Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody actually ordered/used the blind spot detection option ? If so did it work as described without the attendant issue of being too annoying to actually use ?

I know somebody on this forum said they found the Lane Sense system very annoying, does anyone else have any views on this also ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Lane sense is (for me) more of a gimmick than of any real use - I can't ever remember drifting out of lane.
Can't see why it is an annoyance though - you can set it from high sensitivity/strong pull through low sensitivity/weak pull, or even turn it off completely.

I don't have the blind spot assist - I always look over my shoulder before making a manoeuvre, so I would feel pretty much the same, although possibly the additional reassurance would be useful.

I do like the park sensors as the rear vision isn't the best in the world, and I like the reassurance of forward collision avoidance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the Lane Sense system but I have never turned it on. I am afraid that I may end up in an car accident if I forget to use my turn signal and the steering wheel does not allow me to change lane or take a turn when in need.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Mine came with the Blind Spot Monitor (I bought the car off the lot). I find it annoying. I always look (mirrors & turn head) before I change lanes. It might even lull one into a false sense of security by relying on the electronics and not looking.

What is most annoying is when I merge onto the highway, I like to put on my turn signal well in advance as I am speeding up on the get-on ramp. Each car that passes me triggers the alarm (and mutes the radio for a second or two).

The Blind Spot Monitor is also triggered while making a turn where there are two lanes both going to the same place. This only happens when a car is next to you and the turn signal is still on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the Lane Sense system but I have never turned it on. I am afraid that I may end up in an car accident if I forget to use my turn signal and the steering wheel does not allow me to change lane or take a turn when in need.
Don't worry. Even at its strongest it is more like the feel you get when there are small ruts in the road. It's a very gentle nudge.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mine came with the Blind Spot Monitor (I bought the car off the lot). I find it annoying. I always look (mirrors & turn head) before I change lanes. It might even lull one into a false sense of security by relying on the electronics and not looking.

What is most annoying is when I merge onto the highway, I like to put on my turn signal well in advance as I am speeding up on the get-on ramp. Each car that passes me triggers the alarm (and mutes the radio for a second or two).

The Blind Spot Monitor is also triggered while making a turn where there are two lanes both going to the same place. This only happens when a car is next to you and the turn signal is still on.
Can this be turned off? Via a button or via Uconnect ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
BSM is great. I have it in all my cars. It's not a substitute for looking over your shoulders but sometimes you don't need to look over if you know you're surroundings. But flipping the turn indicator and not hearing any chimes gives you the added confirmation that no one is sneaking up on you.

If you can, get BSM. BTW along with BSM is Cross Path detection. That is also a great convenience when you back out of tight spots, it'll let you know if a car or ped is sneaking up on you.

I also wish I had parking sensors but they are not available for USA THs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
BSM is great. I have it in all my cars. It's not a substitute for looking over your shoulders but sometimes you don't need to look over if you know you're surroundings. But flipping the turn indicator and not hearing any chimes gives you the added confirmation that no one is sneaking up on you.

If you can, get BSM. BTW along with BSM is Cross Path detection. That is also a great convenience when you back out of tight spots, it'll let you know if a car or ped is sneaking up on you.

I also wish I had parking sensors but they are not available for USA THs.
I second this. BSM has saved me on a few occasions from ending up in a potentially bad situation when I was trying to change lanes too quickly. BSM was an option I did not want, but I am glad my Jeep came with it. Honestly I would say the option has already paid for itself.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I echo Mead and The Trailhawk,
On a trip from my country home to a suburb of Detroit today I had occasion to use BSM as well as Cross Path detection. Both worked as advertised.
The BSM is no replacement for turning your head and looking in your mirrors but it does provide an extra level of security. If you put on your turn signal and hear a chime it at least makes you pause before changing lanes. I played with my side mirrors today and there are indeed some areas where a casual glance wouldn't show a vehicle coming up alongside you.

Later I was backing out of a parking space and had two cars (from opposite directions) try to squeeze behind me as I was moving backward. I got a chime each time and braked before something nasty could happen. On the second one in particular if I had kept moving I would have nailed him in the side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 12 sensors with BSM and cross path detection plus active park assist.
I like the blind spot and CP detection it's an extra and helpful safety measure driving in London! I also like the lane sense for long motorway drives, dual carriageways etc. Again an additional reassurance. Would recommend all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.