Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Jeep renegade latitude brand new, only 11 miles on it. I’ve taken good care of my car and did the suggested maintenance on it. I didn’t have any issues with it until one day I was driving home and every light on the dashboard lit up and couldn’t get the car to shut off for about 10 minutes and finally got it to turn off. A couple hours later I started it and all the lights were gone and I test drove it and everything seemed fine, I figured it was just a glitch. I drove it the next day and on my way home it did the same thing 4 times and I had to pull over every time because it would start to die. I would spend anywhere from 10-30 minutes trying to get it to shut off. I would finally get it and let it sit and then start it and drive as far as I could until it happened again. I finally made it home and every light came on as I was pulling in the driveway and it said something about passive entry. I couldn’t turn it off for about 40 minutes when I finally locked and unlocked the doors and it shut off. The next morning I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t start it, lock or unlock the doors, every time I clicked the start button it said the passive entry error. I had it towed to the dealership and it’s been there for 3 months still not diagnosed. They replaced multiple parts, even put a new wiring harness in it and still nothing. I dont know what to do. Is my vehicle a lemon?? Please help.
Speedometer Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Odometer

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Car

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Welcome! Sorry that this is the occasion for you joining...

Normally with the Renegade, weird electrical issues like this -- particularly when warning lights start coming on like a Christmas tree -- are due to a old weak battery. These vehicles are so computerized and so dependent on good battery voltage, that a battery that's just a bit weak can cause all sorts of strange stuff.

But that normally happens after about three years, and your Renegade is obvioulsy not that old.

Fortunately it looks like the dealer is taking car of this under warranty, which they certainly should. But three months? Hopefully they're providing you with a free loaner...

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
and enjoy the forum!

Sorry your having problems with your little Jeep.
Hope they fix it or make you happy soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Get the battery and alternator checked.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
3 months seems excessive. Have they been working on it for 3 months or has it been sitting there ?? It didn't take 3 months to build the damn thing and ship it here from Italy !!

If they gave you a loaner, that's good, 3 months of mileage not on your Jeep. If you have no loaner, I'd be on the phone daily asking for an update.

It's a long shot, but if it's at the dealer where you purchased, see if you can get a deal on another Jeep.

You may have to go the Lemon Law route....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Get the battery and alternator checked.
That was my first thought (at least the battery). But if the dealer has had the Renegade for three months now, it's not that -- that would have been the very first thing(s) they would have checked, and fixed in a day or two.

I suspect they're eiether stumped, or found something more seriously wrong. In the latter case, they may be waiting for authorization from Jeep to do something drastic. And apparently not communicating enough with the OP.

Meantime, under warranty, I'd expect a loaner...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Normally with the Renegade, weird electrical issues like this -- particularly when warning lights start coming on like a Christmas tree -- are due to a old weak battery. These vehicles are so computerized and so dependent on good battery voltage, that a battery that's just a bit weak can cause all sorts of strange stuff.

But that normally happens after about three years, and your Renegade is obvioulsy not that old.

Fortunately it looks like the dealer is taking car of this under warranty, which they certainly should. But three months? Hopefully they're providing you with a free loaner...

Thankfully they are providing me with a free loaner but I have to change vehicles every other week due to them not wanting many miles on it because they still want to sell the vehicles I’m driving. The other downside is I never know what vehicle I’m going to get, sometimes the mpg is terrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lemon laws usually vary by the state you live in

Three months - Yikes

What is the dealer offering you
They said I would have to contact Chrysler to consider a buy back offer, however I don’t know who to contact exactly. They said they are going to work on it until they fix it or Chrysler tells them there is nothing else they can do.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Contact a lemon lawyer in your state. It's been off the road for 90 days with a given problem. I don't think there is any state in the US you don't meet the lemon law requirements in gneeral except those where the clock doesn't start ticking until you officially file some paperwork.

The vehicle is FUBAR at some level and they will never figure out what is wrong. The dealership may be low on work and miliking it until jeep says no to them. In the history of the forum, there have only been 3-4 cases like this where it's brand new and totally fubar in terms of electrics with no obvious cause (there were a batch of others at the very beginning of production where a major wiring harness was getting randomly crushed during the engine installation at the factory, but that was resolved long ago and not a diagnostic problem).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They said I would have to contact Chrysler to consider a buy back offer, however I don’t know who to contact exactly. They said they are going to work on it until they fix it or Chrysler tells them there is nothing else they can do.
My limited experience with Renegades is that there are multiple paths in contacting FCA. Did you get membership in the Jeep Wave program when you bought the vehicle?

Jeep® Wave Owner Benefits

If so, that's one avenue to contact them. Not sure how that differs from others...

You dealer should have opened a case, which the Jeep Wave folks should be able to access. They're not too bad about e-mail communication.

Another avenue on this Forum is Username JeepCares, apparently with another Jeep-affiliated ogranization by the same name. Not sure what the relationship is with Jeep Wave. But username JeepCares monitors this Forum regularly -- I would have expected them to chime in by now. You might want to send them a PM.

I'm pretty sure they all plug into the same warranty and claim system; it's just a matter of which point of contact gives you the best continuing response.

Glad you're getting loaners, even though you have to swap them out weekly. At least you're getting fred test drives to learn what features you like and don't like on various vehicles! :)

Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thankfully they are providing me with a free loaner but I have to change vehicles every other week due to them not wanting many miles on it because they still want to sell the vehicles I’m driving. The other downside is I never know what vehicle I’m going to get, sometimes the mpg is terrible.
You're nicer than I am. If they called me wanting to swap out vehicles so they can keep the mileage down, I would've calmly, but firmly, said, "You want to keep the mileage down ? FIX MY JEEP. That'd do it !!".

Then if they asked for it back on Monday, I'd roll in on Wednesday. If they call, say "I'm visiting friends in another state. Maybe 3 days from now.".

Maybe that'll make them get off the pot.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm having the same problem my jeep won't start reading Passive Entry Error. I cut it off at church and it started the exact same thing. Please do anyone know what to do about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Jeep renegade latitude brand new, only 11 miles on it. I’ve taken good care of my car and did the suggested maintenance on it. I didn’t have any issues with it until one day I was driving home and every light on the dashboard lit up and couldn’t get the car to shut off for about 10 minutes and finally got it to turn off. A couple hours later I started it and all the lights were gone and I test drove it and everything seemed fine, I figured it was just a glitch. I drove it the next day and on my way home it did the same thing 4 times and I had to pull over every time because it would start to die. I would spend anywhere from 10-30 minutes trying to get it to shut off. I would finally get it and let it sit and then start it and drive as far as I could until it happened again. I finally made it home and every light came on as I was pulling in the driveway and it said something about passive entry. I couldn’t turn it off for about 40 minutes when I finally locked and unlocked the doors and it shut off. The next morning I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t start it, lock or unlock the doors, every time I clicked the start button it said the passive entry error. I had it towed to the dealership and it’s been there for 3 months still not diagnosed. They replaced multiple parts, even put a new wiring harness in it and still nothing. I dont know what to do. Is my vehicle a lemon?? Please help. View attachment 2396352828
View attachment 2396352827
Same darn problem with my jeep as well...are there any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my Jeep renegade latitude brand new, only 11 miles on it. I’ve taken good care of my car and did the suggested maintenance on it. I didn’t have any issues with it until one day I was driving home and every light on the dashboard lit up and couldn’t get the car to shut off for about 10 minutes and finally got it to turn off. A couple hours later I started it and all the lights were gone and I test drove it and everything seemed fine, I figured it was just a glitch. I drove it the next day and on my way home it did the same thing 4 times and I had to pull over every time because it would start to die. I would spend anywhere from 10-30 minutes trying to get it to shut off. I would finally get it and let it sit and then start it and drive as far as I could until it happened again. I finally made it home and every light came on as I was pulling in the driveway and it said something about passive entry. I couldn’t turn it off for about 40 minutes when I finally locked and unlocked the doors and it shut off. The next morning I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t start it, lock or unlock the doors, every time I clicked the start button it said the passive entry error. I had it towed to the dealership and it’s been there for 3 months still not diagnosed. They replaced multiple parts, even put a new wiring harness in it and still nothing. I dont know what to do. Is my vehicle a lemon?? Please help. View attachment 2396352828
Ally

Let the dealer continue to work on the vehicle which it is still on warranty. But get a lemon law attorney to help you get things straighten out. They are the professional and deal with Chrysler everyday. I have a case pending against Chrysler for a new engine. Don't wait, 3 months is way too long!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had same electrical problem with my 2015 jeep renegade. Would show all kinds of service messages and would not start. Vehicle in dealer multiple of times and had rental car so often rental agent knew me by name. Had multiple of parts replaced including crimped wire. I had battery replaced with a factory battery at dealer and electrical problems stopped. Other replies on forum confirm replacing battery. I also had my transmission replaced. I have a stack of service issues that were performed. Also dealer has to clear the issues on computer after fixing the problem or car still thinks there is issue. Soooo disappointed with the Renegade. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're nicer than I am. If they called me wanting to swap out vehicles so they can keep the mileage down, I would've calmly, but firmly, said, "You want to keep the mileage down ? FIX MY JEEP. That'd do it !!".

Then if they asked for it back on Monday, I'd roll in on Wednesday. If they call, say "I'm visiting friends in another state. Maybe 3 days from now.".

Maybe that'll make them get off the pot.
Get a lemon law lawyer. Its not the dealership's fault it is the manufacturer!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts