Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a year old thread about the usefulness of the BSM but I want to know how it is suppose to work. My owners manual says "The BSM system notifies the driver of objects in the detection zones by illuminating the BMS warning light located in the outside mirrors in addition to sounding an audible (chime) alert and reducing he radio volume." I thought I detected a faint chime once but it was drowned out by the radio and I couldn't figure out how to increase the volume of the chime. I saw a YouTube video of a Jeep Cherokee and the video said the chime only comes on if you put your directional on. That would explain why my chime has never gone on. IMHO The light's size, location and brightness is just about useless. To see the lights I have to turn my head 90 deg. I would like to see the lights inside on the front pillars or have an adjustable volume/on/off audible come on the same time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I believe the chime can be turned on/off on the radio panel. I don't have any problem seeing
the warning light, otherwise you have to look over your shoulder to see if a vehicle is near
you. I like the light, I'm a senior citizen and my neck is a lot stiffer than it was a few years
back. If you turned on the chime it would probably be annoying in heavy traffic like we have.
It has saved me from having several close calls.

Clifton

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The owners manual says the light and chime will come on if there is a vehicle detected in the zone, and yes that could be annoying in heavy traffic that is why they give you the option to shut it off. My Renegade does not work that way. I have the lights and chime selected and I have not heard the chime yet. I'm going to test it so when the light comes on I'll put on my directional to listen for the chime while freaking out the driver beside me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In my wife's CX-5 the light in the mirror lights up when a car is in the blind spot but the chime only sounds if the blinker is on in the direction where there is a vehicle in the blind spot.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
In my wife's CX-5 the light in the mirror lights up when a car is in the blind spot but the chime only sounds if the blinker is on in the direction where there is a vehicle in the blind spot.
That's how it seems to work on the Renegades too based off the post I linked to ^there.

I don't have those features so can't say for certain.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It only sounds the chime if the turn signal is on. The light will come on any time a car is in the blind spot if the speed difference of the passing vehicle is less than 15 mph (24 kph).

The light in the mirror is easy to see if you are actually turning your head and looking before you change lanes (looking both out the window and in the mirror). I always look before I change lanes. A good habit I have used for years of riding motorcycles.

Actually, I find the chime more annoying than helpful. It sounds while two lanes of traffic are turning in the same direction. Or, if you are merging onto the highway and put on the turn signal early while you're accelerating (waiting for cars to pass), the BSM sounds. And it always sounds just while I'm listening to something interesting on the radio.

Reactions: Lackadazikal
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.