Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. I saw your link for the clips but did not want to order until you wrote a write up.
I would order them now, they take a little bit to come in and I would for sure have the write up done before they come in. Plus, who knows how long they’ll be there before they’re sold out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had trouble with ALI Express, but googled the part # and found them on AMAZON (from a Chinese Supplier)
A little more expensive but I went with it... long shipping time, but we'll see.. Can't wait to see the installation write up!

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
My MySky has bitten the dust. Wasn't closing fully. Dealer then bodged it during the service by heating/bending the plastic trim plate the yellow hatch lever buts against.

After scoring the dealer 0 out of 10 on a survey they called me and booked it in last week to fix it properly.

Got home closed the MySky. Then tried opening it and "CRUNCH". No longer moves.

Booked in again next week. Warranty ran out on the 23rd April. Lets see what they offer to do.

If they want 2 grand then I'll be ordering these off Amazon!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'd like this as well, please
Thanks. I saw your link for the clips but did not want to order until you wrote a write up.
I had trouble with ALI Express, but googled the part # and found them on AMAZON (from a Chinese Supplier)
A little more expensive but I went with it... long shipping time, but we'll see.. Can't wait to see the installation write up!

This is awesome!!!! I had in another post about 7 months ago that my Jeep dealership wanted $3,600 to replace the entire system. I also found the parts on Amazon for those interested Amazon.com: Protective & Decorative Strips 1pc Fit For Jeep Renegade Sunproof Clip Slideway Ceiling Bracket Bucklet Cable Original Genuine 77368445 77368446 Styling Mouldings (Left Plastic): Automotive
My MySky has bitten the dust. Wasn't closing fully. Dealer then bodged it during the service by heating/bending the plastic trim plate the yellow hatch lever buts against.

After scoring the dealer 0 out of 10 on a survey they called me and booked it in last week to fix it properly.

Got home closed the MySky. Then tried opening it and "CRUNCH". No longer moves.

Booked in again next week. Warranty ran out on the 23rd April. Lets see what they offer to do.

If they want 2 grand then I'll be ordering these off Amazon!
Finally finished the write up. Can be found here.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Mine's been with the dealer since yesterday. No update so far. Currently driving a 2WD dealership decal'd Compass Brooklyn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After several years of the broken sunroof function of the MySky, I’m pleased to say that it’s finally repaired, and all without assistance of a dealer.

About 3 days after purchase, the sunroof was resisting closing and ultimately broke a couple of the clips that are part of the mechanism. Went to the dealer to fix it but they were useless and didn’t know a thing about the roof. Ended up taking it back home and going to a different dealer who said the broken part could only be acquired by purchasing an entire new roof assembly for $1400. Definitely not. I tried fixing it with different remedies but all ultimately failed and I eventually gave up. Until recently when member @Gianni.cabe found the part on Aliexpress. Bought it immediately

After many hours of work with me and my father, I’m convinced we are the first to repair this common issue with the MySky, and I’m here to say that it is possible to fix.

As well as this, I’m positive I’ve found the root problem of the clips breaking. I think it’s a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks for the back of the roof panel, causing resistance and binding and ultimately enough stress to break the clips.

The process to fix the roof is thorough, so I’m not going to elaborate on how unless someone is curious. I check the forum daily so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting on an answer. I mainly made this post to let people know that there is knowledge available now to fix the MySky and can ask me if they please.

Link to sunroof clips
Hi,

Thanks for your post dear.
today I was trying to lubricate it and left up the roof and pressed the button then it brock :(
I'll order this from the link but I found a genuine mopar part in this link can you please check if it's the same: 68255545AA - Mopar Parts Giant

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Mine is at the dealer now for a fix, it doesn’t open but you can hear the motor, they didn’t understand when I brought it in with other issues (gas cap filler tube and airbag warning) they fixed those but didn’t know I meant the roof panel didn’t open they thought I couldn’t remove it manually. Well i have the lifetime warranty and only pay a $100 deductible so let’s see what they find

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your post dear.
today I was trying to lubricate it and left up the roof and pressed the button then it brock :(
I'll order this from the link but I found a genuine mopar part in this link can you please check if it's the same: 68255545AA - Mopar Parts Giant
Anything from the Mopar websites isn’t the right thing. I’ve tried ordering everything I thought it could be and it turns out to be something completely wrong. Even the dealership said they couldn’t get that piece alone without ordering an entire new roof.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Update:

Dealer has had my Renegade since last week. They got back to me on Friday to say they will go ahead with the fix, but I'm paying Labour. ~€300.

Parts are >€2500 so looks like they are replacing the whole thing. (Warranty only ran out end of April so Jeep France are picking up the tab on that.)

In the mean time I've already received the Chinese parts from AliExpress:

So I'll have spares if needed in future. ;)

I'm still in the Compass. "Brooklyn Edition" 2WD 1.6 DERV: Meh.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
I did get the Renegade back end of last week.
They had it for 22 days in the end.

They have replace rails and brackets.
All seem to be ok. Haven't taken the panels off yet.

Should last another 4 years.

Hopefully.

Cost me €228. But I did have the Compass for the entire time at no cost. (Usually there is an "insurance charge" of €25/day.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
After several years of the broken sunroof function of the MySky, I’m pleased to say that it’s finally repaired, and all without assistance of a dealer.

About 3 days after purchase, the sunroof was resisting closing and ultimately broke a couple of the clips that are part of the mechanism. Went to the dealer to fix it but they were useless and didn’t know a thing about the roof. Ended up taking it back home and going to a different dealer who said the broken part could only be acquired by purchasing an entire new roof assembly for $1400. Definitely not. I tried fixing it with different remedies but all ultimately failed and I eventually gave up. Until recently when member @Gianni.cabe found the part on Aliexpress. Bought it immediately

After many hours of work with me and my father, I’m convinced we are the first to repair this common issue with the MySky, and I’m here to say that it is possible to fix.

As well as this, I’m positive I’ve found the root problem of the clips breaking. I think it’s a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks for the back of the roof panel, causing resistance and binding and ultimately enough stress to break the clips.

The process to fix the roof is thorough, so I’m not going to elaborate on how unless someone is curious. I check the forum daily so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting on an answer. I mainly made this post to let people know that there is knowledge available now to fix the MySky and can ask me if they please.

Link to sunroof clips
Jeepatron

I purchased the new clips from alibaba . They took about 1 week to get here from china. I did read your write up on how to remove the old clips and install the new ones. I was afraid I would do more damage by removing the headliner so here's what I did ( not recommended )

You can remove the old clips and install the new ones by using 2 flathead screwdrivers. I wedged the flathead between the old clip and the track, they broke out into pieces . After removing the small broken pieces of plastic from the track. I also wedged the new clip into place by slightly tweaking the track with a flathead screwdriver and carefully tapping the new fragile plastic clip into the track . Carefully making sure that the guide fell into the hole at the end of the clip.

Without your input. I would've had to pay 2000 bucks to the dealer to fix it. Not to mention it was going to take 2 weeks to get it fixed.

Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for the link and the write up.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Link to sunroof clips
Recently my 2017 Jeep Renegade MySky got stuck in open position and took to dealer. They also said the whole roof needs to be replaced for$6500.
Could you tell me the process you did to fix this problem. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Jeepatron

I purchased the new clips from alibaba . They took about 1 week to get here from china. I did read your write up on how to remove the old clips and install the new ones. I was afraid I would do more damage by removing the headliner so here's what I did ( not recommended )

You can remove the old clips and install the new ones by using 2 flathead screwdrivers. I wedged the flathead between the old clip and the track, they broke out into pieces . After removing the small broken pieces of plastic from the track. I also wedged the new clip into place by slightly tweaking the track with a flathead screwdriver and carefully tapping the new fragile plastic clip into the track . Carefully making sure that the guide fell into the hole at the end of the clip.

Without your input. I would've had to pay 2000 bucks to the dealer to fix it. Not to mention it was going to take 2 weeks to get it fixed.

Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for the link and the write up.
Anytime. I just know I would’ve really appreciated the information if it was available. Glad it all worked out alright with your method!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts