Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting into cycling, and I need some way to transport a bike on the Renegade. I've got the Latitude 2.4L engine but do not have a tow hitch. Just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on either going with the roof or tow hitch route for the bike mount. Let me know your thoughts please.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I prefer a bike carrier off the back hitch. But that is just what I've always done & don't want to have to worry about getting something on & off the top of my car constantly. Maybe someone that has done both may have better input..... Not so worried about it blocking the camera when I get the new vehicle, because I've never had one before, so can go without it while carrying bikes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the preference on location depends on the person and the type of bike they have. If you have a really expensive bike, it is probably safer to store it on the roof incase you were to get rear ended, your bike is safe. Of course you now have to remember how tall your vehicle is when going in things like drive thru's and garages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So am I right by saying that it is easier to load/unload from the back but more expensive as far as equipment goes? I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons and figure out what is a better fit for me. I am also unsure of what all I would need for each option. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out by giving me a list of parts I would need to purchase for roof vs back.

My criteria includes the following (most to least important):

Affordability
Ease of loading and unloading
Ease of installation

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
891 Posts
My criteria includes the following (most to least important):

Affordability
Ease of loading and unloading
Ease of installation
With that criteria, you will be looking at a roof rack system or a simple strap-on rear mounted system. If you don't have a hitch receiver then a hitch-mount rack option will be both most expensive and hardest to install.

I use Thule racks. I have both hitch-mount and roof racks for different vehicles (both for the Renegade). I prefer the hitch-mount for ease of loading/unloading. Go to www.thule.com or http://www.rackattack.com/ to see some of your options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that criteria, you will be looking at a roof rack system or a simple strap-on rear mounted system. If you don't have a hitch receiver then a hitch-mount rack option will be both most expensive and hardest to install.

I use Thule racks. I have both hitch-mount and roof racks for different vehicles (both for the Renegade). I prefer the hitch-mount for ease of loading/unloading. Go to www.thule.com or http://www.rackattack.com/ to see some of your options.
I figured as much. I would like a hitch at some point, but right now it's starting to look like roof. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending on what you end up getting, check Craig's list..... People are always getting rid of things they don't use & many times it is brand/almost brand new...
I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the input! I didn't even think to check Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I prefer to put my bike(s) in the back. I fold down the left side, remove the front wheel, and lean the bike over on the edge of the upright right side.

I have a 56cm lightweight road bike, so if you have one taller, you may have to lean it more, fold down both sides, or take off both wheels. A mountain bike may be tougher to stuff in there, but someone on this site has done it. If you don't have a spare tire, you can lower the cargo floor for a couple extra inches clearance.

I also purchased a set of cross-bars (Wispbar from Yakima) and a roof-top bike carrier, but I haven't had the need to use it yet. I have a plastic folding step stool to make it easier to get the bike on and off the roof when I use the bike carrier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I prefer to put my bike(s) in the back. I fold down the left side, remove the front wheel, and lean the bike over on the edge of the upright right side.

I have a 56cm lightweight road bike, so if you have one taller, you may have to lean it more, fold down both sides, or take off both wheels. A mountain bike may be tougher to stuff in there, but someone on this site has done it. If you don't have a spare tire, you can lower the cargo floor for a couple extra inches clearance.

I also purchased a set of cross-bars (Wispbar from Yakima) and a roof-top bike carrier, but I haven't had the need to use it yet. I have a plastic folding step stool to make it easier to get the bike on and off the roof when I use the bike carrier.

ditto. I normally carry mine in my truck but in bad weather I carry it inside my renegade. I have an 18" mtb with 27.5 wheels and all I have to do is drop back seat, pull the front wheel and seat post and it fits fine. you can leave the seat post on if you want to lay it over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.