Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

OK, so I'm not sure if this has been raised much in the past so apologies if it's an old topic but...

Is the boot/tailgate lid opening button not the biggest design flaw on the Renegade!?

:eek:

I don't know if it's just the Euro version but instead of putting the tailgate (boot) release button in the sensible place above the registration plate, it's a tiny button that is always difficult to find right on the very bottom of the tailgate lid..

There is even a plastic blanking plate in the exact place it 'should' go so obviously the intention is for the button and handle to be in this location but instead it's a small rubber 'afterthought' in a location that's not the easiest to find..

:crying:

Does anyone else find this just a little bit strange?

:|

Reactions: Raff and rsanges

·
Registered
35 Posts
The day I took my Trailhawk home, I had to walk back in to the Dealership Office to have someone come show me how to open the dang rear hatch. I could not see a button/latch, etc.

I am 6'4" tall and I have to bend down to get up under that little ledge to hit the button even after being made aware of it. It is just out of reach for me. I have keyless entry, but not for that door. It sucks to have my hands/arms full, and then I have to contort just to reach down far enough to manipulate it.

My height is handy for reaching tall shelves, but is not so much for being stealthy, nor for opening the rear door of my Rene. I sill love it though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AR - I totally agree and I am also 6'2"..

raz-o I can't disagree more sorry. If you look above the registration plate where the opener 'should' be, you can see that the intention was for it to be here as there is a plastic cover in it's place...

The tiny rubber 'afterthought' button is poor...but I agree, the Jeep is still a fun little truck!

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^

This probably sums it up - one shouldn't have to look up in the manual how to open the trunk..

:crying:

Never mind...moan over, I just wondered if anyone else felt the same, it would appear so..

:D

Reactions: rsanges

·
Registered
499 Posts

raz-o I can't disagree more sorry. If you look above the registration plate where the opener 'should' be, you can see that the intention was for it to be here as there is a plastic cover in it's place...

The tiny rubber 'afterthought' button is poor...but I agree, the Jeep is still a fun little truck!

Above the license plate is the reverse camera on my trailhawk. Are we talking about the same spot?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

You can disagree all you want. I wans't offering an opinion. I was stating a fact. GO on dealer lots. Poke at the hatches of the variety of CUV offerings. You will find a LOT of them are doing the rubber button thing that is always unlocked with the doors, and putting it in the same place as the renegade.

I'm 6'7" and I don't see what the gripe is. yeah, you have to lean down a bit, but once you have grabbed the hatch there, you don't have to change where you grabbed it to open it all the way. Halfway, up the hatch, you would unless you are limber and have nice long forearms. Most people aren't really tall with as my wife puts it "monkey arms" like I have, so I understand the reasoning.

It's also convenient as it is assisted by pneumatic struts, and if they are less than full power in bitter cold winter time, maximum leverage is also good.

There are reasons why it is where it is, and it is becoming the norm in the b and c segment CUV market. You can dislike it all you want, but it isn't odd, and it is arguably less wrong then putting it where you want.

I've had a single piece tailgate with it where you want. On a lifted '85 ram charger (8" of lift plus 35x12 tires). It sucked, especially come winter as the car was about 9 years old when I got it.

·
Registered
122 Posts

The plastic covered area that you're referring to, is where the backup camera goes, not the hatch release.

The rubberized release under the lip is pretty standard on SUVs these days, for durability and weather resistance.

That said...

The release on the Renegade was kind of "odd" to me at first. Most are just a single button to open/release, it's wide and easy to hit with your hand. (I'll try to grab a picture of the one on my Cherokee Trailhawk)

The Renegade has two buttons down there, a lock and unlock. The protruding (feels like it) unlock button has the grippy texture to it.

Try it a few times, you'll get used to it in no time :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely odd!

It's not that it's a rubber button, nor that it's on the bottom side of the tailgate.. It's the fact that it's a tiny button hidden under the very underside of the boot lid that you have to feel around for every time... Usually there is a handle or a little indentation or 'something' that assists in guiding you to the release button location.. Perhaps Fiat, and let's face it, it's very much a Fiat...thought they could deter burglars if they hid the button..

OK I'm exaggerating, once you know where it is, you feel around and find it no problem but I'm putting it down to typical poor Italian engineering...

You should not have to look up in your manual or in any way find it difficult no matter how little, to open the tailgate or any door of your car...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, I'm not meaning to be offensive, it's only a small thing and of course not a life changer that it's not the most well designed feature on the car..

;)

I still like the little Jeep on the whole.

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.