No stereo amplified speaker setup should require maxing out the system to accomplish an appropriate loudness. After I swap the dash 3.5's it should help even more since that's where all the front sound comes from mostly.

My upgrading tweeters are a bit overbearing since they are directly over my shoulder behind my ear. Hopefully the EQ will have more of an effect once I get the 3.5's in place.

Things are improving for this 9-speaker owner but I'm still pissed that I'm paying $500 for a system I technically already paid for.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RedX......So you have or have not swapped your door 6x9's? I swapped those first since I ran into the speakers I wanted at a local Best Buy and was too impatient to wait. If you haven't done that yet, it should definitely help you find that mid-bass/midrange you are looking for.

Things are improving for this 9-speaker owner but I'm still pissed that I'm paying $500 for a system I technically already paid for.
I've done the door 6*9's...gave some improvement but not as much as I wanted...so hoping the dash replacements on top of the sub plus 6*9's will make it easier to listen to (just waiting on the wiring adaptors).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.