Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
After several years of the broken sunroof function of the MySky, I’m pleased to say that it’s finally repaired, and all without assistance of a dealer.

About 3 days after purchase, the sunroof was resisting closing and ultimately broke a couple of the clips that are part of the mechanism. Went to the dealer to fix it but they were useless and didn’t know a thing about the roof. Ended up taking it back home and going to a different dealer who said the broken part could only be acquired by purchasing an entire new roof assembly for $1400. Definitely not. I tried fixing it with different remedies but all ultimately failed and I eventually gave up. Until recently when member @Gianni.cabe found the part on Aliexpress. Bought it immediately

After many hours of work with me and my father, I’m convinced we are the first to repair this common issue with the MySky, and I’m here to say that it is possible to fix.

As well as this, I’m positive I’ve found the root problem of the clips breaking. I think it’s a lack of lubrication on the rear tracks for the back of the roof panel, causing resistance and binding and ultimately enough stress to break the clips.

The process to fix the roof is thorough, so I’m not going to elaborate on how unless someone is curious. I check the forum daily so I wouldn’t keep anyone waiting on an answer. I mainly made this post to let people know that there is knowledge available now to fix the MySky and can ask me if they please.

Link to sunroof clips

Link to instructions on repair

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.. thank you for write up.
My Renegade 2016 Trailhawk is at dealer now for a bunch of things, including the 3rd time (3 different dealers) for sunroof closing issue.
The problem is.. can open smoothly, but when closing, there's resistance and it eventually kicks back (my guess as a safety process if something is in the way). Sometimes it will close in steps if I hold the button. I have not seen any clips in the way nor any crunching sounds.

Previous times, dealers have "cleaned the tracks" and changed the motor. These have helped, but a few openings later and I'm back to not using the roof.

1. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?
2. Do you think clip changes would solve my problem?
3. Has anyone had any additional problems if you've gone ahead with the dealership replacing the entire MySky assembly? (That is the current recommendation... I have the max care warranty and it is covered).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.. thank you for write up.
My Renegade 2016 Trailhawk is at dealer now for a bunch of things, including the 3rd time (3 different dealers) for sunroof closing issue.
The problem is.. can open smoothly, but when closing, there's resistance and it eventually kicks back (my guess as a safety process if something is in the way). Sometimes it will close in steps if I hold the button. I have not seen any clips in the way nor any crunching sounds.

Previous times, dealers have "cleaned the tracks" and changed the motor. These have helped, but a few openings later and I'm back to not using the roof.

1. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?
2. Do you think clip changes would solve my problem?
3. Has anyone had any additional problems if you've gone ahead with the dealership replacing the entire MySky assembly? (That is the current recommendation... I have the max care warranty and it is covered).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you
We have a 2021 Renegade Limited with sun/moon roof. this summer it started doing exactly as you described. My wife would hold the button down, and I gently nudge it till it moves, sometimes it closes all the way, other times I have to nudge in several places along the track. No evidence of obstruction cracked rubber, or warning from the Jeep. I'm scheduled to go to the dealership for repair, now I'm nervous. I also wonder if it's a flawed computer component. Glad not to be alone with this issue. Any words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,391 Posts
Check that the rails and rear roof rubbers along side the tracks are greased properly.

The rails need greasing on the outer sides, not the bottoms of the tracks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
We have a 2021 Renegade Limited with sun/moon roof. this summer it started doing exactly as you described. My wife would hold the button down, and I gently nudge it till it moves, sometimes it closes all the way, other times I have to nudge in several places along the track. No evidence of obstruction cracked rubber, or warning from the Jeep. I'm scheduled to go to the dealership for repair, now I'm nervous. I also wonder if it's a flawed computer component. Glad not to be alone with this issue. Any words of wisdom will be deeply appreciated.
Hi there. If you need any support at your upcoming appointment, please reach out!

Kate
Jeep Cares

41 - 46 of 46 Posts