Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Renegade in July 2015, and I've had to take it in to the dealership three times for the same problem. There seems to be a problem with the connection to turn the engine on. The first time I took it to the dealership, the car was there for several days because they couldn't figure out the problem. When they did, they said it was a problem with the solenoid. They "fixed" it and I was back on the road. Two weeks later, the car had the same problem. Took it to a different dealership and it also took them several days to figure out the problem. They also concluded it was the solenoid and they "fixed" it. Two weeks later, the car was having the same problem again. I took it back to the dealership and they have had it now for 11 days. About a week ago, they called and told me that the problem was the PCM and a new computer was on order. But today, they called and said it wasn't the PCM but instead it was a faulty wiring harness that was causing a bad connection. The wiring harness has to be ordered and I'll be without my car for another 5 days at the minimum.

This is RIDICULOUS! Yes, I have a rental car, but I'm paying good money on a vehicle that is brand new and that I seem to never be able to drive. The worst part is that the closest dealership is 84 miles away. I'm so frustrated, and I'm not at all confident that once I pick up my vehicle for the third time that it will truly be fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased my Renegade in July 2015, and I've had to take it in to the dealership three times for the same problem. There seems to be a problem with the connection to turn the engine on. The first time I took it to the dealership, the car was there for several days because they couldn't figure out the problem. When they did, they said it was a problem with the solenoid. They "fixed" it and I was back on the road. Two weeks later, the car had the same problem. Took it to a different dealership and it also took them several days to figure out the problem. They also concluded it was the solenoid and they "fixed" it. Two weeks later, the car was having the same problem again. I took it back to the dealership and they have had it now for 11 days. About a week ago, they called and told me that the problem was the PCM and a new computer was on order. But today, they called and said it wasn't the PCM but instead it was a faulty wiring harness that was causing a bad connection. The wiring harness has to be ordered and I'll be without my car for another 5 days at the minimum.

This is RIDICULOUS! Yes, I have a rental car, but I'm paying good money on a vehicle that is brand new and that I seem to never be able to drive. The worst part is that the closest dealership is 84 miles away. I'm so frustrated, and I'm not at all confident that once I pick up my vehicle for the third time that it will truly be fixed.
Sounds like a real hassle.....If you haven't already, you might try reaching out to JeepCares through this forum and maybe they can offer you some guidance or at least point you towards the right people to contact for resolution. If multiple diagnostics through different service departments have not been able to isolate or repair the problem, then you may be able to pursue legal action depending on your state's lemon laws.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Most states you are at or near lemon law territory.

By your purchase date, you are likely in possession of a vehicle that suffered from a crushed wiring harness during engine installation. Unless your first two visits were early on, then it was a known issue that should have been checked for from the start.

Sounds like your dealers' service departments aren't so hot, which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely looking into the lemon laws here in California. Seems I need to have the problem occur for a fourth time before I'm truly eligible to fall under this law. I have almost no doubt that I will have to take my car back in for a fourth time in approximately two weeks from the time I pick up this time around.

It's a shame that I love this vehicle so much. But, if I have to give it back due to the lemon law (fine with me), I'm not sure that I'll want a replacement Renegade. I've had Jeeps in the past and never had a problem, but this whole experience is really turning me off to the brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased it August 14, 2015 (I initially posted I bought it in July, but failed to remember that I didn't sign the paperwork until August). As of today, I've been without the car for a total of 26 days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This time that it's in the shop, I've been without it for 14 consecutive days.
I ended up calling the FCA US LLC Customer Care group and they are created a claim for me, and now it's a waiting game to see when the dealership will "fix" my car and get it back to me. I'm sure once I get the car back, that it'll have the same problem within 2 weeks. At that point, according to the FCA, I'll be able to pursue the option to replace the vehicle. I'm not even sure that I want to replace it. After reading all the problems people have had with the Renegade, I'm thinking I want to bail on the brand all together.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
This time that it's in the shop, I've been without it for 14 consecutive days.
I ended up calling the FCA US LLC Customer Care group and they are created a claim for me, and now it's a waiting game to see when the dealership will "fix" my car and get it back to me. I'm sure once I get the car back, that it'll have the same problem within 2 weeks. At that point, according to the FCA, I'll be able to pursue the option to replace the vehicle. I'm not even sure that I want to replace it. After reading all the problems people have had with the Renegade, I'm thinking I want to bail on the brand all together.
I am approaching 2000 miles and still love mine. the passenger door rattled for a couple of days then stopped. other than that all good. Minor niggles because I am a grump (according to my wife).
I can understand what you are saying though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am approaching 2000 miles and still love mine. the passenger door rattled for a couple of days then stopped. other than that all good. Minor niggles because I am a grump (according to my wife).
I can understand what you are saying though.
I'm glad to hear that yours is running well. Fingers crossed it remains that way! I really love the vehicle, when it works... Another thing, which was minor, was that there was something wrong with the driver's window when I purchased it. Every time it rolled up, there was a clunking sound. That was another trip to the shop to fix. Something in the door panel was loose and it was an easy fix.

I guess I'm just so used to buying new vehicles and nothing being wrong with them until at least I've almost paid it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isnt there a known issue with some wiring harnesses getting damaged/crushed by the engine when they are installing them at the factory? I think I remember reading that while back?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.