Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, most of us in the US haven't logged that many miles yet, so I've been focused mostly on a proper break-in of my vehicle.

The procedure cited by Jeep is pretty standard:

Jeep Online Manual said:
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
and axle) in your vehicle.
• Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
• While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws
contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided.
• The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy
conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated
climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintaining Your Vehicle”
Owners of vehicles that get above-average gas milage for their model often attribute it to a proper break-in period. Does anyone else have any good break-in tips?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yep.

No valet parking. Evar!

Change oil at 300 miles with dino oil and then at the first real oil change use a nice full synthetic like Mobil1 for the rest of its life. Esp. if you've got a turbo.

And then drive it like you're a valet attendant.

At 3rd oil change, get a used oil analysis (UOA) from Blackstone labs for a baseline on your engine wear.

I do it every year thereafter. IMHO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Renegade gasoline engine use this oil:
PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER
API SN, ILSAC GF-5, MS 6395, FIAT 9.55535-CR1 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE N°F042.F11, Chrysler MS 6395, ILSAC GF- 5

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
"PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER"

I saw that on the under-hood sticker. Lots of luck finding that here in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tend to baby my new vehicles for the first 1000 miles, which pretty much matches most manufacturer recommendations:

• Don't leave engine speed constant for prolonged periods of time - vary it up, if you're on the highway, spend 5-10 minutes at the same engine speed, then downshift or speed up/slow down every 5-10 minutes so that you're not staying at one RPM.
  • Let the engine oil properly warm up before putting excessive loads on it (although this is good advice even beyond the break-in period)
  • Avoid high RPM's - it's OK on occasion when you need it, but don't make a habit out of it - there will be plenty of time for that later.
Is the above necessary? No, I've seen people take their brand new cars and drive it like they stole it from day one, and it lasted until they got rid of it 5 years later. The real difference is in the long term - if you're planning on keeping your car beyond the warranty period, might as well go easy on it during those first 500-1000 miles.

I also swap the oil out at 1000 miles and if I'm really up to it, will send a sample in to Blackstone Labs for analysis and change interval recommendations.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Obviously, most of us in the US haven't logged that many miles yet, so I've been focused mostly on a proper break-in of my vehicle.

The procedure cited by Jeep is pretty standard:

Owners of vehicles that get above-average gas milage for their model often attribute it to a proper break-in period. Does anyone else have any good break-in tips?
Followed this procedure, as closed as possible, on our 2015 Patriot. Engine now has 2500+ miles and never skips a beat. This 2.4 has a powerband around 3500-5000 rpm. I hope the 9 speed in the Renny is as quick and responsive as the 6 in this Patriot, Jeep might have a winning combination . Time will tell, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love full synthetics . . . have been using them the full life of my Zuki Grand Vitara (2002, 187K miles) and the engine has never skipped a beat, nor burned a drop of oil. Totally plan on doing the same with the Renegade. But, what about this advice to go with a non-synthetic for a first change after breakin? Sounds like perhaps a good idea. And what's with the super low viscosity ratings. I'll be Out West this summer in 100 degree plus weather. Do y'all think I should put in the recommended viscosity?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
so basically can't drive at hwy speeds till 1000 miles???
No, the recommended speed is 55 mph until you have 100 (one hundred) miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Searching for "Chrysler MS 6395" yields some good info:

http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787
PETRONAS "SELENIA K POWER" ENGINE OIL, APPROVED BY CHRYSLER in CHRYSLER'S document titled MS-6395

(Material Standards 6395), is a motor oil certification issues by Chrysler and (per page 108 of the 2013 JK Wrangler User’s Guide) is the recommended fill for the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine...

IS SUPPLIED BY PETRONAS EUROPE located in ITALY at this address: VIA SANTENA 1, 10029 VILLASTELLONE, TURIN, ITALY.
IN DOCUENT MS-6395, CHRYSLER ALSO RECOMMENDS OTHER MOTOR OILS EASILY FOUND IN NORTH AMERICA, BOTH THE USA AND CANADA.

BEST WISHES,
VENDOMMARIUS

QUOTING, THE ABOVE: "PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER" I saw that on the under-hood sticker. Lots of luck finding that here in the U.S.A."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chrysler's recommendation in the 'owners manual' is ambiguous

I AM SEEKING YOUR CLARIFYING AND DISAMBIGUATING INTERPRETATION(S) OF FCA CHRYSLER GROUP'S 'OWNERS MANUAL' STATEMENT HERE QUOTED IN PART:

LINE 1 "Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km)."
LINE 2 "After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable."
LINE 3 "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in."
LINE 4 "Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."
(end quotation)

#1 First Question pertains to LINE 1: Precisely what does "moderately" mean? Can anyone quantify and qualify this?
#2 Second Question pertains to LINE 2: Precisely what does "After" imply? DOES "After" IMPLY THAT BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" speed should/must be kept below 50 mph? IF YES, THEN BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" WHAT should/must that MAXIMUM speed be? SHOULD WE GUESS 25 mph, 30 mph, 40 mph, etc?
#3 Third Question pertains to LINE 3 "While cruising......" IS THIS "cruising" performed BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" (LINE 2), OR, IS THIS "cruising......" performed AFTER "the initial 60 miles"? ARE WE SIMPLY TO GUESS THE CORRECT ANSWER?

IT IS GRANTED THAT THE IMMEDIATE CONTEXT MAKES CLEAR THE RECOMMENDED "Wide-open throttle acceleration" IS TO BE PERFORMED "While cruising" (LINE 3) IN A HIGHER GEAR, AND NOT "in low gear" (LINE 4). BUT THE THIRD QUESTION REMAINS: WHEN IS THIS "cruising" TO TAKE PLACE (the Third Question)?

AS CHRYSLER'S NOW-FAMOUS 'RECOMMENDATION' IS BOTH AMBIGUOUS AND GRAMMATICALLY 'WOOLY-HEADED,' LEAVING US ALL TO BE GUESSING... WHAT THEN IS YOUR INTERPRETATION OF "THE CORRECT BREAKING-IN OF THE FAMOUS AND VENERABLE PENTASTAR 3.6 Litre V6 ENGINE?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Drive it carefully, that's all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I AM SEEKING YOUR CLARIFYING AND DISAMBIGUATING INTERPRETATION(S) OF FCA CHRYSLER GROUP'S 'OWNERS MANUAL' STATEMENT HERE QUOTED IN PART:

LINE 1 "Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km)."
LINE 2 "After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable."
LINE 3 "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in."
LINE 4 "Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."
(end quotation)

#1 First Question pertains to LINE 1: Precisely what does "moderately" mean? Can anyone quantify and qualify this?
#2 Second Question pertains to LINE 2: Precisely what does "After" imply? DOES "After" IMPLY THAT BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" speed should/must be kept below 50 mph? IF YES, THEN BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" WHAT should/must that MAXIMUM speed be? SHOULD WE GUESS 25 mph, 30 mph, 40 mph, etc?
#3 Third Question pertains to LINE 3 "While cruising......" IS THIS "cruising" performed BEFORE "the initial 60 miles" (LINE 2), OR, IS THIS "cruising......" performed AFTER "the initial 60 miles"? ARE WE SIMPLY TO GUESS THE CORRECT ANSWER?

IT IS GRANTED THAT THE IMMEDIATE CONTEXT MAKES CLEAR THE RECOMMENDED "Wide-open throttle acceleration" IS TO BE PERFORMED "While cruising" (LINE 3) IN A HIGHER GEAR, AND NOT "in low gear" (LINE 4). BUT THE THIRD QUESTION REMAINS: WHEN IS THIS "cruising" TO TAKE PLACE (the Third Question)?

AS CHRYSLER'S NOW-FAMOUS 'RECOMMENDATION' IS BOTH AMBIGUOUS AND GRAMMATICALLY 'WOOLY-HEADED,' LEAVING US ALL TO BE GUESSING... WHAT THEN IS YOUR INTERPRETATION OF "THE CORRECT BREAKING-IN OF THE FAMOUS AND VENERABLE PENTASTAR 3.6 Litre V6 ENGINE?
The limit does not exist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first time buying a car, so I am trying to research and understand the best I can on making sure I take care of my car. I will be driving about 5 hours to pick up my car and then driving it home. I;m not sure I have a question, but just wanting to make sure I take care of my car correctly :) so far most things I've read has been very helpful :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is my first time buying a car, so I am trying to research and understand the best I can on making sure I take care of my car. I will be driving about 5 hours to pick up my car and then driving it home. I;m not sure I have a question, but just wanting to make sure I take care of my car correctly :) so far most things I've read has been very helpful :)
Make sure you re-read these two posts:

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/426-jeep-renegade-maintainenance-service/10562-break-period.html#post110210

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/426-jeep-renegade-maintainenance-service/10562-break-period.html#post129306

Just remember to follow those steps, especially, don't just put it on cruise control for five hours and sit at one speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
THANK YOU JOELG1988. CAN YOU BE MORE PRECISE? I AM TRYING TO QUANTIFY THE QUALITATIVE. BEST WISHES, vendommarius
There's no way to describe "drive it carefully". Pretty much drive it normal and don't do anything that would put strain to the engine. It's all common sense. Best regards.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts