Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of the broken sunroof function of the MySky, I’m pleased to say that it’s finally repaired, and all without assistance of a dealer.

About 3 days after purchase, the sunroof was resisting closing and ultimately broke a couple of the clips that are part of the mechanism. Went to the dealer to fix it but they were useless and didn’t know a thing about the roof. Ended up taking it back home and going to a different dealer who said the broken part could only be acquired by purchasing an entire new roof assembly for $1400. Definitely not. I tried fixing it with different remedies but all ultimately failed and I eventually gave up. Until recently when member @Gianni.cabe found the part on Aliexpress. Bought it immediately

After many hours of work with me and my father, I’m convinced we are the first to repair this common issue with the MySky, and I’m here to say that it is possible to fix.

As well as this, I’m positive I’ve found the root problem of the clips breaking. I think it’s a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks for the back of the roof panel, causing resistance and binding and ultimately enough stress to break the clips.

The process to fix the roof is thorough, so I’m not going to elaborate on how unless someone is curious. I check the forum daily so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting on an answer. I mainly made this post to let people know that there is knowledge available now to fix the MySky and can ask me if they please.

Link to sunroof clips

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello there. Really great of you to post this, along with the link to the part off AliExpress. I have a 2016 Latitude, 6spd with MySky - and I love it. The jeep and the MySky. But with all of the horror stories on this board, I'm just waiting for it to develop some serious problems. So again, thanks for the link and the update.

At the end of Fall, my MySky was acting up. Now that the weather is finally nice again (in Chicago) I'm going to pop off my panels to clean and grease the tracks this weekend. Did you follow-up any specific guide, etc. on maintenance (other than your repair)? You mention a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks - any recommendations for greasing those tracks? I've used white lithium grease in the past, which seemed to work. But given your experience with the repair, I'm very interested in any help/guidance regarding the MySky. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
697 Posts
After several years of the broken sunroof function of the MySky, I’m pleased to say that it’s finally repaired, and all without assistance of a dealer.

About 3 days after purchase, the sunroof was resisting closing and ultimately broke a couple of the clips that are part of the mechanism. Went to the dealer to fix it but they were useless and didn’t know a thing about the roof. Ended up taking it back home and going to a different dealer who said the broken part could only be acquired by purchasing an entire new roof assembly for $1400. Definitely not. I tried fixing it with different remedies but all ultimately failed and I eventually gave up. Until recently when member @Gianni.cabe found the part on Aliexpress. Bought it immediately

After many hours of work with me and my father, I’m convinced we are the first to repair this common issue with the MySky, and I’m here to say that it is possible to fix.

As well as this, I’m positive I’ve found the root problem of the clips breaking. I think it’s a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks for the back of the roof panel, causing resistance and binding and ultimately enough stress to break the clips.

The process to fix the roof is thorough, so I’m not going to elaborate on how unless someone is curious. I check the forum daily so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting on an answer. I mainly made this post to let people know that there is knowledge available now to fix the MySky and can ask me if they please.

Link to sunroof clips
Awesome to know! Thanks for the info! Will definitely be lubricating my MySky when I get a chance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone recommend a good lube to use on these tracks?
I used a generic white lithium grease. Used a spray can version of it since Autozone didn’t have any other version. Not sure how long it’ll last but so far it hasn’t deteriorated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lubricate the outer sides of the rails, not just the bottom of the track.

Also lube the weatherstrip above the rails as the struts rub along these.
I was sure to get the entire thing greased up, I never want to have to repair this thing again. Never thought to lube the weather strips however, I’ll give that a shot as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello there. Really great of you to post this, along with the link to the part off AliExpress. I have a 2016 Latitude, 6spd with MySky - and I love it. The jeep and the MySky. But with all of the horror stories on this board, I'm just waiting for it to develop some serious problems. So again, thanks for the link and the update.

At the end of Fall, my MySky was acting up. Now that the weather is finally nice again (in Chicago) I'm going to pop off my panels to clean and grease the tracks this weekend. Did you follow-up any specific guide, etc. on maintenance (other than your repair)? You mention a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks - any recommendations for greasing those tracks? I've used white lithium grease in the past, which seemed to work. But given your experience with the repair, I'm very interested in any help/guidance regarding the MySky. Thanks!
Everything was just a shot in the dark. I couldn’t find any published documentation for MySky repairs.

Just some generic white lithium grease is all I used. All I could find at the time was a spray can version, but it hasn’t deteriorated like I was worried it would, yet. But I’ll probably get an actual container of the stuff and smear it on there. Basically just grease any parts that move or rub. Don’t go overboard, but you’ll know when it’s just right. @Nev also said to lubricate the weatherstripping the rear brackets rub against, so I’d recommend doing that as well.

I have the 2015 MySky, and the only problem I ever had with it is just the broken sunroof mechanism, no leaks or anything like that. I suppose if you just keep on top of the roof, it isn’t that much of a horror novel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everything was just a shot in the dark. I couldn’t find any published documentation for MySky repairs.

Just some generic white lithium grease is all I used. All I could find at the time was a spray can version, but it hasn’t deteriorated like I was worried it would, yet. But I’ll probably get an actual container of the stuff and smear it on there. Basically just grease any parts that move or rub. Don’t go overboard, but you’ll know when it’s just right. @Nev also said to lubricate the weatherstripping the rear brackets rub against, so I’d recommend doing that as well.

I have the 2015 MySky, and the only problem I ever had with it is just the broken sunroof mechanism, no leaks or anything like that. I suppose if you just keep on top of the roof, it isn’t that much of a horror novel.
Extremely helpful info, thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
and it turned out that the guides broke away from these clips. The rails move but the panel does not open. Do you try to glue the guides with the clips or order new clips from aliexpress?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and it turned out that the guides broke away from these clips. The rails move but the panel does not open. Do you try to glue the guides with the clips or order new clips from aliexpress?
Order new clips for sure. I tried numerous methods to fix it but all failed.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Link to sunroof clips
When I bought my 15 TH the MySky didn’t work. The dealership I bought it from fixed it for free. Replaced the motor and I think those clips as well and it’s been working fine for over 2 years now but now I have a leak right in the middle of the panel and I’m not sure where the water is coming from. No cracks in the panel either. Strange.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my 15 TH the MySky didn’t work. The dealership I bought it from fixed it for free. Replaced the motor and I think those clips as well and it’s been working fine for over 2 years now but now I have a leak right in the middle of the panel and I’m not sure where the water is coming from. No cracks in the panel either. Strange.
Front or back of the panel? I ask, because I know the weatherstripping on the My Sky is apparently known for deforming and pulling away from how it's supposed to sit. Might want to check that from the top of the roof.

~ Casp

·
Registered
27 Posts
Front or back of the panel? I ask, because I know the weatherstripping on the My Sky is apparently known for deforming and pulling away from how it's supposed to sit. Might want to check that from the top of the roof.

~ Casp
Front panel

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My front panel has cracks in it that I mended with some jb weld epoxy, but I never have had water deep through them before the repair. The cracks are extremely hairline though, so they may be difficult to see if they’re there. Maybe try scratching the surface where it’s leaking and seeing if your nail catches on any imperfection. That’s all I can think of, no clue why water would come from the middle of the panel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts