Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried them all but finally tried a magnetic mount. This is the MagicMount Dash. I trimmed the base to 1" square and used a red 3M VHB sticky pad to improve the adhesion. I stuck the large metal plate to the inside of the thin black case for my iphone 6S Plus. Its largeness lends to greater weight and leverage to shake off. But the regular version MagicMount holds it without movement for me over the roughest of roads. A Pro version has 30% stronger neo magnets. I like it as the black magnet is NOT the first thing you see in the car. Its nice and hidden. Just slap the phone on it and it sticks. And its held off the vents so it doesn't block. You can also reach the phone's side buttons in horizontal or vertical. It hasn't affected the phone's compass or other functions. And the phone is nice and high for Maps and cell reception. So basically, it looks like it was made for the 1" area between the vents, is stuck on forever, is highly articulated, locks down better than the metal ball magnet mounts, and can place/retrieve your phone with one hand. Glad I read the other posts here and can confirm its good for the Renegade. Pics:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I've left the phone on this arm for 3 days and the sticky has finally let go. Oddly, the phone and magnet stayed together when it finally fell. :)

I've always been an advocate for a mechanical-hold over glues and tapes for permanent installations. I think I will look into using a single flat-head screw down the center of the cup for a mechanical hold to the center of the vents. But I suggest letting me experiment before I or you do any drilling.

I have some scrap trim here and will try a few more tapes or glues before i do drilling.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And just one more thing so I can get some sleep:

The armrest's low-power USB charger (2.5 whatever) has the cord running from there to the vent. The span lays across the gear shift and thats a PIA. So I'm using my higher power (5 whatever) USB cig lighter plug-in to run the 3' cord up to the vent area to the phone. Faster charge and out of the way cord.

Just something you don't think about. This is all just FYI for newbs.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome AnDo711. I'll have to look at that location. My 6Plus sticks of over the dash and I know cops look for screens that are on when the pass you. Seeing if we're watching Netflix or whatnot. Reachability is my issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome AnDo711. I'll have to look at that location. My 6Plus sticks of over the dash and I know cops look for screens that are on when the pass you. Seeing if we're watching Netflix or whatnot. Reachability is my issue.
True. Also, I can only have the phone in vertical position though but it doesn't bother me much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.