Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds dumb but I've only had the car 3 weeks. It's a 2016 Latitude with manual transmission and a key to start. Sometimes when I go to start the car it won't turn over. Is it best to take it out of gear, put foot on brake and gas then turn the key?

·
Registered
140 Posts
This sounds dumb but I've only had the car 3 weeks. It's a 2016 Latitude with manual transmission and a key to start. Sometimes when I go to start the car it won't turn over. Is it best to take it out of gear, put foot on brake and gas then turn the key?
Not sure why'd you have to put your foot on the gas to start it.

I know all the auto's require your foot to be on the brake pedal before they will fire though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For Renis with MANUAL TRANSMISSION you need to have the CLUTCH pressed when turning the key. THE CLUTCH.

The most correct procedure is the following:

1) Get inside the car and turn the key to ON (not all the way to start the car. Just to open the dash lights etc.)
2) Leave it like that for 5-6 seconds till all the checks are done (most of the indicator lights turn off) and the oil pump has the time to fill up the oil circuit. This will also protect your engine from starting dry.
3) Press on the CLUTCH all the way and keep it pressed whilst turning the key to start the engine.
4) When the engine starts, release the clutch.

Reactions: Gaelmart

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My previous post is incorrect, as I missed some text out. Below is the post that I should have said:

That is how I start mine (2015 UK model 1.4 turbo 6sp manual) except I do not have to press the accelerator (gas) pedal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If key wont turn over, is not because clutch,brake or gas, it is because steering wheel is locked. Try to move a little bit steering wheel left-right, while turning the key.
Regarding pedals - at ignition only clutch should be pressed, or nothing if transmission is in neutral.
On older models, when starting was problem, we pressed gas 3 times, before starting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even if transmission is in neutral (I refer to manual transmission), you still have to keep the clutch pressed while turning the key for the engine to start. That's how it's done in the Renegade with M/T.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Almost all M/T vehicles have a clutch-neutral safety switch, so you must have the clutch to the floor to start...similar to ta Park-Neutral safety switch in an automatic, that will only let you start in Park or Neutral... Also, in referecne to madvinegar's comment about "priming the oil pump", I would look into that... Most vehicles have an electric FUEL pump that is primed when you first turn the key (you can hear it usually)...but most vehicles are still using mechanical oil pumps, which wouldn't prime until you actually turned the engine over... Not **** talking, just wondering if Madvinegar might know something we dont...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Even if transmission is in neutral (I refer to manual transmission), you still have to keep the clutch pressed while turning the key for the engine to start. That's how it's done in the Renegade with M/T.
Sorry,didn't knew. Now I'm on AT and previus MT cars I drove didn't have that safety control. Even new company cars with MT I sometimes drive (Renault and Skoda) can start in neutral without clutch.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sorry,didn't knew. Now I'm on AT and previus MT cars I drove didn't have that safety control. Even new company cars with MT I sometimes drive (Renault and Skoda) can start in neutral without clutch.
I believe the clutch interlock may be a required safety feature in N. America. The last car I had that didn't have one was from 1982.

I'm also interested to hear more on the oil pump priming. I used to have to leave the key in ON for several seconds in my '05 Sentra Spec V to prime the fuel system, but that was a known issue on those cars. Being accustomed to mechanical oil pumps, it never occurred to me that holding it in ON briefly before starting would do any good, but if the oil pump is electric, I can see how it would.

Can anyone shed any more light on this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the keyless entry.
I could (if I wanted to) get into the car, press the clutch and push the start button immediately. This would start the engine immediately but I never do that.

What I do is the following:

1) I just press the start button without pressing the clutch. I hear an electrical buzzing (I cannot explain it better) which seems like it's the pumps (both fuel and oil) filling up the system. Also I wait for my dash to show all the necessary info (the fuel and temperature bars, the needles in the speedometer and rev-meter to do their round up etc).
2) I then press the clutch and the start-button (again) and the engine starts.

I always do that with all my cars especially when the weather is cold or the car has been idle/cold for some time.
Do that to protect your engine from starting dry (oil-wise). This also helps the car to start faster (and does not overwork the starter) as the fuel circuit is already filled up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just looked up this diagram of the oil pump in a 1.4 MultiAir:

Looks mechanical to me. The only pump that's likely to run when you are holding the key to ON before starting is the fuel pump. The oil pump typically does not run until the engine starts to crank over.

Electric pumps are rarely (if ever) used for oil, as the potential for failure is too great. A bad motor or connection could rapidly starve the engine of oil, resulting in severe damage.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It does look mechanical. You may be right. I was thinking that since the Renegade is extremely electronical, they would have also introduced a system that the oil pump distributes oil just before starting the engine. (in race cars they do it like that) :D
The fuel pump does that for sure though.

So, even if it's just for the fuel pump, it's worth to wait 4-5 seconds before actually starting the engine, especially when the weather in cold or the car has remained idle for some time.

At least, that's my suggestion.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So, even if it's just for the fuel pump, it's worth to wait 4-5 seconds before actually starting the engine, especially when the weather in cold or the car has remained idle for some time.

At least, that's my suggestion.
In those situations, I agree it does make sense to give the fuel pump a few seconds to prime the system. It certainly won't hurt anything. Most FI systems are quite good at holding the pressure. (MOST, not the one on my aforementioned Sentra.) In normal usage, so long as everything's working right and the engine fires on the first crank or two, it's probably not necessary to let the pump run. But again, it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Been out in mine. My Renegade will start in neutral without having to press the clutch pedal down.
That's interesting. Perhaps that clutch interlock is another one of those unusual safety regulations that we have in the US. Like I said, the only car I've ever had without it was a 1982 Datsun 200SX.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.