Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
'tards.

If they are going to try and charge that, I'd look at an aftermarket solution with a higher, less water ingress susceptible solution.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok it looks like this is only on the 1.4's.

On a different but similar side note, I was quite happy (sarcasm) to see my AC low pressure line (I think? The one that runs from the condenser (front of car) to evap (inside cabin)) is plastic. Yes, plastic! Even has plastic T-taps sonic welded for the low press switch and service port. Is this the new trend in automotive A/C?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened on my daughters 2017 1.4L Renegade and after about a month of blocking off the port on the intake side as well as blocking the port on the airbox so that no contaminants got in to the system, she started getting the check engine light. Read the codes and it showed code P1CEA, which had to do with the EVAP system and "integrity of the hoses/tube between the throttle body/intake and the fuel tank". So my thinking was that the broken nipple and blocking off of the ports had something to do with it. After calling salvage yards all over the country to try and get my hands on a used one in good condition and having no luck, we found a Jeep parts distributor that had a new airbox for $183, $203 with shipping. We put the new airbox on today (the new airbox even came with a new air filter, which helped a little bit with the sting of the cost) and after a few miles, the code is gone. Now that I have the airbox completely off and can look in to where the restrictor is that creates the venturi effect, I feel confident that I can trim the piece down on the airbox and put a hose nipple back in place; then use a rubber hose instead of the hard plastic hose.

My advice to any new 1.4L Renegade owner is to immediately replace that hard plastic hose with a rubber rose, being careful to route the hose so that it stays clear of any parts of the engine that get hot. That way, if you access the air filter and move the lid out of the way enough to get at the air filter, the hose will simply flex instead of breaking this poorly designed piece of plastic. A piece that probably costs $10 to make but $200 for an owner to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Say I used a couple of zip ties myself. As well as 1 inch heat shrink to cover the zips up. Haha and I plastic welded it in place once I had it right where I wanted it. She runs quite a bit smoother too. Damn oil change place broke mine and failed to tell me. I found it trying to figure out why the hell it was idling so rough.
2017 renegade sport 4x4 6 SPD manual. 57,000

·
Registered
2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4 L TurboAir
1 Posts
Hey there, same problem. I have a 2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4L 6 spd manual, it's given me zero issues for the past 1.5 years. That is until last week, as I was driving over my third mountain pass of the day. I started losing power and a white cloud began to emit from my exhaust. I pulled over and assumed the engine had overheated, when I popped the hood I realized there was more of an issue, see photo. After an exhaustive search for an affordable replacement of the air box top, I'm exploring options for repairing it with JB weld, epoxy, zip-ties, etc. As I am not as knowledgable about auto repair, any tips are appreciated. Realistically, I am looking for a sufficient fix until I can afford/find an affordable replacement. Thank you in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, same problem. I have a 2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4L 6 spd manual, it's given me zero issues for the past 1.5 years. That is until last week, as I was driving over my third mountain pass of the day. I started losing power and a white cloud began to emit from my exhaust. I pulled over and assumed the engine had overheated, when I popped the hood I realized there was more of an issue, see photo. After an exhaustive search for an affordable replacement of the air box top, I'm exploring options for repairing it with JB weld, epoxy, zip-ties, etc. As I am not as knowledgable about auto repair, any tips are appreciated. Realistically, I am looking for a sufficient fix until I can afford/find an affordable replacement. Thank you in advance for your advice. View attachment 2396349015
Mime broke in the exact same spot. I literally used superglue on both pieces and held it till it dried and i ha e zero issues. Might have to do it several times because a good nudge will pop it off again. Just remember to take the fittings of the hoses off the airbox before taking yoyr air filter out

21 - 29 of 29 Posts