Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I know brake issues have been a somewhat common thread and wanted to let you all know what I've found out in regards to this.

My Rene has 1600+ miles and just recently started squeaking after the car wasn't driven for a few hours. The problem would resolve after a few stops. (Note: I hardly ever use the parking brake and I'm not hard on the brakes. Most of my mileage is all highway driving).

Anyway, I took the car in today and after a complete inspection the dealer could find no issue with the braking system. However my device advisor did inform me he found a "Star Report Bulletin" on redesigned pads with new linings that they started to manufacture in May of this year. My pads have been ordered and will be replaced sometime next week, at which point I'll post an update.

Also in case any of you weren't aware, FCA put semi metallic pads on the Rene at the factory. The service advisor said and I quote "Chrysler feels semi metallic pads provide better stopping power than ceramics." Personally I prefer ceramic and am sure after market manufactures will have a ceramic pad available in the future at which point I will swap out. Semi metallics are notorious for squeaks and of course dust. Hopefully the new pad design will help for now though to quiet things down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my Renegade serviced today with approx 3,500 miles. They said that in regards to the squealing brakes, they found a TSB relating to the brake calipers. They said that they had to order them, as they don't have them in stock, and that they'd be here some time next week.

My brakes are squealing nearly 100% of the time when the speed of the Renegade is 0-10 miles per hour. That's backing up out of the driveway, coming to stops, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone, just a quick update on my brake pads. I hadn't heard back from the dealer on install, so I gave them a call. Looks like the redesigned rear pads are on back order, so it's a hurry up and wait until those come in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey everyone, just a quick update on my brake pads. I hadn't heard back from the dealer on install, so I gave them a call. Looks like the redesigned rear pads are on back order, so it's a hurry up and wait until those come in.
I just picked up my Jeep from service, brake pads/squeal was one of my concerns. They stated that they are aware of the problem but since it isn't a safety concern and only an annoyance that nothing will be done at this time. Let us know if you do indeed get new pads from Jeep.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Metallic and semi metallic pads have better stopping qualities, while ceramics are supposed to emit less dust and limited to no noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted in recalls, but I guess it will go here too. I just got my Rene back from the dealer, they put new rotors and pads on free of charge so far so good on the screeching. at first they didn't want to do it so I layed in the floor and kicked and screamed until the owner came out. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brakes no longer squeal since getting it back from the dealership. Here's what the wrote in the service description:

R&I CALIPERS, PADS AND CLIPS. R&I MOUNTING BRACKET AND ROTORS. CLEANED THE SEALANT FROM CALIPER BRACKET AND STEERING KNUCKLE ON BOTH FRONT. RE-INSTALLED BRAKE PARTS. TEST DROVE AND MADE SEVERAL MODERATE BRAKE APPLICATIONS TO VERIFY REPAIRS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brakes are squealing nearly 100% of the time when the speed of the Renegade is 0-10 miles per hour. That's backing up out of the driveway, coming to stops, etc.
The same here. My Renegade has now 2500 km on the odo, and the squealing has been there almost all the time, always at low speeds.

The service will replace the pads next Thursday - let's see how it works after that. I hope I'll get a bit softer feeling on the brakes: now it feels a bit hard at the end of braking and also not very easy to make a smooth (and silent) stop. They said that usually brake parts are replaced at the owner's cost only, but in this case they have an issue. Also, low mileage is expected when doing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Sport 1.4 4X4 has about 1350 miles. I noticed a LOUD screeching from front brakes on occasion, but always on first stop in morning. Today was the first day of rain/high humidity, and it screeched LOUDly for the first three-four stops. I am very easy on my brakes, so it is disappointing. I'll let the service writer know about it when I get my first oil change at 3-4000 miles (I'm NOT waiting for 1year/10,000 miles!). I believe it is a metallic pad noise issue...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The service will replace the pads next Thursday - let's see how it works after that. I hope I'll get a bit softer feeling on the brakes: now it feels a bit hard at the end of braking and also not very easy to make a smooth (and silent) stop. They said that usually brake parts are replaced at the owner's cost only, but in this case they have an issue. Also, low mileage is expected when doing this.
My Renegade indeed got new pads 10 days ago and we've been driving around very actively (how else!): after 4½ weeks there's 3500 km on the odo. No squealing any longer! I was told that the new pads were dipped into a liquid before installation to keep them quiet a bit longer. And yes: now it is much easier to stop smoothly - the brake pedal has now a lot better response. :)

Since this seems to be a common problem I recommend you to turn to your dealer to fix this. Even though Renegade is an eye-catcher (which is nice), it does not need to be an ear-catcher as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.