Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have read other threads on this issue. But, has anyone resolved it successfully? I had mine into the dealership for damage they caused to it and asked about this issue. The service manager claimed he was looking into it and that he had never seen that before. So just wondered if anyone has an answer as to why the odometer blinks and/or how to fix it.

Mickee

·
Registered
580 Posts
Probably a CAN glitch, some kind of miscommunication between the various computerized systems. Have the dealer plug in their diagnostic tool.

You could also try disconnecting the battery for at least 15 minutes. Hopefully, after reconnecting the battery, the system will reboot properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Usually it happens when you need to re-align some electronic component (i.e. after upgrading your Uconnect, or replacing a/c, etc.).
So maybe a visit to the dealer could help.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I have read other threads on this issue. But, has anyone resolved it successfully? I had mine into the dealership for damage they caused to it and asked about this issue. The service manager claimed he was looking into it and that he had never seen that before. So just wondered if anyone has an answer as to why the odometer blinks and/or how to fix it.

Mickee
The OP in this thread had his Renegade bought back because they couldn't fix it.

-Then there was this post in response to the problem:
Had the same problem today after the dealer replaced the radio, but the blinking odometer
was fixed after they went into system/proxy configuration.
Took them 3 tries, but they fixed the blinking odometer, now only if I can get the radio fixed LOL
-This person complained of the same issue, but only posted the one time.
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ified-speaker-package-sound-like-garbage.html

Sorry to hear it's happening to you and I hope your dealer can figure it out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this had been discussed before, but has anyone gotten a genuine fix for this issue? I asked the dealership and they had never seen it before and had no idea how to fix it. So I thought I would check here and then could relay the info to the dealership.

Mickee

·
Registered
580 Posts
Usually it happens when you need to re-align some electronic component (i.e. after upgrading your Uconnect, or replacing a/c, etc.).
So maybe a visit to the dealer could help.
That describes a CAN glitch. The question, is what good does going to the dealer do, if the dealer is clueless about how to use their nifty special scan tool? Unfortunately, just any OBD II reader won't cut it. Either the proprietary scan tool or the proper software on a computer is required. For my Audi I have VAG.com software on a laptop and it can do everything the proprietary VW scan tool can do. Hard or impossible to do many things on computerized cars without an "electronic wrench."

I recommended disconnecting the battery for half an hour, because that may well realign computerized components during a reboot and thus the problem may be solved. Doesn't cost a penny and there's not risk involved. Even my grandmother can disconnect a car battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you for the info. My dealer cannot figure it out either. I have the service team and my salesman searching for an answer to it. They have been working on it for over a week.

Mickee

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thank you for the info. My dealer cannot figure it out either. I have the service team and my salesman searching for an answer to it. They have been working on it for over a week.

Mickee
Hi Mickee.. sorry for the delay in seeing your posts... Has the dealership found a fix for you? I involved Chrysler Corp, and ultimately the right thing was done and they bought it back. It was seriously months of time in and out of the dealers shop to find a fix that no one could find... so I opted to return it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 jeep Renegade Blinking Odometer

We have a 2015 Jeep Renegade sport, at 16000 miles exactly service engine soon light came on, Odometer started Blinking, and AC would not work. Took the car to the dealer said there were no codes in computer except HVAC blend door showing up in PCM ( Not supposed to have those codes in that section of computer. dealer had it for 4 days could not duplicate problem so thank you push us out the door not our problem. ( Goldy Auto Huntington WV ) 1 week later guess what .... same thing got it to dealer ( Different Dealer ) and again no codes except HVAC again....... Mechanic said once again codes were not supposed to be in that section of the computer. Mechanic Flashed computer still did not fix. Now they opened a Star Case with Jeep, they said to check grounds to be sure they were tight ( They all Were ) and replace SCM, ok new issue when Mechanic removed SCM it fell apart in his hand so it was replaced, sent us home thinking problem solved ( dealer had for 7 Days ) NOPE here it goes again we figured out whenever its a hot day and outside temp Gauge reads over 100 problems start , No AC Check Engine Light, and Blinking Odometer. Dealer has had another week now and still no fixes. We have recorded all incidents on video for the dealer to see. Now we have been talking to Chrysler about replacing The Jeep. I Refuse to put my family in something that obviously has computer problems in fear that it could shut off in the middle of the road or even catch fire. has anyone had similar issues and did you find a fix for it?

Thanks OlllllllO Jeep On!

Zombie Dude!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Vampyr on here had his Renegade melt down with a software issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, had blinking displays, then total failure, then on full illumination. Completely random behaviour by electronic system. At dealership for second time since purchase 3 weeks ago!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I also have the blinking odometer problem, but my 2016 renegade does not have heated seats. We just installed an after-market stereo and I believe that triggered the blinking. Was the heated seat module their final conclusion?

thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blinking Odometer in Renegade - What Caused Mine...

Hi fellow Jeep owners,
I have a new 7,000 mile Trail Hawk, great vehicle.
Thur (12/28/17) the radio came up and said it needed to do a update, do not turn off car.
I let it run, took about 15min. - when at home it was done, turned off car, it said it would finish the update and it did.
Fri (12/29/17), I took it out for errands, when started I noticed the Odo blinking, about 1 per second.
It did this while driving about 5 min, odo working, just blinking.
Got to ATM machine, pulled up, turned Jeep OFF, did my ATM, started back up, now ODO is solid and fine.

SO... my conclusion is that it does have something to do with the CAN bus, and the radio doing its big update caused it.
However after the Radio was done and ok, next time I stopped, started it cleared the blinking ODO.
I also noticed while it was blinking that the Oil Temp was NOT REGISTERING anything... all other guages looked fine.
Checked this after blinking stopped and Oil temp is fine.
So the radio update must have upset the CAN bus.

Surprises me that seems Chrysler does not know WHY it blinks ? I guess just s symptom (not indicator) of CAN bus problems.

OTHER NOTE: I have a 2011 Grand C, Oland with Air suspension... it is great... but when new the Air Suspension was new and had
issues, dealer did NOT know how to work on it... but the Star system seemed to work eventually. I'm in NC and we have Lemon laws
I started documenting this and was ready to push the Lemon law on them... they worked hard to get it right and even made 1 of my
car payments for the lost time while it was at dealer. I think Chrysler is top notch but the dealers sometimes need more than a nudge
to do the right thing.

Thanks for all the posts... great info here.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had a new radio installed in the past year and when I picked up the Renegade the odometer was blinking. I went back in and a tech came out and said there was a reset for the radio that wasn't performed correctly and fixed the blinking in just over a minute. I asked if it was the radio and he said it was in this case but the blinking can result from other sources. He didn't elaborate and unfortunately I didn't ask what else can cause blinking.

·
Super Moderator
1,867 Posts
Anything that is connected to the
car's CANBus that doesn't respond correctly/
in time during the diagnostics (which
start when you switch on the ignition)
results in a CANBus error and flashing
odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a new radio installed in the past year and when I picked up the Renegade the odometer was blinking. I went back in and a tech came out and said there was a reset for the radio that wasn't performed correctly and fixed the blinking in just over a minute. I asked if it was the radio and he said it was in this case but the blinking can result from other sources. He didn't elaborate and unfortunately I didn't ask what else can cause blinking.
I can confirm the radio a source of this problem. I installed an aftermarket Android head unit and that's when the blinking started. I have not brought it in to have the blinking stopped yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blink...blink...blink

Same here. 2015 Renegade Sport. Just had an upgraded radio added. Still trying to get everything working. Radio fine, Back-up camera fine, Steering wheel controls not working. I'll be checking with the wiring harness manufacturer next week to get this resolved.. IN THE MEAN TIME, as soon as the new radio was added.... The odometer started blinking. I'll look into this after the radio system and all the controls are working OK. Once the Radio is fine, I'll get the AlfaOBD software to check out the odometer as I start my next project of trying to the the OEM Fog Lights I added to work. I have several Threads under the Fog Light section. Dealership seems to be lost in understanding the software engineering on these Fiat vehicles. If I get a fix, I'll post what was done to correct the issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The alfaobd software will cure all of your issues. Dealers aren't trained for these adjustments nor are they given enough time to effectuate the full process.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anything that is connected to the
car's CANBus that doesn't respond correctly/
in time during the diagnostics (which
start when you switch on the ignition)
results in a CANBus error and flashing
odometer.
Thank you, Nev, that is important to know.

That means when the odo flashes, the CARBUS error bit is set. Ideally, a dealer should be able to read any accompanying codes, then reset the error bit, turning off the flashing. If the dealer does that and the odo keeps flashing, possibly there is a persistent recurring error, or either the error bit or the odo flash bit cannot be reset in memory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had replacement computer in the 2015 Ren Limited due to Lanesense failure (due to third party windscreen fitter mishandling the box). All systems on the car now fully operable, but now have blinking odometer. Any updates on the fix for this?
-T

41 - 60 of 76 Posts