Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to add a trailer brake controller to my Renegade. I need a wire that's hot ONLY when you hit the brakes, so I can tap it and send the signal to the controller. I can't find one. Normally, there's something on the brake pedal, but you can't access anything on the Renegade. I thought I might be able to tap something at the rear and send it forward, but the Renegade differentiates parking lights vs. brakes with a difference in brightness. I've installed the Renegade Ready kit and it's the same way. There's nothing that's dedicated on/off for brakes.

Any ideas on a wire to tap in to for a brake signal?

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is never going to be easy - don't forget that in the US, one brake light is also flashed for indicators.
My guess is you would either require a dedicated module for this (the logic shouldn't be too complex, or there will be a Mopar unit to achieve what you want.
Apologies I can't be of further help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably going to have to take it in and pay somebody with better equipment and knowledge to find it. I was hoping somebody on the forums would have wiring diagrams or something and be able to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There has to be a brake light switch near the brake pedal (arm). Go to the dealer and have them show you the brake pedal diagram. There are brake controller installation kits. They all make use of the brake light switch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It would be a pain, but if you go from the rear forward, the third brake light is only on with the brakes. But, as was stated above, there should be a wire you can tap into by the brake pedal.

Erik

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The switch on the brake pedal arm is hidden way up under the dash somewhere. That's what I've tapped into in the past, but I couldn't find it on the Renegade. I actually ran a wire to the back to try to tap something there. I was looking at the third brake light, but I couldn't get the trip panels off to access it. I might have to revisit that. Any diagrams on how to remove these panels would be much appreciated. And stopping by the dealer to see if they can show me a diagram of the brake pedal is a good idea. Thanks.

-Mike

·
Registered
580 Posts
As far I know there is not yet any factory or aftermarket repair/service manual. These typically contain all information a DIYer could want.

Tapping into the third brake light should work, but you should probably use it only to switch a relay instead of powering the trailer's brake lights through the third brake light circuit. Although, with LED lights it may be possible to forego the relay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far I know there is not yet any factory or aftermarket repair/service manual. These typically contain all information a DIYer could want.

Tapping into the third brake light should work, but you should probably use it only to switch a relay instead of powering the trailer's brake lights through the third brake light circuit. Although, with LED lights it may be possible to forego the relay.
Why would I need to use a relay? The brake controller is powered and just needs the signal from the car to know when the brakes are active. Thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why would I need to use a relay? The brake controller is powered and just needs the signal from the car to know when the brakes are active. Thanks.
With incandescent brake lights my concern would be the brake light switch getting fried over time if you power extra bulbs through it. Hence my suggestion to use a relay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With incandescent brake lights my concern would be the brake light switch getting fried over time if you power extra bulbs through it. Hence my suggestion to use a relay.
Thanks. From what I read, the third brake light on the Renegade is an LED. Would this change your thinking? Also, I won't be powering an additional light. I just need an on/off signal to send to the brake controller so it knows when to send it's signal to the trailer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mkalkofen,
what did you end up doing here? I have the same problem, just can't find anywhere to connect into the brake signal.
I haven't finished it yet. I finally have some time this weekend and the weather is supposed to be nice. I found a wiring diagram that makes it look like there may be a potential wire from the rear fuse block, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I will likely be taking the lift gate apart and accessing the third brake light. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't finished it yet. I finally have some time this weekend and the weather is supposed to be nice. I found a wiring diagram that makes it look like there may be a potential wire from the rear fuse block, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I will likely be taking the lift gate apart and accessing the third brake light. I'll let you know how it goes!

I had my rear door panel off trying to get to the third brake light. Dealer looked in their book and said it was easy just one nut hold the third light fixture in. Not what I found. There are four nuts and a bolt that hold the brow the third light is in. With them out I pried and pulled until I thought something might break. Still didn't get to the third light.

Tech at dealer told me they can't get much info on these rigs yet. As a last resort they refer to Fiat 500X info. Same car just a different skin.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trailer Brake Controller Wiring....DONE!!!

I had my rear door panel off trying to get to the third brake light. Dealer looked in their book and said it was easy just one nut hold the third light fixture in. Not what I found. There are four nuts and a bolt that hold the brow the third light is in. With them out I pried and pulled until I thought something might break. Still didn't get to the third light.

Tech at dealer told me they can't get much info on these rigs yet. As a last resort they refer to Fiat 500X info. Same car just a different skin.
Ok. I finally did it!

Like you, I tried to get to the actual light in the brow, but couldn't figure out how to get it off. With all the panels off the liftgate, I looked at the wires and thought about where they were going. The harness on the left goes up to the brow over the liftgate glass and the one on the right goes to the wiper, camera, plate lights, etc. I unwrapped some of the wires on the left to see what I was looking at and found that is has the water hose for the wiper and two wires. I figured these had to be the wires to the light, so I cut back a little shielding on one of them. Bingo! It was the power to the light; on with the brakes, off otherwise!

I stripped a little shielding off the wire (the lighter one), routed a wire between the panels and headliner, then up through the rubber boot, and soldered it to the wire. I wrapped it up with electrical tape and put it all back together.

I took the trailer out for a little test and everything worked great. Power and handling were fine, the brakes activated as they should. My hitch is too low. I'll likely upgrade to the bumper hitch, but it will work for this summer. I'll give some more detailed tow reviews when I take it out for a weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brake controller wiring..

Do any of you have any easy way of getting brake controller wiring from the engine compartment to the cab.. I finally figured out how to get wiring from the back of the rig to the engine compartment but getting it into the cab looks like it will not be fun as there does not seem to be any access holes through the firewall and it looks like the airbag is going to be an issue........ Any suggestions....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do any of you have any easy way of getting brake controller wiring from the engine compartment to the cab.. I finally figured out how to get wiring from the back of the rig to the engine compartment but getting it into the cab looks like it will not be fun as there does not seem to be any access holes through the firewall and it looks like the airbag is going to be an issue........ Any suggestions....
I just went through all of this. It's not that bad. There is a rubber boot through the drywall that you can push a few wires through. You have to remove the cowl plastic and stuff to access it, but it's not bad. You can route through a lot of the factory channels and keep it really clean. I can try to take some pictures later if you'd like.

Just curious, but what did you do to bring the brake signal from the back? I tapped into the third brake light wire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.