Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Trailhawk here. I had not started my Renegade for about 10 days. When I got into start, pressed on the brake then hit start button, the brake pedal was very hard to push down. I really had to push down to get the brake pedal to move down enough to start the engine. Is this normal, something I need to worry about. Does this happen when the vehicle is not started for 10 plus days.?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It is normal if someone stepped on the brake pedal since the last time the car was run. You don't have much brake boost reserve when the engine is off. I think you only get about one pedal stroke before the boost bleeds off.

And I have noticed that too on occasion. Maybe the boost actually does bleed off if the vehicle is not driven. I'll have to pay attention now that I use the motorcycle much of the time for work and my other car and the Renegade sit for days at a time.

I never liked when they started put the brake pedal interlocks on cars and another reason I always drove manual transmission cars (the modern clutch interlock is at least a bit less intrusive).

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is happening to me all the sudden, but almost every time I start the car. I use it every day. It started out of nowhere about two weeks ago. I'll bring it up at next service. I'm at 30K miles, so soon out of warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Possibly the brake booster check valve, the rubber grommet, or the booster itself. Anything that allows vacuum to leak down while the engine is off. If it is a very small leak it won't matter much.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mine does that if I don't use it for a few days. The brake booster must bleed off its vacuum over time. This causes me no concern as the brakes work as well as they did when brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts