Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally getting to test drive a Renegade yesterday, I gotta say the thing I didn't like the most out of the few things, is the the visibility is extremely limited on the Renegade. The front is hard to see out of due to the massive rear view mirror housing, and the back is just straight up terrible. I've been thinking maybe the $600 for the Safety/Security Pack would be helpful for the blind spot/ cross path (and a security alarm for pete sakes, what's up with that not being standard?).

My question is has anyone used a Blind Spot/Cross Path in a vehicle before? Is it worth it? I'm not used to having such terrible visibility.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My current car (not the Renegade) has Blind Spot monitoring. I think it should be standard in every vehicle. I think the system starts to work from 10 km/h on this Jeep. In other brands like BMW, it starts at 30 km/h which is a no sense.
What I'm sure is I will get this system in every vehicle I own from now, so I'll get it when I can order my Renegade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After finally getting to test drive a Renegade yesterday, I gotta say the thing I didn't like the most out of the few things, is the the visibility is extremely limited on the Renegade. The front is hard to see out of due to the massive rear view mirror housing, and the back is just straight up terrible. I've been thinking maybe the $600 for the Safety/Security Pack would be helpful for the blind spot/ cross path (and a security alarm for pete sakes, what's up with that not being standard?).

My question is has anyone used a Blind Spot/Cross Path in a vehicle before? Is it worth it? I'm not used to having such terrible visibility.
That's too bad. Visibility is one of the most important things, and could sway my decision away from Renegade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's too bad. Visibility is one of the most important things, and could sway my decision away from Renegade.
Well of course I don't want to turn anyone away from the Renegade, but if visibility is a problem for you, it's definitely something to consider before purchasing the Renegade. It's unfortunate how bad it is. All the pillars of the car are huge. That being said it's still adequate enough for driving, but I believe the Blind Spot/Cross Path is a must for this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I test drove a Sport 4x4 and didn't have any problem with visibility. With properly adjusted mirrors and a turn of the head, I could see everything I needed to. But I'm used to continuously scanning the area around my vehicle (car or motorcycle) whether there is traffic or not.

I'm not getting any of the blind spot monitoring stuff. You might get false alarms in heavy traffic which may lead one to ignore the warnings after a while.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I test drove a Sport 4x4 and didn't have any problem with visibility. With properly adjusted mirrors and a turn of the head, I could see everything I needed to. But I'm used to continuously scanning the area around my vehicle (car or motorcycle) whether there is traffic or not.

I'm not getting any of the blind spot monitoring stuff. You might get false alarms in heavy traffic which may lead one to ignore the warnings after a while.
Yeah. I feel the same way. I wouldn't fool around with the monitoring stuff. That just causes problem. Take your time, look around, use your mirrors and observe your surrounding. All cars have blind spot regardless some smaller than other but you can't get away from that. Being aware of your surrounding at all time is the key to not getting into an accident.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I assure you that that system doesn't give any false warning, no matter how the traffic is, at least on my Land Rover, it's simply amazing. I don't know about the Renegade but I'm sure it will work perfectly too.

I can understand the fear of people who never tried it before, but trust me, you don't have to worry about it at all. I'll never get a car again without that system. I'm even warned about the incoming cars at fast speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It does work really well in the Jeep Products from my experience.

I took the Renegade out the other day and didn't notice the blind spots. I'll have to take a closer look. I do like the view out the windshield, seems like it's wide with plenty of visibility out the front.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Part of it is a height/build/seat position thing. Lots of people have issues in vehicles that I wouldn't, and vise versa.

FWIW, I have no issues at 6'2" tall and 200 lbs. I sit kinda far forward though, and very vertically, ahead of the B pillar.

My brother in law is about the same size, but rides with a gangsta lean, and I can't see anything without adjusting everything.

The huge mirrors and tall greenhouse helped compensate for blind spots for me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an FJ Cruiser, got it in 2006 when they first came out as an 07 model. It also has a huge blind spot. It's something you just gotta get used to dealing with. Doesn't bother me at all these days. Suggest you buy a kids back seat mirror monitor and suction it up behind your rear view mirror. Angle it to the slight right and you should then have a good side view. But hey do like I do and also look over your shoulder and make lots of use of your right side mirror. I have sat in the Renegades and am certain it will be something you will easily learn to adapt to.

Oh and FYI I tow a big sail boat behind my F J and it's no big deal changing lanes with a 23' long cabin cruiser in tow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I test drove the Renegade and noted that the front pillar near the windshield is massive, but the rest didn't phase me. Coming out of a Wrangler Unlimited with a soft top, I'm used to somewhat lacking rear visibility. I will say the back up camera is great and I will get whatever vehicle I buy next with all the back up safety gear I can find. My wife has parking sensors at all four corners and a backup camera in her BMW and it makes driving her car a real pleasure. I don't look at those as nanny items... I totally think they're great safety wise and a real help now that I've gotten a bit older.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drive a 14' Mazda 6 with Blind Spot and Cross Path. I wouldn't buy without it having experienced this technology. Cross path is amazing. It beeps when vehicles are 75-100 feet away and approaching. Talk about advanced warning. The reality is most cars today have terrible blind spots since it's all about styling especially these fast back styled SUVs. You literally can see nothing out of the side or back.

My main gripe with the Renegade is that to get this technology package you have to purchase 3 other options at a cost of an additional $1300.00. Ala Carte just doesn't exist. They are going to make you spend or go elsewhere. Want SiriusXM on a Honda HR-V. No problem, just get out your wallet. Only available on EX-L model (top of the line) so how many thousands extra do you have to pay? This kind of thing can be a deal breaker for me. The 500X doesn't make you buy nearly as much to get the Blind Spot package. $800 vs. 1300. Plus you can get Blind Spot with a choice of several grouped option packages not just one should you prefer something different in optional equipment.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an FJ Cruiser, got it in 2006 when they first came out as an 07 model. It also has a huge blind spot.
I also have the original FJ Cruiser, purchased in May 2006. Yeah the pillars do block your vision, but with the big mirrors it's not really a problem. I think the Renegade is likely way better as far as overall vision from the driver's seat goes, but like others have said it does matter how tall you are and the position of the seat with the incline etc.

I have the '07 FJ with Manual Transmission and AWD plus all the off road features like locking rear differential. I only want the Jeep Renegade with Manual transmission as both my wife and myself like to drive with the stick, so much more fun. It seems like Jeep should clue in that so many people out there actually *do* want the manual on the Renegade!

That said, I am waiting to test drive any Renegade that arrives near me just to check it out in person and see if my 6'2" son can fit in the back seat. I am 6'3" but if he can fit behind the passenger seat that would still work . :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I assure you that that system doesn't give any false warning, no matter how the traffic is, at least on my Land Rover, it's simply amazing. I don't know about the Renegade but I'm sure it will work perfectly too.

I can understand the fear of people who never tried it before, but trust me, you don't have to worry about it at all. I'll never get a car again without that system. I'm even warned about the incoming cars at fast speed.
There are well documented cases of false alarms and more importantly, it not detecting some vehicles, including motorcycles, leading to fatalities. We should not become complacent relying on fallible technology. It is not a fear of not having tried it, rather a respect for safety.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess it should be mentioned that I don't plan on supplementing correct safety measures while driving, such as checking around me before switching lanes or staying in tune with the traffic. Nor should anyone else. It's just an added measure that will hopefully only aid in one furthering their active visual acuity.

·
Registered
318 Posts

That´s the way it is ... and for the others who need those gimmicks to let em do the thinking for them ... valar morghulis ... everyone has to die ... live your life as long as it lasts and don´t keep thinking about things that might happen ... >:D:D;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an FJ Cruiser, got it in 2006 when they first came out as an 07 model. It also has a huge blind spot. It's something you just gotta get used to dealing with. Doesn't bother me at all these days. Suggest you buy a kids back seat mirror monitor and suction it up behind your rear view mirror. Angle it to the slight right and you should then have a good side view. But hey do like I do and also look over your shoulder and make lots of use of your right side mirror. I have sat in the Renegades and am certain it will be something you will easily learn to adapt to.

Oh and FYI I tow a big sail boat behind my F J and it's no big deal changing lanes with a 23' long cabin cruiser in tow.
Also had an 07 FJCruiser. As you said, it just takes getting used to. If cars stopped too close behind me at a light I couldn't even see them out the hatch window. I installed a camera on the back that solved that problem. Also those little round mirrors on the side mirrors helped with blind spots. Too many gadgets on vehicles today dumbing down driving skills.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd argue that the drivers are already dumb and the safety systems are helping to dumb drivers become "OK" drivers. How many people know how to properly aim side mirrors? Most think you need to see the side of the car in them...which invariably leads to blind spots. Hence, the blind spot systems to help them. I agree, most of the new safety systems coming out on vehicles aren't necessary if you truly know what you're doing, but some do provide benefits (such as the collision braking and such).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.