Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Latitude. Keyless entry, keyless start (Do they ALL have that? I have only owned this one so I don't know if that's an option or part of a package or whatever.) My thing is this. Currently it is 91 degrees here in Ohio. I was out doing stuff, all stuff that I could do from the car. At some point I wanted to run into a store. However, it is too hot to do that with my dog in the car. If I could leave it running with the AC on and lock it, that'd be cool. (Get it? AC? Cool?) I have read some (let's use the term) vigorous discussion on a Facebook forum (that I left) with people arguing both ways, that if the fob leaves the cab the car will shut off in 5 minutes, that it just wasn't possible and it's a security thing..... Has anybody actually done this in the first person who can tell me the real story? It seems to me that I should be able to do this. I can't be the only one that needs to keep his dog cool in those rare instances where I need to run into a store and don't know how long I will be.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My Latitude has a regular key, no keyless entry or keyless start. We had a Dodge loaner with that feature and when I went into a store to get my wife a coffee the car shut off not long after I exited the car with the fob in my pocket. There may be a timer but I think the loaner shut down was based on how far the key fob was away from the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My Latitude has a regular key, no keyless entry or keyless start. We had a Dodge loaner with that feature and when I went into a store to get my wife a coffee the car shut off not long after I exited the car with the fob in my pocket. There may be a timer but I think the loaner shut down was based on how far the key fob was away from the car.
I have no experience of this, but surely it can't depend on distance. Out of range is out of range. It can't tell if the fob is in France or Syria.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
The car doesn't stop when the key is out range. You just can't start it again without the key if you stop it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How can I be sure the delay does not depend on distance? If the car is in range, then technically it could be programmed to vary a delay time with signal strength, but that seems pointless, expensive, and crazy.

If the car is in USA and the fob in France, the car will not be receiving any signals, so when you move the fob to Syria - an increased distance - there is no way the car will know. The actual range is of course measured in feet, and not many of them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 2018 Push Button Start, and Keyless Entry. I can and do lock the car with the fob while the engine is running. The engine will continue to run until it runs out of gas if I let it. The AC stays on so my dog stays cool while I'm away from the car. That being said, if the dog turns off the car, she can't restart it until the fob is back in the car with me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wouldn't this be an easy test for the OP ?

While at home, without the dog in the car, start the car, get out, close the doors, lock it then go inside and wait. If it appears to continue to run, walk down the block to test the distance claim.

If I left my dog in my car, which I don't, I would have to test this myself, not rely on what others say on a public online forum (no disrespect). While it may work for others, there is no guarantee it will work on yours. Your dog's safety and life depends on this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
With my 2018,wife & I were going to the park car running, went in to the house to get my water I forgot,got back the engine was off.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
Stop/Start should still work.* Mines is always deactivated.

*Another reason not to leave your pooch in the car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have push button start and I can lock it with the fob while it's running. I'll sometimes do that when it's 100 degrees, to run into the post office, 7-11, or something. If Fido is with me, I'll do it, but only for a couple minutes to run in and out of the building.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts